1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers DeMarvin Leal.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 29, 2022.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We will crush them They suck! -----
    Hillbilly Biker

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I saw him as a rotational player. And that is not a bad thing.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I get the feeling we are not impressed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So another hall of famer? I’ll take it

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I kept waiting for the thread to be made..... But silence.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tuitt's replacement?

I got to be honest, we needed a DT. I'm surprised it was a DE we took. I can't see it any way other than hedging their bets on Stephon.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Welcome to the Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope we can look back later and say we did good.

Not too interested in the rest of the draft. Probably watch tomorrow until our next pick is done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Wish they would've traded up in front of Rats for Jones

Not sure where Leal fits but over now

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Karl Dunbar, John Mitchell and Cameron Heyward all better light a fire under his ass for his overall consistency is very concerning. Should this happen for Leal... not only will he outplay his draft stock, you are likely looking at either the best or second best IDL from this class three years from now.... should all go well with him. For now, he is a boom/bust pick and arguably the biggest one among all Day Two selections; Tyquan Thornton, Sam Williams, Troy Anderson (schematic wise) and David Bell included. Only one that supersedes his boom/bust is Malik Willis.

As always though, I truly hope he can prove me wrong!!! :steelflag::steelflag::steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Throughout the 2021 season, a fair portion of the conversation surrounding the Texas A&M football team was in regards to who the Aggies’ best player was. While the answer on the offensive side of the ball was somewhat clear — Kenyon Green — the best player on a stacked defense could be a number of A&M’s guys.

That said, one might rise above the rest. That player is an A&M defensive lineman, DeMarvin Leal.

Throughout the 2021 season, Leal was largely considered a first-round prospect on the defensive line. Leading up to offseason testing, including the NFL Draft Combine and Texas A&M’s Pro Day, Leal seemed like a priority pick. That changed quickly.

Texas A&M football defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal’s poor testing may have just made him the biggest 2022 draft steal
    Unfortunately for Leal, he did not test well. Actually, that may be an understatement — Leal had as debilitating of an offseason as physically possible. If he had sustained an injury and not tested at all, he’d likely be landing higher in most mock drafts.

Unfortunately, Leal has become a second-to-fourth-round pick in virtually every full mock draft in existence.

Now… if you’re familiar with me, you know my opinion on NFL mock drafts outside of the first round. If you’re not familiar, my opinion on the late rounds of NFL mock drafts is that they’re almost completely pointless and a waste of time. But sometimes, you can gather useful information from these.

For example, CBS Sports’ full seven-round 2022 mock draft has DeMarvin Leal dropping to the third round. A player who was once considered a top ten pick has officially fallen to middle-round status.

But on a long-term scale, none of this matters. It’s almost comical how much NFL scouts are willing to overreact to a player’s testing when that same player has given nothing but elite production.

As early as his freshman season, Leal was an important contributor at A&M. The Aggie defensive lineman accumulated 38 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and two sacks in his first year. He improved steadily. The next year, he’d record seven tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. In his final campaign, he’d tally 12.5 tackles for loss along with 8.5 sacks.

Leal wasn’t just productive, either — he was the type of player who would draw a double-team no matter where he was on the field. Opposing offensive coordinators would spend nights game-planning for him specifically.

So why are a couple of bad testing days having such a huge impact? Who knows.

One thing that is abundantly clear is that NFL scouts are begging to be proven wrong. Leal was a five-star prospect coming out of high school and he’s an elite NFL Draft prospect. For two days to throw that down the drain is mind-boggling.

Write it down, bookmark it, or do whatever you need to do. DeMarvin Leal will be the biggest NFL Draft steal in 2022.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gigemg...l-demarvin-leal-biggest-2022-draft-steal/amp/

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So I like to see what news was saying about a player before they were selected..

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good 8 minute video on Leal.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    I've already screwed up and called him LeMarvin Deal once, and he's not been a Steeler for 24 hours, yet. I just hope I get past that quickly. And that it doesn't become another "Vernon Hayes" career tongue twister for national broadcasters.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here’s Leal vs Auburn in 2020. Overall not a ton to like here, but late in the game he looked better on the edge and strung together a series of wins vs. the Auburn tackles even though he didn’t get him. In the 1st half he looked like an average college player. I’m the second half you can start to see the guy who emerged in 2021. Still, his lack of quickness in space is obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, he isn't 4-3 DE, but I think he is a probably a better fit, and will excel better, in the Steelers defense as a 3-4 DE.

He is not a NT though, we got Cam, Tuitt, Loudermilk, and Wormely ... they only keep 4 on the roster, with 3 NT, and maybe one hybrid/ST guy.

Who is he battling out with here?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Good grief he is slow. If he's going to be that slow than fatten him up and make him a DT.

20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I really don't know. Because only thing I'm seeing is fatten him up and turn him into a DT.

21. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't see how he projects to a NT/DT for Steelers, I think that would be a mistake. Just my opinion.

22. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Kind of brings to mind Ziggy Hood who was also a tweener between tackle and end. If he works out as well as him I'd be pleased, but concerned he doesn't have the quick burst needed in NFL

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Go watch Him play in the SEC.....watch the ability. Not saying He will Be awesome, but....Some people just don't have great 40 times. Calais Campbell ran a 5.06....V. Burfict a 5.00....just 2 name a few.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s not going to be converted to a nose tackle. He’s going to play DE in our system like Cam and Tuitt. If Tuitt returns, we’ll have 5 of them with Wormley and Loudermilk. Are we really going to enter the season with 5 DEs? Neither him nor Loudermilk would be safe on the PS.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s not going to be converted to a nose tackle. He’s going to play DE in our system like Cam and Tuitt. If Tuitt returns, we’ll have 5 of them with Wormley and Loudermilk. Are we really going to enter the season with 5 DEs? Neither him nor Loudermilk would be safe on the PS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1