1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Start Pickett next game!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 22, 2022.

1. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    This is the same Trubisky I watched for four years in Chicago. The only difference is he seems a bit slower now when he scrambles. Sure he'll show a flash for a quarter here or a quarter there. If he has a great defense, he can even squeak a team into the playoffs. But that is his ceiling. He played well in the first half tonight. Not great but decent. However, the second half was a complete abomination. Both defenses were gassed after playing tough games and then having only three days rest before tonight's game. Their defense was also missing a key pass rusher and several key DBs in the second half. And we only score 3 points???? I'm sorry that right there is worth a benching. That Stains defense was ripe for another 4th quarter drubbing and our offense couldn't do anything. He's already losing our receivers who are having a harder and harder time hiding their frustrations. I seriously don't think he can start much longer, play at this level and not completely lose his offense. We're already almost at that point.

I'm not blind to the fact Canada is an awful coordinator. We've all seen the carbon copy route assignments for multiple plays in a game. We've seen him running Pickens on straight line fly patterns for nearly an entire game with barely a target. However, there are receivers open on plays. Pickett was showing great accuracy in preseason play. Now that may not translate into regular season action but we need to find out. The line is playing well enough that we don't have to worry about getting Kenny killed out there. Let's see what we have. Continuing to start Mitch is just wasting time getting on with the next era of our offense. If Kenny ends up not being the solution, let's not wait for 3-4 years like we did on some QBs between Bradshaw and Ben. Watt is missing games and we're probably going to struggle to make the playoffs either way. Rookie QBs don't historically win Superbowls. So why not get Kenny's rookie season out of the way this year? Give him maximum experience heading into next year. Let's not wait for 20 years to get our next franchise QB. Mitch is who he is. He's not all the sudden going to turn into Aaron Rodgers. So let's see what Kenny has. And if he ends up being a bust, we can draft another potential franchise QB in a few years. Rinse and repeat until we strike gold. Without a franchise QB, you typically aren't going to win a Superbowl in this era.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Right there with ya and agree with many other things said here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Fans are going to be really passed if Kenny dos3nt start next week vs Jets being a home game and all !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Brisset can easily be a solid starter for the steelers. :(

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He is part of the reason we lost. And if anything, he is the reason we are not winning. There is NO value in benching our first round pick, future franchise QB who is 24 years old and started 4 years in college for a guy who hasn't played since he was release by the Bears. I feel like it is only being done for some obsolete tradition. I cannot see how anyone could make a sound argument that they are CONFIDENT that Trubisky gives us a better chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I keep seeing Mitch run out of a clean pocket or throw the ball early when there is no pressure on him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Low energy? Lacks confidence? Wow. You can read the minds of people as you watch them on television? That's amazing!

Pardon me for being the voice of reason, but it is ridiculous to blame Trubisky for the three consecutive three-and-outs. The most important one came right after the Browns took the lead. Trubisky threw a beautiful pass right into the hands of Johnson, who dropped it. The next possession, Garrett bulled right through Moore and kept Trubisky from stepping into a throw to Johnson, who was wide open. On the next play, third down, the linebacker ran right through Harris to get to Trubisky. The breakdown was not at quarterback on those drives.

Also, and this was my primary point last night, they aren't making a change.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...bisky-as-starter-following-loss-to-cleveland/

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has played better in the NFL, so no, that wasn't his ceiling.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Start him, start everyone

• Like Like x 1
  10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Unfortunately, he then couldn't play against our defense. so..

11. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Why lose with Mitch Trubisky when you can see what Kenny Pickett can do?

