1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is Having a Great Career.........And You Guys are Missing it!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 30, 2022.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    SHOCKA KAHN
    SHOCKA KAHN
    ROCK ME SHOCKA KAHN
    I FEEL FOR YOU......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    If a guy is the type to scream from the mountain tops that he's right all the time, then he should absolutely have the attention to detail to at least be grammatically correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Dionte is a good player. But there are a lot of reasons why we should not sign him and spend the money elsewhere.

Reason 1 - His numbers were artificially inflated the last few years. We had a terrible offensive line, an immobile QB in a poorly designed offensive system relative to our QB’s strengths so we threw quick slant patterns. Dionte’s biggest strength is his elusiveness and ability to get open. As a result he was naturally the first choice from a target standpoint in our system over the last few years. I don’t see that being the case with Canada’s new system and mobile QB’s and a better Offensive line moving forward. Through pre snap motion, play action passing, our desire is gong to be to push the ball down field. As a result I see Claypool and Pickens benefitting from that type of system more than Dionte.

Reason 2 - Our new offense moving forward is going to focus heavily on the run game with play action passing. This type of system leans on presnap motion and multiple different type of sets. In addition this type of system asks the wide receivers to block. Essentially there will be times when only one wr is on the field. So as a result by design the offense is going to spread the ball around more. All of these attributes of the new offense tells me that Dionte’s targets will be significantly reduced. His talents in fact may actually be wasted on this type of offense. He would probably be a great fit in Greenbay where they desire and thrive on a true number 1 type of WR. This offense isn’t about that and won’t be about that.

Reason 3 - Influx of new talent. Not to diminish Dionte's talent but we have an influx of new talent with some like minded traits to Dionte which makes him a little more expandable from an asset standpoint. Pickens is a freak athlete who has better straight line speed and a larger catch radius than Dionte, plus he is a great route runner. He also offers something Dionte does not and that is contested catch ability. Calvin offers short area quickness that rivals Dionte and is from what I hear probably better. Gunner offers strong abilities to get open and is all heart. I didn’t even mention Claypool and Friermuth and what I believe will be expansive roles for those guys in the offense (simply from their versatility from a blocking and red zone perspective).

Reason 4 - The WR market has gotten out of hand. That is why you see teams like the Chiefs, Packers and Titans trading away their stars. If you want to build a Super Bowl Caliber team you have to spend your money on your identity and we are and this offense is not going to be a high powered offense from a WR perspective moving forward. The core focus will be around the defense and the run game.

Reason 5 - We have unknown assets at QB. I would rather they focus the money on the offensive line moving forward to protect these guys and form a formidable run game as they develop their talents, than put it into a wr who may actually waste his own talents waiting for them to develop. Plus I believe if Pickens is who they say he is the mindset is to develop him along with Pickett as your pass offense nucleus moving forward.

Reason 6 - We draft and develop wr’s better than anybody. Why put money into Dionte when we can get a less expensive option in the draft and develop him up? I would rather see us spend that money on a free agent CB or OT where we are not as efficient at developing players.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is kind of the point I am trying to make. Everyone always finds a reason to hate on DJ. "He isn't a game breaking receiver." He isn't as good as AB." "He doesn't take over games." "He has average YPC."

No matter what DJ does, he just flat out isn't popular. It is such a double standard. Chase Claypool has some maturity issues, drops just as many balls, and frankly has played terrible at times. Yet, people believe that Chase is a better player.

This is Pittsburgh. Steelers fans love big backs, and tall receivers. Claypool and Pickens are tall receivers. So you guys love em. Right now both of those guys are getting more hype than a guy that just put up 107 for 1161 and 8. Its bonkers!

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually a Prince song.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    and horribly misspelled misspelt

I feel 4 U

CHEERS STD( think that's a first i ever said that) lol

safe holiday I enjoy your sense of humour

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I get the Big backs, but who was the last tall Wr that was really good Here???
    When I think of great Wrs of the last 20 years....I think of Hines, AB, and Holmes.....none are that tall at all.
    Also I think DJ is better than Claypool, but as I have said....will our new Qbs????

