1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitch Trubisky already throwing Matt Canada under the bus?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 18, 2022.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Seen enough of Matt Canada to realize that I would take most of our offensive coordinators that we had in the past 10 years over Matt. That includes Todd Haley, Bruce Arians, Ken Wisenhunt, Chan Gailey. Matt is on par with the Ray Shermans, or Joe Walton, Kevin Gilbride.

Mitch T is not the answer, stairs down the receivers, not very accurate, does not scan the field well. My bet Kenny goes in the week after the Thursday night game.

2. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    If you subscribe to the notion he rarely makes it past his first read...then it's what was run/called. most of those are too close to the line of scrimmage to be secondary and beyond reads. Some are check downs, sure. But the point remains, the play calling is dictating most often where the ball is going...especially quickly with a poor offensive line. More alarming, majority is under 5 yards and to his left. Also suggests he struggles throwing to his right...and his first read is to his left. Real easy for a D to plan for you if you're limiting yourself to the left side of the field and under 10 yards either by play design or poor QB play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well Canada better make a 180 and start utilizing the middle of the field.

That offensive underperformance was frustrating.

Mitch stating the receivers in the huddle are jawing about being open and do this and do that. I feel he is handcuffed with Canadas nonsensical play calling. Not that I am defending Mitch he is a part of this and seems to be playing scared. Can't have that. Playing not to lose, to close to the vest.

You now see why Ben would go rogue. Canada is going to drive this offense off a cliff. Even if Pickett is starting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are we already forgetting the same offense was being run under Ben?

Yes, after only two games it looks like Mitch is who we thought he was, any hopes of him elevating his game after getting away from Chicago and spending a year learning behind Allen have all but evaporated. Having said that, the game plan still sucks.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Didn't the offense Canada ran in college suck?.. I don't keep up with college ball so i don't know, but i thought i heard his offense sucked in college:shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Kevin Gilbride won 2 super bowl as OC with the Giants.So don't compare him with Matt Canada!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Which backs up what I'm saying. There are routes all over, but the chart is only showing where He throwing.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Game plan sucks, but there are open plays....I freaking promise You.....also this pass blocking is better than last year, and Pickens is open a lot. Hell last years center can't even get a jersey now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Hello all, new to the board. My 2 cents is that Mitch is not seeing the field like a veteran QB should. I had high hopes for Trubisky after hearing from my Bears fan friends/bears fans in general as they said they thought Nagy was his downfall. I even thought why did we draft Pickett as they are the same QB. However, he looks skittish in the pocket (even on his roll outs), looks rushed when he isn't under duress, and doesn't show much anticipation. Is it just me or is he mainly targeting Johnson with the occasional throw elsewhere? His deep throws are poorly thrown or out of bounce aswell.

I'm not saying Pickett is ready but I saw a more efficient offense when he was on the field during the preseason. He may only be reading one side of the field at this time but he looks decisive and was throwing the recievers open (i.e. Friermuth over the middle for a 20 yard gain). His throws also looked sharp and on a rope when he rolled out. I'm thinking we may see a different offense when he gets on the field...hopefully sooner rather than later so we know if this is Trubisky's ineptitude, Canada's playcalling, or a combination of both.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Last years center is not NFL caliber. But he takes up a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes, but I don't think He's even dressing so far.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. This is what we had with Fitchner. it's what we had with Rudolph, Hodges, Ben and now Trubisky. It's what we have with Canada. Numerous QB's. 2 different OC's. Perhaps it's what Tomlin wants. After all, if he wanted more of a wide open passing game, he wouldn't have brought in Trubisky. He wouldn't have named him as the starter. He wouldn't be making public comments about not wanting to throw it deep.

I don't care if Canada stays or goes. The reality is if he leaves, the next guy will be handcuffed with both Trubisky and Tomlin. The culture of a team is due to the head coach, not the assistants. Tomlin hired Canada. Tomlin can tell him what he expects from him. Tomlin can fire Canada. Tomlin can bench Trubisky.

Guys are running routes down the field. Mitch isn't throwing to them though. Even if it's because he's gun shy, that's who he is and by bringing him in, the message from Tomlin is that's the system he wants. Otherwise he wouldn't have brought him in

• Like Like x 2
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes he did but he was less then 500 % with the Steelers offensive coordinator and Jags. As a Steeler he was 15-17 making him the second-least successful offensive coordinator in Pittsburg Steelers history. With the Jags he was 13-19.

So yea I wood still compare him to Matt Canada. In case you don't know, I'm never wrong. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes he was the same offense being run under Ben. But Ben had that ability to take over a game plan when it wasn't working. Remember how many times he would go into hurry up no huddle offense and start playing street ball and called his own plays. No way does MItch or any other QB on this roster has that ability. Canada and Mitch need to eventually go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to argue that.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Clearly, Canada just doesn't use a fullback much. He should. I think they are wasting a guy who can help.

Heyward is behind better players. I'd rather see Freiermuth and Gentry out there. I'd rather see a third receiver out there. Unless they are going to go with some three tight end looks, the third tight end isn't going to be out there with the offense much.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky isn't Roethlisberger. I don't think he is capable of taking over the play-calling the way Roethlisberger did. He certainly doesn't have the same leeway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt the next guy will be stuck with Trubisky unless they fire Canada during the season. Most likely, the change would come in the offseason and Pickett is likely going to be the starter next season, if not sooner.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think you're giving Tomlin too much credit here.

20. ribbybuster

ribbybuster Member

Sep 20, 2022

right? lost in this for some is that both sides can be right and wrong. mitch may be salvaged yet, but he doesn't look to be the adequate stop gap we were hoping for while canada's likely in over his head as well. i wouldn't say tomlin erred terribly in either decision, but it's clearly not working out at this point in time and the season is far too short for a much longer leash, imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    if guys are open downfield (which the replays shows they are) what’s to prevent Trubisky from passing to them for a first down or more? Will Canada give him a demerit? It just doesn’t make sense. The only thing that makes sense is Trubisky doesn’t see the field well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben chimed in on fans calling for Kenny and fired a shot at Canada:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Qb club....they never call each other out. He was talking to Merril H, and Hoge was calling Trubisky out, and Ben said its because He's not a Qb. I watched the whole episode.
    Nobody(well I'm not) is saying Canada's offense is great.....go back to last years post.....I complained about it all the time, but the games are showing people open....now will this offense play calls win a SB....I'm not so sure, but it can look way better than it has this year.....especially with the line getting better every day.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is missing opportunities, but it isn't all him. The play-calling is an issue, too. Roethlisberger often fixed that by just taking over when necessary last season. I doubt Trubisky will be doing that.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Charlie Batch is still harping Ben wasn't allowed to call audibles last year, and is also stating Mitch isn't allowed to this year either.

It limits how successful you can be, but on the other hand you have to have the right QB who knows when to check out of a play.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1