1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When it will be the time to fire Matt Canada?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 18, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well..!!

It does beat being the Browns HC after losing to the Steelers before "Black Monday" arrives! They do seem to fire coaches after every final versus match against Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    When Tomlin took over the Playcalling duties from Butler was was no longer in charge of the defense.

You may be a big time Butler Fan boy, but Butler deserved to be forced to step down and no longer be in charge of the Defense. As I said he pretty much served out the rest of his contract as nothing more than a LB coach.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Butler took over OLB duties in addition to his DC role in 2019 after the departure of Joey Porter.
    He wasn’t fired in the middle of the season in 2021. He retired at the seasons end. More than likely forced out.
    I’m not a Butler fanboy. I thought he needed to go.
    Piece of advice. Research then post. Your memory on things is suspect at best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    its already too late to fire him. 2 games too many this season so far

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    True for the Ben's audibles but they had like 7 comebacks win in the fourth quarter last year too.Some were in garbage time but several were needed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    By all accounts there were guys running open yesterday and Mitch either didn’t see them or took the check down instead. I kind of gave the offence a pass last week because they were under a lot of pressure but the line did ok yesterday and gave the QB some time. I don’t know if that’s on Mitch on MC but I’m leaning towards Mitch tbh. His body language in the post game presser was that of a guy that doesn’t really believe in himself.

That is not to excuse the play calling. I wouldn’t expect MC to be fired but he can be moved to the side as somebody else said. What we saw yesterday wasn’t that far ahead of the Mason / Duck 2019 horror show, but they have much much better weapons now. There really is no excuse to be this bad.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I completely agree. Imagine if Mitch found Pickens just twice considering the plethora of times he was open.

My biggest frustration is that I'm seeing zero creativity in the play design. I saw some last week ala the throwback screen to Radar. I'm not seeing 2 or 3 shifts every other play. Heck, there wasn't many jet sweeps/pop passes. I think they called to shovel passes, with one gaining four yards and the other was busted and Mitch went to a different option on the play. This is a very vanilla offense compared to the creative masterpiece he had at Pitt in 2016. I don't know if he's being neutered to a degree, or he went away from the presnap eye candy stuff that I was excited for when he got hired. But either way, if this vanilla garbage is to continue, then I'd rather see someone else do the play calling. His situational calling is complete garbage. I think it's too late to try to figure things out. The offense has looked like a hot mess since Thanksgiving of 2020.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something has to be done, pull the trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly. Before we blame this all on Mitch, let’s see how he does with someone who knows how to come up with a game plan

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Probably a mistake on my part, but listening to The Fan is grim. Them reading post game quotes from players is quite damming. Really appears that Canada lost the players. That could always get better as the season progresses, but has the chance of completely falling apart. Which kinda sucks with how great this defense can be.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada is terrible. I don't doubt that Trubisky is part of the problem, but the play-calling is just as bad as last year. The excuse of limiting things for Roethlisberger is gone. The cushion of Roethlisberger just taking over and dragging the team to points late is gone. I think they would be better with Pickett, but I think this offense would be a bad fit for him, too. As others already pointed out, Pickett did a lot of his damage at Pitt throwing over the middle. I'm not sure Canada's offense will allow him to do that. Can they fire Canada now and hire Whipple away from Nebraska?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    No doubt, Mitch is also a major problem...But is Cooper Rush much better than Mitch?

I don't think so, but he had a much better game than Mitch against this same Bengals defense and the cowboys have a depleted WR core too...I don't consider Dallas a very good coaching team, but it's still a huge difference with the Matt Canada offense

The steelers need to make a change at the QB and OC position before it gets too late....Players are starting to get frustrated big time already and it's only 2 games...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    When skill players look to be in mutiny over the calls, it's over. I've defended him quite vehemently the past year +, but when it's time, it's time... and it's time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bruce Arians issue was going for it on 4th and 1 on the 35 and throwing for the end zone rather than just the 1+ yard needed. Haley’s job was to keep Ben standing upright, which he did. Ben’s gunslinger side let his inner diva show.

16. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    As many have stated, Mitch is throwing off his back foot quite often. One of his rollouts he was moving forward and took a step back to throw. In those cases he is lucky he isn’t caught from behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I it’s a shame, I felt before Mitch was brought in to make Mason compete rather than be given the job. That was before drafting Pickett. Unfortunately, Mitch was given the job based on his game experience and pedigree. He didn’t do anything to lose the job in camp, but IMO he didn’t do anything to outright win it either.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well if this $hit show continues Tomlin needs to go to Art II and say we need to make a change.

Canada is not an NFL caliber offensive coordinator

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    They can make a change after the game against the Browns, since they will have 10 days before the next game... Players have lost confidence in Matt Canada and probably also in Mitch Trubisky!

If the Steelers continue to have zero production for this offense, the Steelers are going to be with a record around 2-6 at the bye(just to look at the next 4 games after the Jets game!) and then it's going to be too late.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe Canada should go to Art2 and say we need to make a change...

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Be more specific please.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

This 100% Seeing the same thing. People have been wrongly accusing the OL. They did a good job yesterday but as you pointed out Trib never gets through his reads which causes him to miss open receivers. Kenny time?

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The country you mean?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Mitch Trubisky!

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good point, maybe Tomlin should go to Canada.