1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't our receivers run open?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Sep 12, 2022.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well our offense was 23rd last year and doesn't look to be a whole lot better this year. It seems like its hard for us to move the ball because it is. We historically haven't had this issue because we had a high end QB. We don't at the moment, so its going to be harder since we cant just rely on Ben being good enough to will the team down the field like he had in years past.

TBH I think the play calling has a bit to do with it too. Never really got into a rhythm and never really attempted to stretch the Cincy D. They were able to play a bit more aggressive because they didn't have to respect our ability to push the ball downfield. Once we find a way to do that, you'll start to see more holes in the opposing defenses.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Receiving Corps is not the problem here. Both the Offensive Line's play and Mitch's inability to see Receivers downfield are. For that matter, expect both to continue until further notice.

How George Pickens played in the preseason was by no means an accident. Pickens is legit.... but cannot show just how he is legit if Trubisky cannot see him (and others) downfield. Here is an example below...

Receivers are not the problem. Not having enough time and Mitch being indecisive are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I'd have happy feet too. The left side had big pressure coming in 2 seconds. Sure being at the 15 didn't help too. I do agree though it should have been a better throw in the field of play and further downfield. TD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Uh....did everyone forget the wide open Wr on 2 different plays that the ball was thrown nowhere in 5 yards of them, or I'm I the only one that watched the game. We had a wide open Wr streaking down the sidelines for a almost for sure TD, and the ball was thrown out of bounds about 7 yards away from Him.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Oddly enough, despite one holding play and, looking back on it, Dan Moore Jr. actually had a good game... pass protecting anyways. Run Blocking though is still a work in progress but not just him though. The entire Offensive Line, once again, failed to generate any push.

That said, having a third different Offensive Line Coach in three consecutive seasons is not a winning formula for success; all the more reason that Pat Meyer needs to be a long term solution.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner....Winner.....Winner Some just expected The Steelers magic dust sprinkled on Trubisky, and He would change.
    I do understand that yesterday was His 1st game here, but exactly what His problems were yesterday is Why Chicago let Him go, and Nobody picked Him up....except as a backup.
    I understand some of You had hopes for Him....So You are hanging with Him as long as possible, but I'm telling You right now, a washed up Ben of last year would have score more than 1 td.. with 5 turnovers, a turnover on downs, 7 sacks, a pick 6, and a field goal block.....and He sucked last year.
    That's how bad Trubisky is.
    The sooner people get that in their heads(especially the team) ....the sooner We can move on 2 the future.
    I mean what are We trying 2 prove....that Mitch is a high end backup.....because there is no way they sign Him again in any other role....So....:shrug:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If anything, should this continue (I hope it does not), Kenny is likely to see the field sooner than later. Mike Tomlin already saw this episodic series back in 2019 where the Defense along with Cris Boswell (weird day for him as well) ensured that the Steelers stayed in the Playoff Hunt until the final week. Now armed with a First Round QB Pick who seemingly looks ready to play, I seriously doubt that he wants an "encore presentation" of that again.

Again, I personally am rooting for Mitch to be better but Week One against Cincy left a lot to be desired. While Bill Belichick does not have the same level of star power he once did on the defensive side of the football, Deatrich Wise Jr., Matthew Judon and Ja'Whaun Bentley are not slouches as far as that front seven goes. Kyle Dugger is not a ball hawk but can get it done in coverage; Devin McCourty still a rock solid option as a Deep Single High. I understand that their game against Miami did not illustrate such.... but Miami's Corps of Receivers is not just great overall but speed wise, is simply close to impossible to match up against.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also ....NE has a habit of losing to Miami at the beginning part of the season....for quite a while now. Even with Brady.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This NE Team is much different; no literal Offensive Coordinator to speak of to start out with. Granted, some of the play calling that Matt Canada had on Sunday was very less than ideal (jet sweeps at the goal line to two of the weakest blockers on the team being one) but at least Matt Canada did have some good playcalls in there for certain. For both Matt Patricia and Joe Judge... neither have an idea of what they are doing! :eek:

Agree though that NE going to Miami is their literal "House of Horrors".

