1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So trubisky is Brett farve? Mason is? Them two put together x5 still isn't Brett farve...

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It said he is still holding back on deep throws

Why

3. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    This team is in trouble at the QB position. Mason knows how to practice and give interviews , but you can see in games he has no "it factor".. he's just painfully below average to average. Tribisky is a failed top 3 overall pick now on his 3rd team, and Pickett is just a rookie..picked first out of what was considered a very bad QB class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I didn't feel Pickett would start anyways. That's why they signed Trubisky before the draft. Pickett fell to us.

The deer has a leg up because he has been in the system. Pickett needs to make him irrelevant which hasn't happened. Yet.

Please stop with the Rudolph prop up. For those in the back he is NOT a starting caliber QB.

Trubisky will start day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You may end up being right. All I keep reading is that Mason has outplayed Mitch and Pickett so far. If he lights it up in the preseason he could end up being the guy.

If that happens you deserve credit. You are the only one predicting this.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with you. But if Rudolph earns it, then he earns it. If that happens then the Trubisky would end up going down as one of the worst Steelers signings of all time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We are only three days into training camp, but every report I’ve seen has Rudolph looking the best. I don’t think you can say he knows the system since last year the offense catered to Ben’s abilities or lack there of

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    how do you figure? The deal is cheap and incentive laden. If he doesn’t work out the Steelers have lost nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Worst of all time... Come on your are crazy. You are acting like we signed him to a $200 million dollar deal.

Draft Stock cost: NOTHING
    Salary: Less than what Mason is making this year. The Steelers can easily walk away from him after this year.

Funny: The highest paid QB this year is still Ben, as he is still on the books for $10 million

3rd year with Canada gives Mason a definite head start. But, I think his biggest advantage would be his familiarity with the Defense. This is Mason's 5th year practicing against this defense, that should give him a huge lead in the QB battle to start with.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Based off expectations. Contract wise the Steelers are okay. But Trubisky was brought in to start. Getting beat out by Rudolph certainly wasn't expected.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The coaches aren't using Chris Oladokun at all in practice...... Why waste a draft pick if you won't even give a guy a chance to compete

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That is a misleading statement, and it is not clear if Trubisky will be a failure.
    All that can be said is that he couldn't carry a bad team all by himself, or displace a firmly entrenched franchise starter.

The Bears are a bad team.
    They were able to make playoffs in 2 of the 4 years Trubisky was the starter.
    In the 6 years before and the year after? Zero playoffs, 5 losing seasons.

The second team was the Bills.
    You can't tell anything about last year because Allen started all 17 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Oladokun is a long shot prospect. The other 3 either have nfl starting exp or are expected to be future starter. Without two a day practices reps are so limited you have to give them to the players with the best shot this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    trubisky was brought in to complete to be the starter. He wasn’t guaranteed anything

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Canada was a qb coach. It wasn’t his offensive scheme

16. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Still begs the question, why waste the draft pick..... Coach Tomlin needs a history lesson on our late Rd pick and UFA successes..... He clearly has no respect for the bottom of the draft.....
    Long shot or not.... To give someone the call and proceed to not even give as much as a token chance is highly disrespectful

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    blaming the coach for the gm’s job smh

18. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

You know the coach and gm work together in the war rm don't you?????
    I have yet to see a gm call a prospect

• Like Like x 1
  19. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't see that.
    He certainly isn't being paid like a starter. There are 16 QBs making 3 to 6 times his average salary, and another 9 making more than he does. He is only being paid more than rookie contracts (like Hebert and Daniel Jones).

The way I see it is that the Steelers need someone to be a reasonable starting QB. But if you don't have a sure-fire option, then it is better to try a variety of options, and let them try their best.
    You have an experienced former high-round pick, a 1st round rookie, and a mid-round second QB who has been with the team for a while.
    Trubisky may be the best option, but they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was expected by Me....Go look at the things I've said, but Will they actually go with the best man, or the most money???:shrug:
    This is why I laughed every time someone said something about trading Mason.
    Why would You trade the only Qb on the team that has actually won You games, and Has the most experience???:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nah
    He can practice squad for a year or two then one of the three in front of him will be gone and he will have a chance at being number three possibly number two

If that happens it was a good pick

Ges probably pretty happy with the No press situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Like Trubisky was gonna beat out Allen in Buffalo. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. But we all knew what the expectation was. I do not believe the Steelers thought he would be being outplayed by Rudolph at this point.

It's early yet. You can't really base anything off of a few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree and disagree. If Mason ends up beating Trubisky out, then bringing Trubisky in was a waste. The Steelers drafted two quarterbacks, one in the first round. If Trubisky wasnt brought in to start, then he shouldn't have been brought in.

That being said, if he doesn't end up starting, it really doesn't set the Steelers back. Even if Mason earns the job this year, Pickett will probably be the guy in 23'.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They weren't a good offense but they had a good defense in chicago. So the team overall wasnt bad. Thing is last yr trubisky was free and no one wanted him as a starter. That speaks volumes.

• Like Like x 1