1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WE SUCK WITHOUT WATT!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 18, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Uhhhhhmmmm. You can't pick against us.....Trader...LoL. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He had issues with either alcohol or drugs..or both. Ruined his career. Not saying he was all pro stuff, but he was very quick and athletic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    <mod edit>

Had a funny head shaking can’t do that gif but wont post but yeah, you know better than that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What am I trading? Losses for wins? Sounds good to me!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    IMO sacks are one of the most overrate stats in the game of football.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Cmon now. Would you rather have 2nd and 18 or an incomplete pass and 2nd and 10?

Aside from that they cause numerous false start penalties on the opposing offense when they know the defense is bringing it with success.

On MNF in 2019 the Steelers sacked the Bengals QB 8 times making for a miserable day for the Who Dey team. I'm sure they would have preferred to be sacked 0 times which were the amount of sacks given up by the Steelers on their way to a 27-3 victory.

Yea. Sacks are overrated. Whatever.:nomnom:

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Let me explain it to you like this. In the NFL an offense runs approximately 1000+ plays during the season.

The Steelers lead the league in sacks in 2021 with 55 sacks. 55 sacks vs 1000+ plays for an offense. Think about the math for a second.

Sometimes sacks come in bunches. Sometimes sacks happen a game here or there. Sometimes 1 or no sacks at all.

Overrated stat IMO.

Sacks that happen in BIG or crucial moments are much much much more important. Even the idea of pressure a defense can bring on game film is much more important in the mind of the opposition than the actual number of sacks a team gets. The idea of pressure creates mistakes more often than than the number of sacks in the grand scheme of things.

So whatever yourself for your lack of understanding of the numbers and the game. Nah nah nah nah.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Stick with your prevent defense and I'll look forward to the next Blitzburgh style of defensive play.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Unfortunately, you didn't read what I wrote. Think about the MATH. Steelers offense ran 1075 plays.

What does 55 sacks MEAN in the grand scheme of 1075 plays over a 16 or 17 game season?

Overrated stat IMO. Again, sacks that happen in critical moments are more important. The threat of the pass rush on film gives the QB jitters.

In the Cowher era Billichick was concerned about the Steelers pass rush and run defense.

He did his thing early in the game. Allowed the Steelers pass rushers to tire. Then he struck. BB knew that Brady was a lethal passer. Throw short early. Give him time later when defenses tire. More often than not it worked for that coach and Qb duo. Even if they didn't have the all star pass rusher that got 20 sacks in a season.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct....He had problems with both.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Matters when they are done. Really sacks are always good.

12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Sacks matter more in crunch time. Sacks are good. IMO overrate unless crunch time.

55 Sacks for the Steelers in 2021. NFL offenses over 1000 plays. The threat that the Steelers defense presented on film to hit the QB is more important.

The pass rush and pass defense must work together to have success as a defensive unit.

This is why the 2007 Pat loss the Superbowl.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear what You are saying, and I read all that You posted on this...., but look at it this way....
    1st, and 10....on any play....would You rather be ....gains no yard(so 2nd and 10)
    Gain a few yards ( let's say 2nd and 7), or.....
    Get sacked (2, and 11...12...13, or more). A sack is always a loss of yards ,and downs.....in No way can that be bad in most instances. Also sacks,and stopping the run doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. :shrug:

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I can't understand the negativity that poster has on sacks. At the very least it's a loss of a down and negative yardage, often leads to a fumble. The heavy pass rush causes disruptions for an entire play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not negativity. Sacks are an OVERRATED STAT. Bruce Smith played in the NFL 19 seasons. He had 200 sacks.

Turnovers are more a more important stat in terms of a team's winning or losing %. No one uses Sacks as a metric for wins vs a loss. WHY?

Heavy pass rush is FILM. Sacks are simply a number.

That's what I said the pass rush on FILM IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE NUMBERS. Coaches review film. Players review film. This is what I gave the Pats as an example. Even in the Cowher era. I simply listened, watched, observed, and learned.

Sacks are an overrated stat. What shows up in film sessions in terms of pressure a QB will face is more important.

16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Generally speaking. If a -8 yard play by the defense is an overrated stat then by the same rationale is a 8 yard gain by the offense an overrated stat as well?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Sacks are not at all overrated. Quarterback pressures not involving a sack, however, are greatly underrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sacks to me is an indicator of an individual or teams' ability to pressure the QB. Something coaches will probably take into consideration when developing a game plan. I don't have statistics or other evidence so I rely on common sense telling me that someone who has several sacks is applying greater pressure overall than someone who has fewer. Rational is that QB pressure isn't just evident by sacking the QB as someone who gets sacks is probably coming close on a lot of other plays. An offensive coach may need to change blocking assignments, i.e. hold in a RB/TE back to help the play get off right and that to me is valuable. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I simply provided examples why I believed SACKS are an overrated stat. I believe that mathematicians would agree with me.

20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The NUMBERS DON"T matter. What shows on film matters. Teams prepare vs the opposition based on the study of film.

Numbers are for fans and fantasy football folks.

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Aren’t the NUMBERS representative of what’s seen on the FILM?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I feel dirty after reading this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Unfortunately if a coach orcteam is using film they are already a couple of decades behind. (Had to do it lmao).

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I knew someone would agree with me about sacks. They take away the fun of watching the opposing QB beat your team. And rarely can I remember a room full of Steeler fans going crazy over sacks saving the day.;)

25. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    The InfoWars.com guy

Anyway, I think he means Mac Jones.