1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    About 9 posts up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Don’t know why fans always think everyone thinks like they do.

Never underestimate what a GM may do. Maybe he’s in a bind or maybe he’s just bad at his job but getting a draft pick for Rudolph really isn’t as unfathomable as it’s made out to be.

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Somebody always needs a QB.

It is always nice when you can pick up a draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know that trade for a 5th round pick probably cost us the Playoffs that year.

If they would have had Dobbs sitting at the #3 Spot, when both Ben and Mason went down, he could have finished the season and led them into the playoffs.

It would not surprise me at all, if we see all 3 QBs playing in the regular season this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or he sits there as an emergency option if they can't find a trade partner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, he did. The plan had been for him to sit and watch that entire season with Maddox starting and Batch as No. 2. Batch was injured during the preseason, forcing them to move Roethlisberger up to No. 2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pecking order in preseason doesn’t mean thats the order going into the season. Ben wouldn't have been number 3 anymore that Pickett will be.

Ben was a number 11 pick, he would of taken over for Maddox his rookie season regardless of injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think competition is great for all concerned. Kenny will have an adjustment to the speed of the NFL. He is worker and will improve in areas needed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.

Fact is, you don’t get to your 3rd string QB very often. In fact most teams don’t even carry 3 QB’s. They could very well keep Rudolph as that would be the best QB room but I’d take the draft pick if they could get one.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how many 5th rounders make it? we would probably get more after the season if we lost him to free agency. if trubisky goes down and pickett did start we would still have a much better shot with mason then as the two. oladokun won't be getting many snaps in preseason. he will need a year at least before he's even backup worthy. mason at that point is still of value to us. he doesn't cost us that much this year as far as qb's go. heck all of them together are less than many in the league. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably quite a lot, Mac, come on. You the champion of UDFA are really using that argument against 5th rd draft picks?

How many times do you get to your 3rd string? How many times has a 3rd string ever led a team to the SB.

I’ll take my chances on a draft pick. Better chance of finding a gem in the 5th then a 3rd string QB winning the SB.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    most 3rd string QB's are of the oladukan variety and not a vet that has been in the same system his whole career. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    End result will be the same. Rudolph is still not a good QB.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but that 5th will put us over the top? :cool:

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, that's not the expectation that Cowher laid out. This is a different situation. The veteran is new to the team, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know that at all. Neither do you. In fact, I suspect it wouldn't have made much difference at all. Dobbs isn't good.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re right, they should stop drafting players because they apparently don’t help.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s possible he could have sat behind Maddox the whole year but it would have been as the #2.

More likely, Maddox would have faltered and the Ben era would have still began his rookie season, just a little later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Probably. I'm just going by the stated intent before Batch got hurt, which was for Roethlisberger to sit the entire season.

This is a different situation. Expectations are that quarterbacks are going to be pushed into playing more quickly now. Also, they don't have a veteran who is established with the team like Maddox. Rudolph has clearly established that he is nothing more than a decent backup. Trubisky is also new to the team.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben may have taken over for Maddox some time in the season, but that doesn't mean that if Batch , and Maddox didn't get hurt He wouldn't have been 3rd string 2 start the season.

21. steelcityfanatic

steelcityfanatic Active Member

Mar 17, 2022

Well our GM and coaches disagree with you. And I think they might know a little more about the situation so yeah I'll go with them

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You believe that huh? Fat chance.

I’m sure they knew what they had in Ben real quick once camp started. He was number 3 in camp, it’s not even remotely realistic to think he would have been # 3 on the depth chart once season began. Both from where he was taken in the draft at #11 and from a talent standpoint. You are going to stunt his growth by making him #3? Sure.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Until they do something you don’t agree with which in that case they are dopes, amiright :thumbs up:

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As 2 what they do ....Well...I'm not in the front office.
    I'm only going by what Cowher said, and since Maddox just won a playoff game 2 years before, and Charlie was with this team forever....I tend 2 Believe what Cowher said.
    Again it doesn't Mean Ben wouldn't have moved up within the season....Hell maybe by week 2, but from What was said....I believe the 1st week of the season would have seen Him at Qb 3.
    Also We have carried 3 Qbs for along time.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They chose to sign a free agent and spend a first-round draft choice on quarterbacks. That tells you how little faith they have in Rudolph.