1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Immaculate Reception Day!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Dec 23, 2021.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Guess my Dad saved them no matter what..................and a real shocker - even before our time JEH. Probably a badge of honor after scaling Cardiac Hill en route to Forbes Field. :drinks: upload_2022-5-24_9-53-43.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It showed we could play with the bully of the times. We were not intimidated by them and arguably ended their dominance and began our own. It showed Chuck noll did create a dynasty to come. It was such a fun time to be in the stadium. This was a week in and week out time we new we could beat any team out there and play it any way they wanted. A friggin awesome time to be a fan. Now you understand why the old timers are so critical ever since. Nothing since has equalled those days. We were the big dog. :cool:

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I remember walking up Cardiac Hill, really just part of it, to get to Pitt Stadium, but Forbes Field was before my time. I didn't think you had to go up the hill to get to Forbes Field.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I made it to Steeler games at Pitt stadium but not Forbes Field

Baseball at Forbes Field though

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    when the real pirates played.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey I’ve stood where home plate was for exposition park and the first World Series

Although I cheated the spot is still marked east of Heinz Field

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I hated the Raiders, but you had to like John..especially after the original lite beer commercials lol. He hated flying so Greyhound made him their spokesman and fitted him with his own private bus. What a life.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Right field bleachers just missed a foul ball off clementes bat. My friends mother caught it after it bounced off 2 bleachers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I can see your point. Kind of the antithesis of the Raiders. They were always on the fringe that decade. Reverse psychology but would that win have propelled them? Shutter the sinful thought lol. I do not know the name of the Steelers exec or coach, but when asked who he felt was the most important Steeler he said all I know is before Franco we rarely won, after we rarely lost. That one play I believe exemplifies his importance to the franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've stood at the outfield wall and wondered what it would be like to have a real baseball team to root for.

The Pirates have exceeded a .500 record four times in the last 40 years.

They're a disgrace to the city. Yet, suckers keep going to games. Thank you Bob Nutting. After your gone, and all that's left is your legacy, I hope you're ok with being remembered as a scoundrel. As a villan. Your millions won't save you then assh***.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem a little grumpy today

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Slightly. Sorry boys. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Clemente hit a home run into right field bleachers at Forbes Field. We all ran to get the ball. I’m slow and a friend got it. I tried to beg borrow buy or steal that ball from him to no avail.

40 years later I was told that friend committed suicide.

Did I think about how sad that was and how bad his life must of become.

No, first thought I had was where is that ball.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's freaking terrible....Yet I laughed at the same time....So .....I guess I'm freaking terrible also:shrug:
    RIP 2 Your dead friend

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was at a Pirate game around 1963-64 before moving out west and Clemente hit a line drive homer to straight away center field (over the parked batting cage -remember?). That's at minimum a 460 ft shot and it kept going on out into the park beyond - well over 500 ft. I can still see it and remember it vividly. Roberto was also one of the very few who could consistently hit Sandy Koufax unlike 98% of the rest of the NL. But dang those wooden seats were mighty uncomfortable, even as a snot nosed kid.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You did if you parked down in Schenley Park (?) and approached from the right field side, a real climb. But I was just a youngin back then so my memory is a bit fuzzy about those details. But the good news was that the Street Car from downtown would drop you off right behind home plate. No hiking nor parking to worry about.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I really don't know the layout of Oakland when Forbes Field was there. I just know roughly where home plate was, and that was right on ground level with the main part of the Pitt campus, which is down Cardiac Hill from Pitt Stadium.

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Because it was so long ago I probably got Myocardial Infarction Hill confused with Cardiac Hill. :drinks: