1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Kings Power Ranking

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 23, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only one trying to fit a narrative is you. No one wanted Pickett either. Teams with multiple first rd picks passed on him but are going to trade up to get back in the first rd to draft him? Flawed logic. More realistic is the Steelers reached. Pickett would have at least lasted to the second rd, after that it’s an unknown.

Your hard on to keep making this about Willis ignores my post to Brice, would you like to focus on that for a minute instead of trying to pick another fight on a message board? Who exactly were they bluffing? They were the first team to take a QB.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are the one who keeps trying to sell this idea that nobody else wanted Pickett. Sorry, but all we know is that nobody else wanted to spend or trade for a pick among the top 19. After that, the Steelers didn't give anyone else the opportunity.

There is nothing flawed about my logic at all. The Giants weren't going to take a quarterback in the first round. Sometimes, when teams tell you what they are going to do, you should listen. The Jets took a quarterback in the first round last year. The only teams that seemed to have a need at quarterback and multiple first-rounders that passed were the Saints and Lions. The Saints had already invested in the position short-term and seemed focused on building the rest of the team. I'll give you the Lions. Of course, they weren't going to take him over Hutchinson, but they did trade up earlier in the first round. Do you really want to build your argument on the idea that the Lions know better than the Steelers? By all means, try to defend that hill. I'll trust Colbert and Tomlin over the Lions and feel good about that choice.

Just because the Saints and Lions passed doesn't mean no other team would have traded into the end of the first round for him. This isn't a groupthink thing. Teams have different preferences.

Regarding Brice's comment, the Steelers clearly did fool people into thinking they wanted Willis. Then again, maybe if Pickett hadn't fallen to them at 20, they might have settled for Willis in the second or third round. I'm guessing the third because they really seem to love Pickens.

I would have been very happy with Hill or Linderbaum at 20, Skyy Moore or Pickens in the second round, and Willis in the third. You keep implying that Pickens would have fallen to the third round because Willis fell that far. Again, Willis's fall proves no such thing. All Willis falling to the end of the third round tells us is that no team wanted Willis in the first or second round and most of the league didn't want him in the third. It doesn't tell us anything about the league's opinion of Pickett. As I mentioned previously, they are so vastly different as prospects, it makes little sense to lump them together.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And the experts had the Steelers finishing behind the Browns, and Ravens last season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also the Panthers passed on Him.
    I think He's already better than Trubisky. LoL

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And the Year before. :thumbs_up:

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I stated before and will again, I do have the Steelers reaching double digit wins again this season but not the same level of confidence I had the Season before; 10-7 being my current prediction before Training Camp. Now, my floor is not as optimistic as years past; 6-11 being the lowest they can go but within the same time, 12-5 does not seem that impossible either should the Steelers finish the first half of the season strong.

I get where Peter King is coming from... but much of his logic simply does not add up; doubly so since he is supposed to give a general summary of each team and, judging how he has done so for other teams... clearly went for more attention.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Best time 2 listen 2 P. King is right after Pre Season....He seems 2 be more on the money at that time.
    I would bet money He changes His mind about half the teams when He does His big write up around that time.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough on that!!

He still does have the ability to make those good guesses just days after the Pre Season. Do not know how he does it but he does have the gift for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was responding to the part about teams with two first-round picks passing on him. Also, the Panthers passed on him at No. 6 overall. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have considered moving up into the latter part of the first round for him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Off topic, but Peter King was the only media reporter/ person that said we would draft KP and that MW would fall out of the first round... Just a lil FYI:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports also stated this but not nearly as early and often as Peter King did. Pete began to state such weeks leading up to the draft. King has been on that notion since January if I recall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If any of those teams had a first rd grade on Pickett they would never have risked losing him to the Steelers. Steelers weren’t just interested in Willis, they sent the house to just about every QB’s pro day. It would be foolish to think the Steelers weren’t interested in Pickett, playing in their backyard for 5 years, they were very high on him and everyone knows that. There were plenty of mocks that him going to the Steelers. You put down Detroit as if the Steelers havent ever done stupid things, your favorite being Edmunds.

The fact is, every team that needed a QB passed on Pickett and no one behind the Steelers needed a QB so no, no team was going to trade back into the first for him, he would have fallen out of the first like all the rest. We just don’t know how far he would have fallen but given how little love this QB class got, I think he would have fallen just as far. It’s not just because Willis fell to the 3rd it’s because they all did.

Steelers had three QB’s with first rd grades, if it wasn’t Pickett it likely would have been Wills or Ridder. It should actually concern you that the Steelers were the only ones to feel good about these QB’s.

