1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best and worst OC of the steelers since 1992?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Rank the last 10 OC of the steelers since 1992 in order!

Ron Erhardt(1992-1995)
    Chan Gailey(1996-1997)
    Ray Sherman(1998)
    Kevin Gilbride(1999-2000)
    Mike Mularkey(2001-2003)
    Ken Whisenhunt(2004-2006)
    Bruce Arians(2007-2011)
    Todd Haley(2012-2017)
    Randy Fichtner (2018-2020)
    Matt Canada (2021-)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1. Chan Gailey
    2. Ken Wisenhunt
    3.Mike Malarkey
    4.Todd Haley
    5.Bruce Ariens.
    All others take your pick

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ray Sherman has to be up there. His asinine attempt at forcing Stewart into a pocket qb have got to put him up there

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    From Best to Worst:

1. Ken Whisenhunt
    2. Todd Haley
    3. Mike Mularkey
    4. Ron Erhardt
    5. Chan Gailey
    6. Kevin Gilbride
    7. Bruce Arians
    8. Ray Sherman
    9. Randy Fichtner

I'm not ready to rank Matt Canada just yet although I'm not very enthusiastic about him.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Surprising that the OC that lasted the longest the last 30 yrs was Todd Haley. He had a reputation as someone who didn’t get along fellow coaches and Ben sure didn’t like him. But he last 6 seasons, twice as long as everyone else on the list, except Arians.

6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    No way Gilbride is ahead of Arians.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    You can probably order the last four in any order but Arians took years off Ben's career with his vertical-heavy offense coupled with a terrible OL. Gilbride had Kent Graham to work with.

• Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He also won 2 SBs in NY as the OC....so....was it Gilbride, or our crappy Qbs during His time here??? I remember people talking about Gilbride being done wrong here, and Stan Savran was one of them. So....:shrug:

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Best Steelers OC ever! 24764D6B-72DD-43DE-8BD1-8886B3E34EB1.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    maybe 30 years even?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don’t remember much before ever whiz so I’ll start there.

Tequila Todd
    Ken Whisenhunt
    Bruce Arians
    Randy Fichtner

Waiting on Canada

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    because people tend to pretend the 80’s didn’t happen.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Kordell's best year was under Gailey, also didn't Stewart want to be a pocket QB? Man the dude had an arm and was a horse though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He was electric with the ball in his hands. They foolishly tried to make him something he wasn’t instead of utilizing his strengths

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think at that time QBs like Kordell weren't thought to be effective. He was a tad to early or needed to go to a team with a more progressive thinking coach and OC

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He couldn't hit a broad side of a barn, but yes you are correct they should have made him WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Chan Gailey
    Ken Whisenhunt
    Bruce Arians
    Todd Haley
    Mike Mularkey
    Ron Erhardt
    Kevin Gilbride
    Matt Canada
    Randy Fitchner
    Ray Sherman

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that was then and this is now. one game and a year under a washed up ben doesn't tell the story. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can't make a list but for me Ron Erhardt is top because he understood the blue print. Punishing run game with tough defense. He utilized screen passes to great effect. Help solidify the Steelers trap with backs behind the pulling guard. He was boring and predictable but just the Packers sweep under Lombardi when done correctly no can defense. The next for me would Whiz and Mularky because they at least sought to understand the players they had and craft plays that used those skills.

In regards to Kordell and the pocket passer, if it was something he wanted. There is a commonly held belief that in order to be an elite QB you need to stand in the pocket and take the hit to deliver the ball. That was the stuff being fed to Kordell. If you watch American Underdog about Kurt Warner you see him being fed the same garbage in college. He would roll out scramble and makes plays that won games but his coach said he he would never go anywhere because he didn't trust the plays in the playbook and to stand in the pocket and take the hit. So he trained to do that and got destroyed time and time again in practice so he could stand in there and take a devastating hit to deliver a strike. Just stupid but that's my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    All you can do is judge Canada on his merits. Which puts him near the bottom of the list. This is as ugly an offense as Ive ever seen. Some of the old teams had zero talent to work with. Im not convinced this office wouldn’t be good under a different OC. The drop off when Canada took over had been glaring . He’s just been given excuses

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean like in today NFL???
    Remind Me who has Won the SBs in the last 20 years. Not any K. Stewart types in there.
    If someone mentions P. Mahomes I will laugh, ... ...... because K. Stewart ran for 5 years way more yards than him.
    So you got R. Wilson...who in His only SB winning seasons ran less than K. Stewart, and S. Young ....who in His only SB win ran way less than K. Stewart. I think You people forgot ....I'm not trying to be a a$$, but (not you) some of You people act like they didn't have designed runs, and Plays for K. Stewart......sorry to break it to everyone, but You must be able to play from the pocket. If not ....play another position.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And How did K. Warner win his SB.....running around like a chicken with its head cut off???
    No...from the pocket. Playing Qb from the pocket is the cake....everything else is the icing.
    No K. Stewart have won a SB. None. Closest is R. Wilson, and His only year winning a SB....He ran a lot less than K. Stewart.
    Don't even say P. Mahomes....he has never rushed as much as K. Stewart. So who are these awesome Qbs that are different that don't have to play from the pocket. Lamar Jackson, and His one playoff win....or maybe Mike Vick, and His whole two playoff wins. Maybe Cam Newton, and His whole 3 winning seasons :shrug:
    Enough....if You want to play Qb...in the NFL....playing from the pocket is 1st.....Hell all the rules are designed that way.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I make no statement about success vs failure or personal preference just that the prevailing opinion is that to be elite you need to be a pocket passer. The unfortunate thing is that for some that isn't an attainable goal. Athletic ability sometimes overshadows learning to play the game. I always thought Kordell could watch Doug Flutie and really learn how to meld both styles but he didn't and couldn't. In the end it comes down to two schools of thought and the frefences.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Chan Gailey personally lost the one AFC championship game against the Broncos. Down four late in the game Denver's defense was gassed. Bettis was picking up 5-7 yards a carry and we had first and goal at the 5 yard line. Gailey then thought that he would be tricky and have Stewart pass on first down and of course Kordell threw his 3rd pick of the game and the Elway Broncos then ran out the clock to win. It was one of the worst play calls in Steelers history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1