1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sticking neck out for Flores not paying off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bush played his best game since the knee injury against the Bengals, then he injured his foot Sunday. No coach could make an appreciable difference in Spillane's game. His physical talent is well below average. I think he had already reached his maximum potential before Flores got here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Ok, great. thanks. I believe you.

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I guess you missed the part where he helped with the offensive gameplan. The one where Tomlin admitted after the game they decided not to take shots deep because the Patriots are known for covering it well. Both offenses were advertised as terrible going into this game. Holding the Pats to 17 isn't some big accomplishment. 10 years of inside knowledge on Belichick and the Patriots and can't even beat a mediocre Patriots team at home. All around terrible.

Not really.. He won a Mike Tomlin Super Bowl last year going 9-8 and according to Dolphins fans. Flores wasn't a fan of Tua and ruining his development. Dolphins did what the Steelers should've done years ago and moved on from mediocrity. Tua has 739 yards and 7 tds in 2 games. It might take Mitch 4 more games for those stats.

4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin did his friend a solid. Nothing else to look at other than Flores essentially ruining any chance of ever being a head coach again, right or wrong.

Tomlin brought him in to keep him viable. Otherwise Flores would likely be unemployed in the NFL right now unless Flores had another close friend in the coaching ranks that would hire him.

The first two games has clearly shown the same things we already know and knew.

Mitch Trubisky is not a starting QB in the NFL.

TJ Watt is extremely valuable, hence the ****ty record when he isn't playing.

Mike Tomlin's strengths only show when he has talent. When the talent isn't there or is injured, he gets exposed like a playboy playmate at a photo shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense was decent, but made two huge mistakes and failed miserably on that last possession. Witherspoon lacks great speed, but his physicality and ball skills are supposed to make up for that. If he is step-for-step with a receiver, he should make the play. He had great position on that deep ball right before the half. He can't be giving up touchdowns on a ball that should be intercepted. Also, Sutton dropped an easy interception. This team isn't good enough to survive those sorts of mistakes.

I have no use for the excuses about that last drive. If all the opponent is doing is running the ball, you need to be able to get a stop. There is no excuse for letting the Patriots run the clock out like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When did Tomlin say Flores contributed to the plan? You keep insisting that happened, but you aren't providing the evidence. That makes me think you are making it up.

Also, Tomlin didn't say what you and others keep claiming he said. He never said the Steelers didn't take deep shots because of the Patriots' reputation. He credited the Patriots for having those routes covered. Is it possible he was covering for his quarterback missing open receivers deep? Absolutely, but they did not admit to avoiding an entire part of the field just because of New England's reputation. One reporter misrepresented the quote that way and the Tomlin haters are running with something that didn't happen.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    First off, it puts the Steelers at a disadvantage with the league. I'm sure they are real happy with us picking up a coach suing them. It doesn't even pay dividends against a terrible Patriots team at home.

Steelers and Tomlin did the right thing. He deserves to be coaching in the league. Maybe not a HC with his track record but a coaching job in some capacity. But the problem is Tomlin hiring friends just because. Wasting draft picks on Maryland players just because. It's why this team has become a disaster. The more say Tomlin has the worse it's got. It actually worked in the beginning when Colbert called most the shots and Tomlin just coached/motivated. Everybody focusing on their strengths. Now Tomlin just wants to hire friends and blow draft picks on terrible Maryland players. It's a disaster.

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Do you realize how crappy the Dolphins are as an organization? Flores .490 winning % there over three seasons was the highest of any HC since Dave Wannstadt left in 2004. The guy managed to win 8 of the last 9 games last season and they fired him.

As for Tua, it's hard to develop someone who can't stay healthy. Miami has improved the OL, but let's wait and see how many games he plays this season before anointing him the next big thing, because given his track record in college and two years in the pros, I have no faith he can stay on the field and that's not Flores fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re ridiculous. He sat in so they could pick his brain since he coached with NE. You really think he went in there and was going to change how they have been operating for the last two seasons.

upload_2022-9-19_15-21-54.gif

• Like Like x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not sure how you can watch the Dolphins the last 2 weeks and act like they made the wrong decision. He was an average coach basically .500 and didn't like their franchise QB. Not to mention seeing what he brought us in the Patriots game, he's obviously not a very good X O guy like Tomlin.

So tank and get an average coach a QB he wants or fire him and roll with your #1 pick. Easy decision and the Dolphins made the right one apparently.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It's not surprising that Tua has suddenly became a great passer. He had Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle running completely uncovered through the Ravens horrific secondary. Still though he did make the throws to these open guys to the tune of 469 yards and 6 TD's against the Ratbirds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Because it's two frickin' games, that's how. If you want to use a limited sample size then how can you look at the last 9 games last year where they won 8 and act like they made the right decision. Are you really going to put more weight on the first 2 games of this year vs the last 9 of last year. If nothing else I could argue, not that I necessarily believe it, but I'll say it, the first two this year are a continuation of the 9 from last year. Not to mention he was the most successful coach in the last 20 years of a franchise that has been only slightly less dysfunctional than the Browns.

Let me put it another way. The Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos started 2-0 last year.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ll go on record (already have on this board) as not liking the Flores hire. But I won’t lose sleep over it. It was a very “Rooney” like move. If he can get Bush to step his game up and help with the defensive performance, more power to him. I don’t think he’s the saint and martyr that he’s being portrayed to be in some media circles, however. I think he’s been somewhat dishonest and disingenuous in some of his accusations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wish we could combine Spillane’s heart and head with Bush’s physical traits. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes. Why is that so far fetched, it sounds exactly like something Tomlin would allow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lose a game, and all of the trolls show up :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were headed in the right direction when they got rid of Flores. His work is a part of their fast start.

Even if that weren't true, two games is way too small of a sample size to decide something like that. There are other factors in the fast offensive start. In case you missed it, they added this receiver named Hill. He's good.

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

naaaa u been here the whole time

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nailed the deadpan :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Your right, I’m going to ignore analysis from actual Dolphins fans and listen to a Steelers fan. Consensus from most Dolphins fans is Flores was ruining Tua’s development and they’re glad he’s gone. But the guy who can’t help us a beat a terrible Patriots team at home deserves all the credit for Dolphins success this year. Got it.

21. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Freaking Peanut Gallary unleashed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Flores has been primarily a defensive coach for the past decade, with a proven track record in New England. And most Steelers fans without an agenda would agree the defense has played well thus far, despite the amount of time they have been on the field. Not sure you can argue with the results to date, especially given the injuries thus far. I see absolutely no hard evidence to this point that this is a bad hire in any way, shape, or form.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Coach For Life was all smiles on the sideline as his team looked pathetic on the field. Get used to it folks. 9-8 and getting blown out in the first round is the new Steelers Standard.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You want to ignore a nine-game sample while insisting that a two-game sample is incontrovertible evidence.

By all means, provide evidence of this collective analysis by Dolphins fans, because I'm betting it was a handful of reactionary fanboys on social media. It is also irrelevant.

Your claim that Flores is somehow responsible for losing to the Patriots Sunday is comical. He made Witherspoon misplay the long pass before the half into a touchdown? He made Sutton drop an interception? He caused the muffed punt? He made the offense suck?

To be clear, he's not a secondary coach. He's not a special teams coach. He has nothing to do with the offense. This is just another of your ridiculous hot takes that make no sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well, you got us there. No doubt the best source of unbiased, accurate, and clear-eyed view of any team is from their fans. Just look at this MB!