1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Shoot! Rangers goalie sure has come alive. Made some big saves last night.

Sure the hell don't want TB winning again. Don't want the Rangers so viva la Oilers!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm rooting for Colorado. Don't want to see TB three-peat. Hate the stinkin' Rangers. I honestly believe Edmonton does not have the goal tending. Mike Smith is a head case. He'll stop 30 shots, then let in three out of the next four. I still think TB are the favorites, because they have the experience, the goaltending and they can score and skate with anyone. But Colorado is the one team I think that can take them down.

3. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I know it's just one game but NYR must have had quite a team meeting after being down 3-1 to us. Sure the hell can't count the TBL out after 1 game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Colorado looks unstoppable. If memory serves they won the Cup their very first year in existence moving from some Canadian city.

5. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yep, from Quebec. They had Eric Lindros to thank for that. Quebec had the first overall pick, Lindros said he wouldn't play for them, so they made a monster trade with Philly. The rest is history. Like this team, that team was loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm guessing I was a Quebec person I'd have been pissed as hell them moving and winning the Cup. Damn LV Knights almost won it all in their first year of existence. I was happy for MAF.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Rangers are done, finally. You have to be able to score 5 v 5, you can't depend on the PP as a strategy. Shesterkin held them in through the Carolina series and at times against Tampa Bay. The Rangers lived and died all season with their power play and goaltending, and it finally caught up with them. The Stanley Cup Playoffs will magnify every weakness. If the Pens would have had Jarry or even DeSmith, I think they beat the Rangers. However, I think they would have lost to Carolina.

Should be an entertaining SCF. Two good skating teams that both have some grit and toughness in their respective line-ups. TB could get Brayden Point back and it would be a huge lift as he's led the team the last two years in playoff goals. You have to give Colorado the edge in overall speed, but TB gets the nod in net and overall playoff experience. My guess is the Bolts in 7.

8. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Colorado having an easy run at Cup.

9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Hell of a SC game last night.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well they locked up Letang until he is ready retire. Looks like Malkin and Hextal are going to have to find common ground or else the core will finally be broken up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Hextal swoops in at the last moment and keeps the core together for one last hurrah. Way to go Ron.

This is what a captain and leader does.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Preseason double header - on now and @7pm

• Like Like x 1
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Good luck in 2022-23!!!!! Don't know the make up of the team but I know we got 3 great old guys. I think Pens have a decent net minder. Could have used him against the Rangers last season.

LETS GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    The forwards are about the same less Brian Boyle. Matheson and Marino are gone. They got Jeff Petry a big defenseman from Montreal who plays with grit for Matheson. Signed free agent Jan Rutta from Tampa who also is a pain to play against. Sent John Marino to NJ for TY Smith. Similar players in similar situations. Both showed much promise their rookie seasons but have been inconsistent since. There will likely be another trade as the Pens now have 9 defensemen with NHL experience. I don't know why they resigned Kapanen. He's been nothing but a disappointment since they reacquired him from Toronto. I hope he figures it out this year. It would help if a couple of minor leaguers, most notably Legarre and Poulin could make the big club and contribute. They could move out more cap space like Jason Zucker (who I like but has been injured the better part of the last two seasons) and Kapanen. We'll see, it should be fun!

• Like Like x 2
  15. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Pens off and flying in the first period of game one of 82. Roll out to a 3-0 advantage over the 'yotes. Hextall basically put the band back together but added some sandpaper and nastiness with Ruuta, Petry, Archibald and Poehling.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Malkin looking good. Hope he stays healthy this season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If they can keep the top 6 healthy and the third line finds the chemistry they started with last night it is going to be a good season. Although a few scary moments last night too. Doumolin taking a slapper to the palm of his hand and the coyotes taking Jarry down in the third. Good game though.

18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Fortunately, the Pens get the Lightning last night with Elliott instead of Vasilevskiy on the second game of a back-to-back for the Bolts. But to be fair to the Pens, they've had their share of success against the best goalie in the game right now. Also, to be fair to Elliott, he did all he could while the Pens bombarded him until he finally broke. I already think the Pens are stiffer to play against. Archibald hits anything that moves. Petry and Ruuta are both thumpers and a healthy Jason Zucker plays with reckless abandon which somewhat explains his injury history. Ryan Poehling (came over from Montreal with Petry in the Matheson deal, former first rounder), has some edge to his game as well, but he'll likely be the odd man out when Teddy Blueger returns. Hopefully, they continue to stack wins and most importantly, stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    NHL just released the official notice for the retro reboot jersey's this year. Pens are black with the 92 roboPens logo( still one of my favorites) with yellow accents on the shoulders and bottom. Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Good bounce back tonight for the Pens after they wasted a brilliant effort by DeSmith against Montreal. Jarry was two minutes away from a shutout when the Kings got a power play goal. Ruuta, Guentzel, Rakell, Petry, Poehling and Carter your goal scorers. Petry was an animal tonight after a tough outing against the Habs.

• Like Like x 3
  21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Choices, Choices, Choices....... :help:Wife and I are getting away for some much needed alone time this weekend but where we are going I found out the Pens are playing just 30 miles down the highway. She doesn't want to go to the game but the location is so convenient. Somehow I may be spending some alone time near center ice. Do I just keep flipping the coin til I get the results I want? :hmmm:Pens are on fire right now. Some non-biased advice is needed.:popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    "Shame on you for six weeks if you missed this one!" as the great Mike Lange used to say. Pens sleepwalk through most of the first period and fall behind 2-0 then 3-1. Then they took over after that. Archibald got them started. Then goals by Ruuta, Sid, Heinen with two and then McGinn while Jarry shut 'em down the rest of the way. No Jake? No problem. Pens get their first road win at the Jackets 6-3.

• Like Like x 2
  23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I drove over 6 hours today to be a half hour away from this game. Didn't want to drive any further but had a great time with the wife at the lake. Came back to the hotel and watched this game locally. Thought I made a good decision as the Pens were completely outplayed the first 15 minutes. What a comeback though! Dang I'm kicking myself now for missing that game live. Pens are averaging 5+ goals a game this season. If they can keep this going they will shatter records. Long season though. Keep the foot on the gas. Love that the crowd was a huge Pens turnout.

LET'S GO PENS!

• Like Like x 3
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm currently mulling ordering the new jersey with Archibald's name and number(15 this go round). His dad is somewhat of a local legend as he took on most of the state of Wisconsin during the infamous water bottle incident and just love how Josh plays. Might not be the scrapper his dad was but there is no give up in his game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I love his game Thorny and I felt that since Horny was traded there was not enough of that irritating, physical play up and down the line-up. I like Poehling's game as well and they added a couple of thumpers on the blue line with Petry and Ruuta. They don't have to be The Broad Street Bullies. They just have to make the other teams stars take some lumps when teams like the Rangers and Islander try to kill our smallish forwards. Plus, now we see for the first time what a completely healthy Jason Zucker brings to this team. Hustle, speed and he's not afraid to hit either. He's sort of a tweener pest.

• Like Like x 2