1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada has no excuses this season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 11, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Does Matt Canada come back down to the sidelines this year?

I was disappointed when they sent Matt to the booth last year to get him away from Ben. I really wanted to see those two going at it on the sideline when Ben went off script, because Canada called a play he didn't like. Or, when Ben ran one of Canada's play that completely failed and Ben wanted to let him know personally how bad he thought that play-call was.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Where do y’all come up with this stuff? :roflmao::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This year we really find out why Matt Canada only lasts a couple years anywhere he goes.

1) He's really good and gets better offer elsewhere

2) He sucks and it takes a little longer to really see it

I'm excited for the season!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes I'm already hearing them.
    My Friend....it's more than that...If We just went by it's all on the players.....Well then no OC should ever be fired....No????....or coaches..., or DCs.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This dude posts some of the most naïve stuff.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Compared to the last few seasons if the offense can sustain drives, and not have so many three and outs, and improve in the rush yards per game that would be successful.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree about Dan Moore Jr. Moore Jr finished a lot better down the stretch towards the end of his Rookie Season in comparison to the beginning. Granted... even getting a lot better is not as big of a ringing endorsement as Moore Jr was getting manhandled pretty good during the first six weeks of the season. Now Chuks?!

That is a bit of a different story. Rock solid for pass protection but just passable for run blocking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Or get hired. No?? Not many are dc's or oc's in there first job in the nfl. They have had success of wouldn't be hired anywhere. No DC makes a tackle, or covers a receiver, nor does an OC block, run, catch or pass. :cool:

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Let’s hope they both can continue to improve. The team clearly believes they can get the job done.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m still not sure they don’t swap Chuks and Moore.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What makes You say that???

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    supposedly that was the plan last year as lt is Chuks natural position. My guess is they stuck with Moore on the left for something resembling continuity

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill Cowher stresses this in his game day comments

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, the plan last year was Chuks at Left tackle and Banner at Right tackle. Moore was supposed to backup and compete with Chuks for the starting LT position. The Steelers spent the entire offseason telling everyone how much of a better LT Chuks was going to make after Banner completely dominated the battle for the RT position the year before.

They tried Moore at RT, and he was not ready at all to change sides. He had not played RT since his freshman year.

The 2021 Offensive Line should have been. It is a shame Ben never got to play behind this line.
    RT Banner
    RG DeCastro
    C Green
    LG Dotson
    LT Chuks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I get DeCastro, but Zach Banner superstar? Really? By week 3 Dan Moore has more career starts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am just telling you what Colbert had in mind about the Steelers starting line for the 2021 season.

RT Banner
    RG DeCastro
    C Green
    LG Dotson
    LT Chuks

I still think he made a huge mistake by not drafting Creed Humphrey in the 2nd. Everyone that was here, online at the time, assumed Creed was going to be the pick when the Steelers were on the clock.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He does have an excuse actually: QB.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    moore should get better and better. he can run block. year two and three should see him continue to trend up. if dotson stays healthy he should be an upgrade. daniels is a stud. that leaves chuks and he's really not terrible. he may also keep improving. this could be a good unit if they can keep them together.

the tight end spot is where they need to improve blocking wise. i'm not to sure heyward will be the ticket for that. rader is a pretty good blocker. jace sternberger will be a wildcard as well. this should be a fight for that 3rd TE spot.

3rd RB should be interesting as well.

5th and 6th CB will also be a battle. layne probably has the upper hand but this is his final year. if one of the young guys shows anything, layne may be gone. if he balls out finally he may battle pierre for the 4th spot. pierre hopefully improves as well. those two are limited to the outside though. backup for the slot should be a fight with maulet. we have a couple of young corners who hopefully make some noise.

we actually have many spots for some new backups available with the possibility to move up in a year or two. :cool:

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mark Bruener was not good at blocking as a rookie

Let’s see how Freiermuth develops

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he and gentry should i hope be improved. muth as a blocker and gentry as a receiver. i'm talking about the 3rd TE. we may see some of that show this year.
    don't ever talk bad on bruener. :smiley1: :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was a neighbor and friend

But in his words his rookie season he was a “pipsqueak”

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just kidding. that would have been cool as a neighbor. i have a few nfl friends. 1 played for the steelers for a year. his claim to fame was intercepting warren moon twice in one game.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should be no excuses for Matt Canada. He has talent,he needs to call the games to best use this talent.

• Like Like x 2
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Even with a statue at QB on his retirement tour we seemed to go 9-7-1 and a wild card berth.

I don't feel unless his offensive game planning totally craps the bed he is under the microscope. He should be able to implement his game plan without restrictions.

A revamped O Line and some new weapons should help the game plan.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on this alone getting to middle of the pack 16th would be a mild success but not a goal

OL should be better than bad

WRs are above average

QB should be better than bad

RB is very good

TE should be better

To me that moves us up to mediocre