12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Horrible they voted checkdown mitch as captain

Mason could do the same as i avoid the middle mitch

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just going by what I see, Scribe, and YES, my perception of Mitch is that he’s low energy and lacks confidence. Maybe that’s just his style. Eli Manning came across that way but he was a darn good quarterback. So far in his career, Mitch has been a darn mediocre quarterback. He failed in Chicago and we’re starting to see why. He was a backup last year to Josh Allen and many thought that some of Josh’s magic dust may have settled on Mitch and all of a sudden the switch was supposed to flip and he was going to become a competent NFL QB. It ain’t happening. We’re starting to understand why the second overall pick has been a failure in the NFL. We’ve got our number one pick, the most NFL ready quarterback in the draft and who outplayed the other two quarterbacks in the preseason sitting on the bench because Tomlin is bound and determined to stick with mediocre Mitch! As I’ve said, it’s time for Pickett’s NFL education to begin! We’re going NOWHERE with mediocre Mitch!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at the routes they ran in the first two games. That isn't all Trubisky. That's Canada.

They did go to the middle more last night, though not having Freiermuth more involved in the passing game was a huge mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It seems to me that your perception is based on pre-conceived notions and frustration, not actual facts.

It wasn't Allen's magic dust. It was the coaching in Buffalo that helped Allen fix his own mechanical flaws. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they were able to do the same for Trubisky.

That said, the change doesn't seem to be happening this week and none of it is going to matter if that is the defense we are going to see as long as Watt is out.

16. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I understand they have multiple issues. I can think multiple things. Slants, crossing routes, hitches, ins are off limits. Throwing into double or triple coverage over the middle and streaks are the only options

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mike Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Fire him. Fire everyone!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Unless Trub has some sort of miracle game, I believe the boobirds will be loud and the chant for Pickett will start early.

I'm hoping they start Pickett before I go see them. IMO the Jets would be a good time to start him. No way Buffalo, NY should be his first start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So...you accuse me of being able to read the minds of people I see on TV and now you're trying to read my mind. Mmmmkay...

I had no pre-conceived notions about Mitch although you are correct in that I am becoming increasingly frustrated at his below the line play. I was very hopeful when the Steelers signed him and thought that maybe, just maybe, he would be able to develop into a competent NFL quarterback. I was hopeful that the criticisms we heard about him when he was in Chicago were unfair and that Matt Nagy just didn't give him a fair shake. I was optimistic that his time as a backup in Buffalo sitting behind Josh Allen did him some good and allowed him to re-set his career. But the FACT is that so far, none of that seems to be the case. Based on my observation of his play so far, I understand why he failed in Chicago and found himself a backup in Buffalo. Because he IS a backup. He has some physical skills and can make an occasional play. So could Tim Tebow. My point is simply this...Kenny Pickett is the best quarterback on the Steelers roster right now. He's a mature 24 year old who has played a lot of football. He won the job in the pre-season. He's a much better anticipatory thrower and has much more ability to throw receivers open than Mitch does. He does a better job of scanning the field and finding the open guy, i.e. distributes the football effectively giving his receivers opportunities for YAC. There is no reason he should not be starting the next game against the Jets. If Mitch had proven ANYTHING in the league up to this point, then give him the benefit of the doubt. But he hasn't, so it's time to make a change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I’m not going to be watching any more games until Pickett starts. It’s just as waste of my time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think Tomlin will go with Trubisky until the bye. At that point the Steelers will be 1-7 or 2-6 and then he will have no choice but to make the switch.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have no facts to back up your claims about his energy level and lack of confidence. That is factual, not based on mind-reading.

You just backed up my assertions about pre-conceived notions and frustration driving your posts.

Don't get me wrong. There is logic to starting Pickett next game, but it has nothing to do with Trubisky's play last night. He did exactly what they wanted from him on all but one pass in the first half and he was let down by a killer drop and poor pass protection in the second half.

This week would offer extra time for Pickett and the team to adjust to the change. It also provides the weakest opponent they will play for a while. Most importantly, the last two games made it clear this team is going nowhere. They could very easily see 1-2 turn into 1-5. They had a plan based on a middling offense and a great defense. That plan was clearly ruined when Watt was hurt. I doubt Pickett will be able to save the season. The reason to put him in there would be to acknowledge that 2022 is a lost cause and it is time to get their quarterback of the future on the field. There is no way Tomlin is going to make that call three weeks into the season.