1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Game sights and sounds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I saw some were hung up on mechanics, which is not the point.
    It is those off schedule plays, improvision, the ability to get the ball to the open man.
    Mahomes displayed the worst mechanics ever when he did the behind the back pass, he completed it.

Mitch isn't our long-term solution, for sure.
    And I can say Kenny Pickett is either, but Mitch's job is to run the offense for now.
    Kenny no doubt will get a shot, and I hope he makes the most if it when it happens.
    :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Cincinnati keeping it classy. They must hire Pacman Jones as an ethics councilor.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    With Burfict as his advisor.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I probably would have felt different about the play, had Trubisky not thrown off his back foot several other times during the game. Trubisky was all over the place. He scrambled at times as soon as he took the snap. He threw a few sidearm. There was all the backfoot throws. He threw high. He threw behind. Honestly Mitchell was terrible on Sunday. I rewatched the game last night and still felt the same way.

On that particular play, if you look specifically at the outcome, yes it was a good play. I do realize that it was a free play so Mitchell was free to gamble. But even though Trubisky was on the move he still had time to stop and set his feet. Backfoot, across the body throws into double coverage are not going to be successful very often. My opinion is that it was a bad throw with a positive outcome.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not enough credit to Chuks picking up the offside rusher! He messes that up and they blow that play dead!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People try putting yourself into a pro QB position.
    With a horrendous OL as of now. 300 pounders getting paid to take your head off and end your career.
    Horrendous play calling by your OC. I am not sticking up for Mitch, he has to do a much better job with QUICK DECISION making'
    OC needs to be able to put our playmakers into a position to succeed. Our season hinges on this. It is really that simple.
    We have playmakers, get them the ball where they can show their talents.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with you about the improvisation aspect to the play. To be able to throw off your back foot, across your body, and still put the ball in the perfect spot is indeed impressive.

I think my problem with Trubisky is, at some point this guy is going to have to prove he can drop back, set his feet, and make accurate throws within the rhythm of the offense. Right now every play, looks like a broken play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    A look at a great play call...
    In screenshot 1:
    - The Bengals rush 4 (they did that a lot) they are looking run on 1st at 10 Jaylen Warren is the RB
    - Pittsburgh is 3WR set but showing run.
    - Pickens comes across in motion and gets the attention of the CB and draws him to the middle of the field. (this leaves the corner open)
    - Mitch sees that right away. (he is going to have Pickens on the backside should the TE be covered)

Screenshot 2:
    - The execution is excellent. They hold the LB's as it looks like a run
    - The CB continues to abandon his zone, he goes to center
    - Gentry carries out his block and allows the DE to see pass and puts the pedal to the metal.
    - Gentry slips into the open zone and takes off for a good gain.

This was a nice call, it was sort of setup by the Flea-Flicker that burned the Bengals defense earlier (3WR set, motion on the TE)
    and a couple runs from this formation.

The resulting TD by Harris was a nice call too.
    The Bengals bit hard on a FB dive
    Mitch made a fool of a helpless #59LB and Harris waltzes in....

So, in reviewing the film, they are setting up plays, and mixing formations. They are using motion to force the defense to react.
    I do see some questionable blocking (not terrible, but not good) mostly attributed to not playing in synch.
    The Bengals Defense disguised some defenses really well, better than I originally thought.

Winning ugly is something you have to do.
    Cincy is hostile territory. Pittsburgh went into enemy territory and won ugly.

I sort of agree with some complaints about the play calls.
    I don't think they were aggressive enough at times. I do hope to see some smoother execution against NE.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah, I'd have to agree.
    Especially if he starts going downfield more.
    Mitch to me is an enigma.

I think Chicago reached....
    Think Chicago sucked at bringing him on board.
    I don't really think Mitch has a high ceiling.
    But is Pittsburgh can protect him, run the ball and play good defense he will play well enough.
    I am no fan of his, just buying a little time to let Pickett get his sealegs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Great write up! I also enjoyed both of those play calls.

I am curious what you think of Trubisky's mechanics on both of those plays. To me, he seems to jump throw off his back foot, without the need to do so, on both plays. The play calls were great. The throws were also spot on, but Trubisky's mechanics were awful IMO.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mitch is what Mitch is.
    He is not a technician that's for sure.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It's funny. Mitch kind reminds me of another #10 with great mobility and poor mechanics. Maybe it has something to do with the number.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thats a lot of #1's like 3 of them including the jersey

14. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    we used to sing this at Sunday School, “This little light of mine, I’m going let it shine”