1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sticking neck out for Flores not paying off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Steelmann

Steelmann New Member

Sep 16, 2022

There is no doubt in my mind Myles Jack would play just as well without Flores.

The truer test are the under achievers. You know who they are.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't even accept that premise. He probably saw a few comments by fans and decided that was the consensus.

Of course, some fans are dumb enough to think that the magic formula for Tua was getting Flores out of there, ignoring the massive impact of adding Tyreek Hill. He may be a terrible person, but he's a dynamic receiver who makes big plays and creates opportunities for everyone around him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The thought process was he has 10 years of knowledge of the inner workings of Belichick and the Patriots. If he's a half decent football brain he should be able to use that to help us win the game. Hence why he sat in on the offensive meetings and helped Canada with the game plan which he hasn't done all season. He only did this because of extensive knowledge of the Patriots. And it provided nothing against a terrible Patriots team at home.

I've seen teams sign cut players and get more of an advantage then we got with a former 10 year coach of the team. So seeing that and finding out he hated Tua and seeing Tua ball out tells me all I need to know. He's another Tomlin. Terrible at making decisions and not good at X and O's.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Too early to tell who is doing what right now. Bottom line for me will be if the Fins are doing better or worse with Flores not there and is our situation better or worse since he is here. Time will tell, but not right now. My only concern is if there is a clear-cut understanding of who is accountable for what on this defense and the team overall. If there is, then let things develop a little more and see what happens. This Thurs night will be a very good indicator as Clowney and other Cle players are banged up and we're missing TJ with Bush banged up. JMO>

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He can offer suggestions all he likes, but it is still Canada's offense. Blaming linebackers coach for not fixing the offense is just stupid. Flores is there to coach the linebackers and help improve the defense overall. The results so far in that are positive. Jack is playing well after reports that his game had fallen off in Jacksonville. Bush looked the best he has since before the knee injury until he hurt his foot. They even managed to make Leal look competent at outside linebacker.

Also, where did you get that he hated Tua? You are making things up again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Most analysts haven't liked Tua as a starter, either. He has received a ton of criticism already in his young career. Even Keyshawn Johnson said yesterday that he didn't play well enough for the first 52 minutes on Sunday. I'm not sure we can make any definitive statements whether or not Tua is a quality starter in this league. One half of a quarter of football means nothing and doesn't prove Flores is an idiot.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    A high school JV quarterback could have thrown TDs to Hill considering how open he was.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is exactly my point. Don't get me wrong. Tua has moments when he looks great and the fourth quarter of that game was one of them, but if you are looking for reasons he might have improved, the team adding Hill has to be No. 1 on the list.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This has been up for 2 days and the premise still fails miserably. What Flores is as a position coach will pay dividends in the long run imho, but you can only do so much with the personal you have. Jack is a baller and likely would have solidified that space in any capacity. Spillane and Bush are different problems. One has heart and limited ability, the other has neither at this point.

A coach teaches, the players either learn and do..or not. To create an entire thread on Flores at this point is beyond ridiculous.

To expect his knowledge about the Pat's would alone bring victory, then create a stupid dialog of complete failure is just what we expect from you..more nonsense.

Not every coach..not coordinater makes a good, let alone great HC, though the lacked intensity they still held the opposing team to 17 points. In today's NFL that should get you a win..the problem is not with Flores at all, it's an O that's not playing NFL level football...period.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe, but I still wonder if Mitch could have. Got to see em to hit em. JMO>

11. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This whole thread has taken time that I can't get back, but I'll add on and contribute nothing here that makes any sense.
    So, Flores coached at Pats for several years and some assume that nothing has changed since he left there.
    The Steelers know that he coached there for several years and hope that nothing has changed there.
    The Pats know he coaches here and used to coach there where things may or may not have changed. They know, we don't.
    The Steelers know that the Pats know that he coached here, and hope they forgot about it.
    The pats know that we know that they know he coached at the Pats and maybe hope they continue to not change anything.
    In the end, everyone knows what each other knows and Pats makes adjustments to counter the Steelers adjustments, based on Flores input, to make sure everything has changed.
    Therefore, nothing Flores knows matters and should not be counted on to alter the outcome of our game.
    End of ridiculousness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not a troll that waits until the team loses and then start to post, I don't start the hey look at me threads like some of these clowns.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Flores was last with the Patriots in 2018, and they a new OC, so I doubt he had any real knowledge of their gameplans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Flores is a good hire and no doubt helps. But Geez Louise, reading some of the expectations for this guy you’d think he was Paul Brown, rolled in Vince Lombardi, dipped in Merlin the Magician. I’m sure he helps but he doesn’t cure leprosy or turn water into wine (or Devon Bush into Dick Butkus).

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Exactly. Any coach who hasn’t change his game plan since 2018 is a fool. Don’t say it…

16. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I don't think Flores= Watson.

Odd comparison.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Odd how? He got a second chance,Vick got a 2nd chance, Massage is getting a second chance

18. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    There are so many things in this thread that have no relation to each other yet getting
    By the "2nd chance" logic
    bill belicheck = deshaun Watson and I don't think that's what you mean.

And **** I can swap out belicheck with like 70% of the coaches to ever coach in the league.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with most of this, though I think he has helped Jack and Bush so far. Bush did look better against the Bengals than he had at any point since the knee injury. I remember some talk that Jack hadn't played all that well for the Jaguars last year, but he looks very good so far in Pittsburgh. Spillane isn't good, but there is no talent for Flores to develop there. So far, I think he is helping the Steelers by doing his job, getting good work out if the linebackers.

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Don't forget, when the Steelers lose a game, yinzers go full retard.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's see how Tua does against competent DB's and a pass rush.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters aren't competent defensive backs?

Yes, the Ravens fell apart, but Tagovailoa can actually play when he's healthy and he's got some great weapons. Waddle was already emerging as a start and now he's got Hill opposite him. They are going to be tough for any defense to deal with all season.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The replays I saw of Ravens pass defense covering receivers was not good, I could have made those plays.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Dolphins have two great receivers. Maybe their plan was that good. Maybe those guys were just gassed. But it is absolutely false to claim that the Dolphins haven't faced competent defensive backs. That is what was so impressive about Sunday, that they carved up a secondary that has Humphrey and Peters. (I'm assuming they were in the lineup and not hurt. Perhaps I missed an injury.)

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I thought their secondary was depleted