1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers stole Austin from Ravens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JD86, May 2, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that, but I keep seeing the discussion of Archer and others like him and that really isn't relevant. They play different positions.

They need to be able to employ Austin like any other receiver, then maybe put in a few wrinkles just for him, or none of it works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What is really nice is everyone praising the Ravens draft but not acknowledging that it really tipped their hand on what their offense will be like in the coming season. The cut or traded their wr's, drafted defensive players, OL and TE's. They will be running Jackson a lot and hitting the TE when uncovered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree that would be the ideal plan, have him be a regular part of the 3 wr package and then work in the gadget plays. The Archer comparison comes because of size, the better one would be McClouds first season in Pittsburgh vs the rest. Unknown guy, made some serious splash plays but by seasons end it wasn't new and teams started to defend it. By last season the had him just play the position and dumped the wrinkles they used him for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    For those of you who were hanging out in the draft thread, see? This is what happens when you don't post who you want. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree that has to be the plan, if anything happens to Andrews they will have no credible passing attack at all really. I suppose Bateman could be good if he is healthy and it wouldnt surprise me if Landry ends up signing there but I still can’t believe that they didn’t do anything at WR in the draft. They’ll probably win a lot of regular season games but the lack of weapons on offence will almost certainly catch them out in the playoffs

6. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Legit point made I must agree

• Like Like x 2
  7. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, exactly, thanks Thorn. As I've mentioned in previous posts, these 5-7, 5-8 guys rarely work out. McCloud,Switzer, Henderson, Stevens-Howling, Archer, Rainey etc, are ones we've drafted or signed in the past that fit the same mold, there have been more but those are the ones I can think of, all small and speedy, how many times has it worked out? I hope I'm wrong about Austin and that he does work out, but he certainly fits that same mold as the guys above. I'm excited about his potential just as I was about the guys above but just trying to be realistic here.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    We are dealing with quite a different offensive coordinator than we've had in a while.

I see no reason in the world that he couldn't be very effective in a "Welker" type role. Short crossing routes, and screens. Get the ball in his hands, in space, and he's probably going to be a positive contributor to the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hasn’t that always been their offense? No team employed their TE’s as much as the Ravens, IIRC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    They do run a lot of two TE sets but the recieving threat is Andrews. He had like 250 catches last year for close to 2000 yards. I'm barely exaggerating. He is Jackson's number one guy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Love your analysis. Conner H was not just chosen because of Cam. Watching his videos the kid has talent. Sp teams will be where he can make an immediate impression, but I believe he can be a guy they envisioned Samuel's to be. Like you said it's to be seen if it will translate to the NFL level. A couple of times when he was starting to get tackled I swore I saw the old Ironhead lol. I know big dreams, but those old memories of his dad are so sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hopefully, he balls out on special teams.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The difference here is that Austin is faster, but yeah, better if they just let him be part of the regular offense, which includes plenty of jet sweeps and screens, anyway.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    All I’ll say to those who are writing him off is go watch some games of his. The guy is a hell of a player on film. Will it ultimately translate at the NFL level? We won’t know until he gets out there, but unlike many of the smaller guys we’ve seen in the past he has both straight line speed and exceptional quickness to change direction. Go watch some games and tell me that a slot defender like Mike Hilton would keep up with him in man coverage. No chance of that happening without holding him.

I hadn’t watched any of his film pre-draft, so my initial reaction was “ehh, another WR?” Since then I’ve watched a lot, and I’m intrigued as all hell to see what he can do for us. I did not feel that way about Archer, or Rainey, or some of those other guys who had some traits and skills, but lacked others.

One other thing: unlike some of those other small receivers who come into the NFL, his team used him as the X receiver on the line of scrimmage, so he’s been tested routinely by physical corners trying to press him and has had success. That battle testing on the line of scrimmage is something that smaller college slot receivers don’t get, and they can struggle with NFL physicality. I have a good feeling about him.

• Like Like x 3
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. I believe they aren't Hiding it now. LoL.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell even normal size Wrs transitioning from College 2 the NFL have trouble with getting of the press. I remember Michael Irvin talking about it one time. He had Me laughing. He said He thought He may never catch a ball in the NFL. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he's 170

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, it's been real rough out there for Tyreek Hill. Imagine how good he could be if he didn't fall over every time the wind blew lol

In all honesty its all pointless. Hill is less than 1/2'' taller than Austin. I'm sure he can put 5-10 lbs on in the NFL no problem and we don't even have a conversation anymore. He is the first "smaller guy" or "gadget player" that we have drafted that actually plays the position. He wasn't a trick play artist in college, he was a WR, who beat real CB's from all over the field averaging 1100 yards and 10 TD's over his last two seasons. He only had 8 collegiate rushes logged (3 went for TD's). Kid is a WR. Whether or not he is a good one remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I seem to remember a long time ago the Dolphins had a couple of small receivers. Called them the smurfs I believe they seemed to do pretty well

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am sure the Rats made up for it with their 500 4th round picks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    #1, Andrews is that good. #2, Jackson has trouble throwing outside the numbers. He's fine with the middle of the field. To Thorn's point, they want to play tight defense like they always do and bludgeon teams with the running game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    True but there was like a 15% chance Jackson would uncork a deep throw to Brown. Don't think that will be a threat going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think they are done. I imagine they will at least sign a free agent, though that may be someone like Landry Jones rather than a deep threat.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We stole Austin? Interesting being that the ravens never had him.