1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The RB room

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHack, Aug 14, 2022.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Probably 5 spots (counting FB)

Obviously Najee is RB1 and Watt is FB1

that leaves Snell, McFarland, Warren, Teague, Durant fighting for 3 spots

Snell has the edge in experience and is actually very good in ST

McFarland looked as good as he ever has last night, can he keep it going and be the change of pace

Warren has been the camp darling and the one most likely to bump Snell

Teague I am a big fan and feel he can add that power back to the mix, but again can he play ST?

Durant had the hype but I think he is a very safe practice squad RB

Hope to see them work Warren and Yeague in a little sooner the next 2 games

If it's me I'm keeping
    Warren as the all purpose backup
    McFarland as the speed back
    Teague as the power back

Snell is trade bait or depending on his injury. Put him on IR to start the season.

Durant to the PS

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Agree. Teague, Warren, and McFarland for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Unless Warren or Teague can equal the special teams production there’s no way Snell is cut. With that being said their performances have been solid thus far. However, they’ve only played one preseason game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I liked how Teague on the next to last drive just ran over Seattle's defense play after play. I have no idea how that 3rd and one where he gained at least 2 yards wasn't overturned. The refs didn't even take a look at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yea, we got robbed.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This.....In a nutshell

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Justify your spot for Watt?

Unlike last year when people were talking about how much Watt was getting involved in the offense, I have heard nothing about him coming out of camp this year.

Did I miss Derek Watt playing Saturday? He is not on the injury or out report?
    Not playing

In addition to Heyward and Watt, there were several other starters who did not play Saturday. Some were dealing with injuries of varying degrees: outside linebacker Alex Highsmith (ribs), defensive linemen Larry Ogunjobi (offseason knee surgery) and Tyson Alualu (knee), receivers Diontae Johnson (hip) and Chase Claypool (shoulder), running back Najee Harris (foot), left guard Kevin Dotson (ankle) and tight end Pat Freiermuth (hamstring).

Among regular contributors, tight end Zach Gentry (undisclosed), defensive lineman Montravius Adams (ankle), backup running back Benny Snell (knee), outside linebacker Genard Avery (groin) and special-teamers Marcus Allen (hamstring) and Miles Killebrew (pec) also did not play and have been held out of at least some recent practices because of injury.

Safety Karl Joseph left the game during the first quarter because of an ankle injury.

Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick also did not play, but he has no known injury and likely was held out as a nod to his veteran status.

Receivers Calvin Austin III and Anthony Miller were not in uniform, presumably because of injuries that were not previously disclosed.
    Steelers notes: T.J. Watt regaining a piece of team captaincy? | TribLIVE.com

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Derek Watt was in street clothes the entire game, but there was no word on the reason. That's the thing with preseason games. You really don't know why guys are out of the lineup much of the time.

I'm not a fan of having no fullback. Then again, they don't really use him all that much. I'm guessing special teams could keep both Watt and Snell on the roster.

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Anthony McFarland looked like the most improved player on the team. There has never been a question about his speed but it always seemed like he was running in place and not going anywhere. Last night he was not only fast but decisive about where he was running and had good balance and body control, something he didn't have in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He looked explosive, and not a moment too soon. I think he needs a great preseason to make that team. Other than returning kickoffs, I don't think he plays any special teams, and that hurts his cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Need to see McFarland, Warren and Teague continue to produce in preseason. I like Warren. I think the kid can play at the NFL level. And honestly, I had written McFarland off, but he could be a great change of pace back if he finally puts it all together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I'd drop Watt like watt now
    Heyward is better

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Heyward is the 3rd TE and maybe Nabi FB in a pinch

I don't remember but was Watt a ST captain last year?

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    could be setting up to get rid of watt and that contract and keep 3 TE's and heyward as a 4th/FB. watt i think is in the last year of his contract. benny snell has 16 total tackles in 3 years. 7 total last year. 3 of those were solo tackles. played 9% of the snaps on offense last year. returned 1 KO for 8 yards. played 67% of ST's snaps. not missing that much on ST's with him.

watt had 14 ST's tackles. he was the captain. played 8% of the snaps on offense last year. 68% of ST's snaps.

would be 2.1 mil. in dead money for those two and save 3.7 mil.

ST's looked OK the other night without them. :shrug::cool:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Radar and Sternberger would like a few words with you. We have the players to package
    to get Roquan Smith.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yea, derek watt, devin bush, benny snell and kevin dotson and throw in a tyler vaughn. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chase Claypoole will have to be thrown in also. You have to give something to get something.

18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I'd love to talk to them after they finish washing Heyward's laundry

HACK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As much as many fans dont like them Watt and Snell will almost certainly both be kept for their ST experience.

It was encouraging to see those performances from McFarland, Warren and Teague on Saturday. Assuming they keep two of that trio I’d expect Teague to be the one to miss out because of the versatility the other two offer and based on camp reports etc.

Warren looked really good but I read somewhere that Tomlin has mentioned in interviews that he needs to improve in relation to ball security. Didn’t see an issue on Saturday but presumably it has been evident in practice

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

He fumbled against the sea chickens. We just managed to recover the ball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Missed that, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Around the 35 second mark. Easy to miss you can barely see a sea chicken and steeler diving towards the loose ball.

• Like Like x 1
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mcfarland has speed and good open field running ability he just needed to slow the game down some , maybe he has finally figured it out..

• Like Like x 1
  24. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I didnt get to see the whole game, but I liked what I saw out of Warren. McFarland did show some improvement, but I am not a fan. He still rarely breaks the first contact and goes down way to easily in my opinion. Yes he has speed but its rarely seen because he rarely gets out of the backfield. I pass on McFarland and keep Warren. I will reserve my opinion on Teague and the others until I can see some film.

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Go Warren!!! I know one pre-season game but I loved his fight!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1