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with most of this but reason #4 is a winner

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having a hard time making any sense of the part in blue

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Our QB no longer had strengths

The offense was designed around minimizing his weaknesses

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Sheesh, I said quite a few positive things. And while we're at it, hater is the most overused word in modern vernacular. JFC you can't be critical and use valid points without being called a hater. It's a fact DJ isn't a gamebreaker like AB was.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    But I really think you are wrong comparing Parker to DJ and the fans reactions. Willie came from no where and as the Bus was nearing the end was really a competent back. His 75 yard TD run was the game breaker in that SB. Idk who or what happened, but will put on a lot on muscle and tried to be something he was not, that and the team running him to much I feel made him less affective. Once a speed guy loses that speed ot us essentially over, and Willie was speed. Beyond the drops, which I acknowledge he has worked on..the very things you mention are true. There are a lot of guys who put up thousand yard seasons in a career, are decent receivers, DJ is thar guy right now. I see immense possibilities, but possibilities have not shown that extra thing that separates him from starting to super star. Emanuel Sanders has had a very good career and was a star...AB became a super star. I'm just saying DJ has not shown that elite status. Current market 18 to 20, but if he is looking for 25 plus..not there yet imho.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    In blur. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hater.
    LoL :shrug::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not like I'm knocking him for some grammatical error. Knowing how to spell the name of your favorite team's general manager is pretty basic stuff. It is one of the many ways he has demonstrated his ignorance right along with his odd disdain for Khan.

Also, it is for ****'s sake. :hehehe:

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is possible to both appreciate Johnson and acknowledge that it might not be a tragedy if the team doesn't break the bank to give him an extension.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Well, for one. I never called you a hater, nor did I use the term hater in my post. So theres that.

Second, my post was directed toward common comments that are said about DJ, and not necessarily directed at you. Saying a few positive things about Johnson, always follows with a but.......................

• Like Like x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That is where I differ from most. I think it would be a tragedy to let Diontae Johnson go. He is going to be that good.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    3rd Year Statistics

Antonio Brown
    66 REC 787 YDS 5 TDS

Hines Ward
    48 REC 672 YDS 4 TDS

Diontae Johnson
    101 REC 1161 YDS 8 TDS

Some of you guys have already decided that DJ is not an elite receiver after only 3 years. I sure am glad the Steelers gave AB and Hines more time to develop.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That Brown took a massive step forward in his fourth season does not mean Johnson will do the same. It makes little sense to assume every player will have a similar career trajectory.

Also, to just post the raw numbers out of context is misleading. The 2012 Steelers still had Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders at wide receiver and Heath Miller at tight end. That makes a big difference in the distribution of the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Antonio Brown Year 4
    110 REC 1499 YDS 8TDS

Diontae Johnson Year 3
    101 REC 1161 YDS 8TDS

So if year 4 is where Brown took a massive step forward, then by comparison, we should all be pleased with where DJ is after year 3. Very similar stat line. Johnson's numbers have gone up all 3 years. There is no reason to think that trend will not continue.

If we are going to add more variables to the raw numbers, then we should also take into consideration QB play. AB played his entire career with Big Ben in his prime. DJ thus far, has played with Duck Hodges, Mason Rudolph and "Quick Release" Ben.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    antonio had a good run game, a franchise qb and a good O-line with him at the time. DJ does not right now. can he alone bring us to that type of production with a journeyman qb, not much of a run game and a not so good O-line? is that where we should be sinking that type of money? is he the guy that will take us over the top in this scenario? that is more of the question. i think with all the talent we have added to the position, i can see them having a wait and see attitude about this. waiting and tagging him to work out a deal seems smart to me. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The comparison I am trying to make is that they both are/were under appreciated. The knock on Willie was, that he was a speed guy that couldn't run with power. I remember having many discussions with people about how Willie was not a complete back. So Willie did bulk up. He became a back that could push the pile a little bit. I give him credit for that. Parker carried the team in 06 and 07. I think history remembers Fast Willie for his Super Bowl run. History forgets that Willie Parker was a damn good running back from 05' to 08'.

Your thoughts on DJ are valid. I think that is how most people feel. I believe he has played way better than what he gets credit for.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He was one of the most targeted receivers in the NFL the last few seasons. The reason was because we had to get rid of the ball quickly. As a result we threw a lot of short slant patterns or bubble screens to get rid of the ball quickly. Dionte’s skill set lined up perfectly with those kind of passes. with the the change of the offense I don’t see nearly as many of those types of plays, so as a result I don’t think Dionte will get the amount of targets that he has had over the last few years. I believe we will try to push the ball down field a lot more. I honestly am not sure how valuable he is on seam and go patterns because I feel like we never ran them last year. The smart thing to do this year is see how he plays in the new offense and see how all of the other wide receivers play and then if he lights it up we can always pay him next year if he does well and is clearly better than everyone else. We have two unknown assets in Pickens and Austin it would be foolish to put all this money into Dionte without knowing what we have in Pickens and Austin. What if Pickens turns out to be phenomenal and yet we have all of this money tied up in Dionte? It just isn’t smart football business to pay him right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I Gave you six good reasons why we should not give him money. You ignored them because they don’t support your narrative.