1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on day 2 of the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There is gonna be some good talent leftovers from this draft

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with all , but Pickens being a Claypool clone....I would (of course) rather gone D every pick, but Claypool wishes He had Pickens hands, body control, and blocking ability.
    Of course I'm putting the only tape I have available that's fair, and that's their college tape against each other.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    With the Austin pickup in the 4th, I can now completely change my opinion on the #2 Pickens selection.

Pickens no longer needs to be the complimentary deep threat the Steelers need; now he can compete with Johnson and Claypool for that #1 WR position.

Still don't like the Leal pick, but it is nice to know the Steelers Karl Dunbar knows the challenges ahead for Leal. At only 21 years old Leal will hopefully be able to add some strength and be better at playing inside on the D-Line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Well, I am overall disappointed in the draft.

Missed out on several potential upgrades. Drafted shrimpy WR early (might be good for 5'7", but still shorter and lighter than me...not good). Overdrafted Connor Heyward. If we're lucky his brother kicks his arse every day to whip him into working and getting better. ST player only is my guess.

I saw Darrian Kinnard/OL from Kentucky slip...Chiefs got him. Saw a few slipping DL and CBs and nothing. I was even enamored with taking Josh Jobe/DB Alabama with a late pick...nope.

The last four picks were...not good. The first round pick will be endless debate, but at least I can see the merit. Only the 2nd round pick feels like a good one and even that comes with caveat of coming off injury, will he ever be as good as before injury.

Baltimore killed it. Chiefs crushed it and even my hometown Falcons did reasonably well. The Steelers...not so much. At least we didn't trade away more future picks to move up to take a UDFA candidate in round 5 or 6.

I think Steelers might be better off with placeholder GM and just following a player ranking from PFF or Zierlein or Kiper (gulp) rather than staying with whatever flawed method they use.

Colber and Tomlin said the top 3 picks need to be immediate starters. Maybe they're gonna come close. Leal has old guys in front of him, so he'll be starting next year likely at the latest by default. Pickens, should see playing time this year given the low quality on depth chart behind Diontae and Chase. Pickett, lets hope if he doesn't start its because Trubisky looks surprisingly good rather than Picket looking hopelessly bad.

The past few years have been disappointing. I have to remind myself that MOST teams don't come out of draft with more than two players left on 1st/2nd depth chart after 4 seasons, so expecting 4 or 5 good picks is unreasonable. Still, I see talented players slipping, a few teams seemingly the ones to take advantage while Steelers go get some player with maybe one good trait and several red flags. Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I'd trade our draft for Baltimore's.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Speed I agree with. Technique? Disagree though for different reasons. When Leal is locked in, he easily plays to that Top 20 talk many of us heard about during the 2021 NCAA FBS I season. However, his consistency truly comes and goes; his technique greatly affected overall.

Outside of the technique though, I agree with you on his weight. Teryl Austin alluded to the fact that Leal could likely be asked to add more weight. Leal stated that he does not feel the need to. Interesting little nugget here though; Leal arrived at Texas A&M at 295lbs as a Five Star Freshman Recruit. I personally do not see why he cannot get back up to 290lbs at the very least.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I must say, I didn't want Willis. But after reading how he responded after being drafted, im not so sure we didn't miss one here. his emotional intelligence is very high for a college kid.

Good luck to him.

I kinda liked the draft.
    I expected a QB in the first. But was only hoping we didn't trade up for him. Win!
    Leal in the 3rd was fine. Wanted Marcus jones or Leo Chenal, or Channing Tindall. But Leal works too.
    i liked Austin. As much as i liked Gray (who was the favorite 4th round pick.

I expected Heyward in the 7th. I was Hoping he and Pola Mao. would be the legacy picks.

And i wanted a LB in 6. But we got one in 7th that I had never heard of.

Outside of the final pick who was a QB, it was a generally expected draft. And it seemed there was interest in the QB kid. Can back up

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There were two things I really liked about Willis, his arm strength and what I knew of his character. He seems like a good kid. I'm still happy the Steelers passed on him in the first round. They were absolutely right to do so even if he does turn into a good pro.

Heyward was too high, but I do like drafting him. I'm just not sure how he fits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Heyward is a hard, punishing runner. Something the Steelers do not have behind Najee.

Reminds me of somewhere in between Merril Hodge and John Kuhn. Both players had careers in the NFL because they ran hard.

AS much as I want to see Najee running with the FB in front of him, I just don't believe Watt is that guy.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1