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I kinda have the Steelers at around 9-8. There are areas that I'm confident that we've gotten fixed and areas of concern. I'm more confident that we'll see improved O-Line play in '22 compared to how I felt this time last last year. On defense, I think the run defense will be better (at default just due to that it can't get much worse than last year (I hope)). My biggest concern is our secondary with pretty much two #2 CBs as the starters. I guess we'll see. I wouldn't pencil this team in Tempe in February, but I find it hard to believe they'll be drafting in the top ten. They'll be improved in areas and worse in others with relatively the same final record. I suspect that the rest of the team's needs will be met in the next offseason, unless we make a move or two after the June 1st and camps cuts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You keep presenting things as if they are fact when they are not. It is just as likely that the Steelers had other players they liked better than Willis or Ridder and they would have taken one of them if Pickett hadn't fallen to them.

No, passing on Pickett in the top 10 does not mean a team wouldn't want Pickett at the end of the first round. You can keep repeating that nonsense all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

Most importantly, you really are trying to argue in favor of trusting the judgment of the Lions over the judgment of the Steelers. I never said the Steelers don't make mistakes. What I wrote was that I trust them more than I trust the Lions. Are you seriously trying to argue that point?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Must admit I did enjoy seeing the Patriots going the wrong way. Not sure why that is but still like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    All I can say to that is at least we made the Playoffs. Not sure but some of those teams never made the Playoffs in those 5 years. (I think)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Presenting things as facts? You’re speaking from experience there. Pot meet kettle.

I didn’t say top 10 but how about top 20? Yeah that’s brilliant logic there. “Hey everyone, Picketts the guy, he’s our franchise QB, lets not draft him while we have the chance and then try and trade back into the first to do it.”

Who said anything about comparing drafting history between Lions and Steelers. Steelers have made their share of bone headed first rd picks lately. Lions weren’t the only ones with multiple first rd picks either and doesn’t matter anyway, there were a bunch of teams that needed a QB. You aren’t leaving a guy on the board to #20 if you think he is the guy, its the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Talk about dying on a hill.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Let me ask you this more directly. Whose judgement do you trust more? The Steelers or the Lions?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers but it’s irreverent since Detroit wasn’t the only team that needed a QB. You introduced an argument I was never making.

Elvis posted a history of the draft dating back to 2000. Very few QB’s drafted after the first have made it. So let me ask you, do you think the Steelers were the only team to get it right and everyone else was wrong about Pickett?

Detroit felt the same as every other team except the Steelers, there’s a good chance they are right and the Steelers are wrong on this one. But again, I don’t know why you are making this about Detroit, about 6 teams needed a QB.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm pointing out top 10 because that was when the Panthers, Falcons, and Seahawks passed on the quarterbacks. There is a big difference between top 10 and the back end of the first round.

You brought up the teams with multiple first-round picks. As it turns out, three of those teams seemed to have no interested in taking a quarterback this year. The Giants said all along they were sticking with Jones. we can disagree with that decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't their choice. The Jets just took one last year. I don't agree with what the Saints are doing, but they chose to go with the guys they have, not even taking a quarterback later.

That leaves the Lions, which comes back to the question of who you trust more, the Lions or the Steelers. That should be an easy answer.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you trust the Steelers more, but you think the Lions were right? That makes little sense.

I reject your premise that the Steelers were the only team that thought Pickett was worth a late pick in the first round.

I'll stick to the facts, which tell us only one thing, that the Steelers were right to pass on all of the other quarterbacks in the first round, including Willis.

22. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Going back one more year, they made the conference championship.

The horrible loss to the Jaguars is in that five year span. No sugar coating that.

Those five years also contain a HoF QB missing a year and then not being the same player for two years after returning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, I know what this is. Your whole response to my OP to Brice has been odd but this is all about you obsession to be right. You favored Pickett as the only QB to take in the first rd and of course my response to Brice challenges that.

I really wasn’t taking a shot at Pickett just pointing out that no other team looked favorably at this draft class. You can defy common sense and logic all you want to make yourself feel warm and cuddly about being “right”, knock yourself out.

As far as your failed gotcha moment about trusting the Steelers but believing the Lions were right, thats more incredibly flawed logic. First of all I never even said they were right, I said you should be concerned that they and every other team needing a QB passed on Pickett in the first as well. Secondly just because I trust the Steelers more doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of making a mistake. You better damn well hope they didn’t here.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :amen:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That and you are also right about him getting the last word. More childish thinking that somehow the person getting the last word in makes them right.

Scribe never walks away from a debate first.

This is Scribe after every time he gets the last word in…

upload_2022-5-24_8-35-45.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4