1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical draft question: If Pickett, Willis or Ridder is there @20, do the Steelers draft a QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Was you thinking of Willis?

2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think with the Haskin's tragedy, yes.
    - Why? The 2 QB's (Mason and Mitch) are question marks until they can prove otherwise.
    They will go into camp with 4.
    - Who? Pickett is the most Pro Ready, Willis sems to have athleticism but not experience. These two are talked about a lot.

The wildcard is "who is actually available"
    Some predict that No QB's will be taken in the first. - if that is the case, the Steelers likely will grab a more 1st round worthy player and gamble on a QB in the 2nd.

What I actually think, I am on the fence.
    I think what they would like is to come out of this draft with a Safety, OL, LB and a QB.
    I think they would not mind is being able to get:
    Willis - They like his mobility and skills and he could sit for a year as well.
    Pickett - They like his skills and mobility as well. He might push the current two though I think Tomlin would prefer to sit him.
    I think those two will not be available.

Options
    Howell - they could probably grab him in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd.
    Corral - is the other Sr... probably would have to grab him in the 2nd.

But it's a complete guess. Pittsburgh has done a great job of not tipping their hand. We know they need one, we know they have scouted well.
    The other thing is, if they can grab a QB this year without using assets in a trade, there is no harm is taking one this year and one next year.
    If Mason can't step into the role he was drafted for, it's probably time to move on.
    If Mitch can't beat out Mason, then he would be expendable too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    What you talkin' about Willis?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    One commenter thinks the Steelers want Willis, and that the other four are roughly equal behind him.
    Suppose that is true, that Willis is already picked, and that the other 4 are all there at pick #20. (Or replace Willis with whatever QB you think has the hot hand, as long as the 4 others are equal.)

Would it be likely that 1 of those remaining 4 would still be around the 2nd round? Or are there 5 QB-hungry teams that would get all of them before the Steelers make their second draft pick?

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm taking the Defensive BPA at 20 no matter what... but the Steelers would absolutely take Willis and probably Pickett there. Ridder is in my 2nd round group with Corral and Howell that I'd be okay with but I wouldn't take any QB in any round this year.

• Like Like x 3
  6. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Between college and pro's, does anyone know what Ben's win loss record was versus teams from Ohio?

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    No young stud for the O-line in 1st two picks? Have we done enough patchwork to get away with that? I hope we get at least one so we can find out if he is as good as we thought before next year`s draft to set up a competitive 2023. Would be good with me if first 3 were OL, WR, and a defensive position, pretty much in that order.

• Like Like x 1
  8. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I honestly think they may have considered passing the first round QB pick this year and maybe making the pick in Round 2 if any of them were available. With the unfortunate passing of Dwayne Haskins, I'm sure the discussion will be intense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Honestly, none of them might be there. I could see at least 10 teams that might draft a QB before #20.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    You had some good points, but in regards to what I highlighted ...since the question is "do you take one at 20??" then I would much rather take a sure thing or best available player at 20. I dont think you take either at 20 because there is too much uncertainty behind them both and if they turn out average or bust then you've wasted a first rd pick that can set you back in another area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    65-14-1
    15-1 in college
    26-3-1 against the Browns
    24-10 against the Bengals

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Do they? yes....Should they? no!

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm curious why the experts say next year will be a better QB class? I mean outside of maybe CJ Stroud and Bryce Young who is there to drool over? And "IF" CJ & Bryce have stellar years and come out..... we still won't stand a chance at drafting them. The NFL has never seemed to work out for those OSU QB's anyway, so not sure it'll be any different next year.

I hope that we go into the season with Trubisky as our starter, and he can manage games with a stellar running game and defense, to win some games. If we can worry about QB one or two years down the road it'll give us a chance to re-tool around him. I'd probably be looking at a safety, WR, OL tackle, or DLine (tuitt replacement??) in the first round this year. Just my opinion.... :)

14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

Let's just hold on tight til we can draft Archie Manning

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I'd prefer Arch Manning... Archie probably doesn't have much an arm anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

People tend to forget that this very same 2022 QB Class was supposed to be great despite not having a true number one. Rather, Sam Howell was the presumptuous number one overall pick way back in the spring of 2021. Look what ended up happening to Howell. Who is to say that the same thing will not happen to the likes of CJ or Bryce Young?

For that matter and, forgive me for saying such but, is anyone else here not truly 100% sold on Young? Do not get me wrong, his overall skillset is worthy of his recognition for certain; doubly so his tenacity and perseverance for taking some hits to the chops. That said, just like Kyler Murray, I have my reservations about how much punishment he can take given the fact that he was the fourth most sacked QB in the nation. Not only that, anyone else notice his pocket poise and comfort when longer developing plays begin to happen? Bear in mind that the 2022 FBS National Title Game is just the tip of the iceberg of this happening to Young in 2022. Now, he can and will likely grow from some of these shortcomings (he had shown growth in said area's down the stretch anyhow) but his overall ability to take punishment is still something that will have to be answered for certain.

He has never been seriously injured but has been nicked before. Also, playing at 190lbs is not going to work in the NFL; doubly so when 250+ to 300+ Defensive Players fall on you repeatedly.

17. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Will they draft a QB if so? YES

Should they? NO

18. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    or a stud OT or DL if available. Build the friggin lines and get young and strong. The OL is improved, but that ain't saying much. It's still below average as a group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Interesting thread in that most think we will draft a QB, yet among those who vote yes, some say they don`t want to.

Not much faith in management holding off on a QB till next year, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Unfortunately, I think the Steelers will draft a QB if one is available at 20. I personally wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hines referred to Ridder as = Wilson extra light...I THINK he must have been referring to Willis , who is the same height...As opposed to Ridder who is 4" taller

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They signed James Daniels to solidify the right guard position, Mason Cole will be the center. Kevin Dodson on the left.

I like the Dan Moore and feel his arrow is pointing up. Chuks hopefully excels after the contract.

We won't know how this unit will gel yet.

To me offensive line can be added later in the draft and through cuts.

Kendrick Green will move to his natural position and they resigned Hassenauer for center depth. Joe Haeg and John Leglue are on the roster as well.

They have to focus on defense. The D Line (NT/DT) and Safety first and foremost.

Add a receiver to the mix. Or two.

• Like Like x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    upload_2022-4-19_11-0-59.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I knew what you meant. I was just making a lame Gary Coleman reference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, what Pickett is right now just sucks. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what measurable does he lack? Is this narrative that he has no upside as a pro based entirely on hand size?

I guess some people get this idea because Willis has a stronger arm? Yes. Willis has better physical tools. He is also incredibly raw, doesn't throw well under pressure, and lacks consistent accuracy. I guess the people who have been fooled into loving him don't think those things will matter at the pro level.

Pickett has size and mobility. He has an NFL arm. No, it isn't Josh Allen's arm, but it's a heck of a lot better than Rudolph's. He can make those tough throws to the sideline and over the middle that the Steelers have been lacking the last few seasons. Early in his career, he was a guy who made terrible decisions under pressure. He isn't that guy any longer. Some talking heads, and some folks here, have somehow turned it into a negative that he is the quarterback in this draft who is most ready to play right away.

In answer to the question, it does seem as if the Steelers would take Willis at 20. I think they would take Pickett there, too. I think the Wilis love is a big of a smokescreen. I'm not saying it isn't real, but maybe it is also out there to mask that they are also very interested in Pickett.

Ridder would be a fantastic second-round choice, even one they could move up to get, but 20th overall is too high.

• Like Like x 1