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers have hated every offensive coordinator since Joe Walton(Since I've been old enough to understand)

Trubisky is a ****tier version of Lamar Jackson. He can't throw down the field. His feel for the game is not there consistently. Mediocre line doesn't help but those times he had time, they weren't good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Friends, I am probably one of the biggest Pitt fans and KP fan's around, there is more to it than QB play. OL playdesign wr separation etc.. Other than possibly 4-5 Competent QB's in this league. Why do I see other teams with receivers running open? Pass play design needs improvement, also do we have a run game coordinator that understands the run game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The middle is no man's land

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Having a dominant run game will get your receivers open

• Like Like x 1
  14. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Canada's offense is too rudimentary once you peel away all the window dressing (motions, shifts, etc), IMO. It's an offense that might work in college but veteran DC's will figure it out quickly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben's fault. Was told Me that at least 79 times last year. Where are all those people??? LoL.
    All we needed was a Qb that could actually be athletic enough to run Canada system....That was another I heard all year last Year. LoL

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's Diontae's specialty then he thinks he can pick up the first down by running :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The TEs have been catching longer passes since training camp, also in the middle of the field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I wasnt quite in that camp of a more mobile qb would be better but I def thought it wouldnt be the same. Hopefully they make changes for next week offensively and tribs more comfortable, but im not expecting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That was probably Trubisky's worst throw of the game, Pickens had a step on the DB but Mitch threw it out of bounds :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's frustrating. The WRs need to beat off the defenders when they play close to the los.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Steelers scored the same amount in the 2nd half of yesterday's game as KC did in the 2nd half of their playoff game.
    So at least some of the woes are from a decent Bengal's defense.
    We'll see if the Steelers do any better against other teams in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Did you notice how our receivers seemed to be running open when Pickett was throwing them the ball in the pre-season? Yeah, me too.

I know, I know, it was the PRE-season. I realize that. But pre-season or not, one of Pickett’s strengths is anticipatory throwing and throwing receivers open. He’s a great distributor of the football and is a pro-active passer, reading the defense prior to the snap. Trubisky is athletic and mobile and is more reactive, trying to beat the defense post snap. That’s why he seems to be operating in a more chaotic post snap environment rather than taking what the defense gives with more of a purpose like Pickett.

I think Pickett’s floor is a more mobile Neil O’Donnell who, in spite of the disdain of many, was a good distributor of the football. His ceiling is Aaron Rodgers with a weaker arm and smaller hands, lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All this tells me is that either Diontae is not being used for the MOF because Chase seems to be the better option via Marr Canada (quite silly as he is dangerous in that area) or something even more troubling; Tomlin nor Canada trust Mitch the way they lead on to believe. Why else wouldn't Diontae be used there?!

Given the fact that the MOF has been a sore spot for the Offense, why not use players like Diontae to exploit that?! For that matter, Mitch had directly answered this himself via that clip I showed with George Pickens; inability to process and survery the field. Again, I am not rooting against him but he has to play better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Bengals scoring play that tied the game is something Canada needs to emulate. They isolated Chase and forced Pittsburgh to cover the otherside of the field knowing Chase wins most of the time in 1 on 1. DJ is the most polished route runner so isolate him on the right side use three wrs on the opposite side be Pickens, Claypool and Boykin or swap Boykin for Muth. I'd say go in that trips bunch but when you guys that close two defenders can sometimes cover 3 receivers so spread them out. They can't dbl team DJ with out leaving the other three open in single coverage and if they do manage to cover all four hit the back or Heyward on quick slant towards the sideline where a LB has to close on him. The novel idea being actual scheme to get favorable match ups that provide skill guys to work

• Like Like x 6
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have weapons, we just don't know how to use them. I was afraid of this.