1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Nope
    Jetts

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me, Matt Corral might as well be the "Contingency Plan" should neither Willis or Pickett are within striking distance. That said and sadly, nothing major came from the Annual Meeting as a whole in terms of discussions; usual rule changes and some indirect hints at Draft Plans. Scott Fitterer is attempting to move the goalposts in stating that while the Panthers need a QB, other options such as OT or even EDGE are under consideration; a smoke screen to me. For me, it is possible that the likes of Carolina attempt to leap frog the Steelers but by how much they will is anyone's guess.

Detroit Lions GM Brad Holmes has been on record during the Annual Meetings in stating that the team has received calls from multiple teams to move up to two. Now, I doubt the Steelers are one of them but Carolina??.... They have the Draft Capital and Matt Rhule is essentially coaching for his Coaching Career.

Now, this all coincides with Mitch as whomever is under him is going to have to be his understudy. Whoever that may be I doubt Mitch has an issue overall but given how much Matt Canada uses so many RPO/Spread Concepts... Matt Corral has dealt with those for so long that it is second nature to him at this point. Now, the more finite points of the QB Position...... that is where Mitch can assist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What is a Jetts

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Solid bet

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Unless you believe these "experts" who say the Steelers didn't sign MT to be the starting QB. No idea where they are getting this sh*t. But it's popping up more and more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll take that contingency plan.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk I'm souring on taking any QB in the first round not named Pickett. Unfortunately I think Colbert thinks it's his duty to draft a QB before he leaves. He really shouldn't if we're gonna have to turn around and do it again a couple years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s a good QB and perfect for what they want to do. I’m not down on this QB class like others are though.

He’s a leader and gutsy as hell. When Pickett was sitting out his bowl game, Corral played in his and got hurt. When asked if he regret it he said:

“Absolutely not. I wouldn’t be in that position without those guys. I never thought about opting out until teammates came up to me asking if I was going to play or not. It was never a thought in my mind. I was going to play regardless.”

“I had to really make it a point to address the team and say I’m all in. … I took pride in being their leader.”

He has the right attitude and talent to make it in this league.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Corral is growing on me. He is not nearly ready to be a starting QB in the NFL, but he has legit upside. He is pretty accurate, and has plenty of arm talent. He’s one of the few recent QBs I’ve seen who can throw at the second level with enough zip to beat the safety coming up, but also enough touch to get it over the LB dropping. He can throw on the run moving right or left. He’s tough as hell.

The issues with Corral are between the ears IMO. I don’t mean that in the same way as a Mayfield or Manziel. What I mean is that he needs to lose some bad habits. Toughness is great, but a foolish level of toughness will land him on IR. He also needs to show that he can consistently process multiple reads. JT O’Sullivan had a recent video study of one of Corral’s games which was really helpful to watch, and then go back and rewatch many of his games to see what JT was saying about how he’s reading and his footwork. The upside is there, but it still needs development.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to be honest with myself. I was in the camp of rooting for the underdog and hoping Mason Rudolph can bounce back strong and win the starting job proving all his doubters wrong. After hearing a few of Trubisky's interviews he is saying all the right things and I cannot help but root for him too. While I believe he may win the starting job, I think we will see both QBs this year. It's going to be a tough summer camp with the QB battle.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    On the other hand, Pickett achieved every single goal he laid out for himself and his team this past season. Then he bailed on a meaningless bowl game. Corral's injury showed exactly why that was an intelligent choice. Once they get to the pros, there is no other level to worry about. That's it. It's time to go until they can't go any longer.

I wouldn't hate them taking Corral at 20, but I think they are better served to address one of their many other needs. They can get better value at other positions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Meaningless to who? I get the logic behind Picketts choice but give me the guy that stands by his teammates over personal goals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    One of the things I like about him is he knows what he needs to work on and then does it. His accuracy and ball protection both improved this year.

I’ve heard him talk about how he has to be smarter in the pros about how he runs, so I have no doubt he will do that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmm..:hmm:
    That's a hard one. I agree on both of Your views (not on taking a Qb), but if I was Picketts, Corrals, or anyone that had already a chance at a top 2 round picks father....I guarantee they don't play a bowl game....outside of the National Championship bowls.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Anybody think that if Pickett is there at 20 that the Steelers pass on him? Personally, I would take him if he's there but there will be a ton of pressure for him to perform well immediately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I say ignore the "experts" overall. Remember that much of these people are that in title only; no different than some of the "journalists" in Sports Media as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I doubt it honestly for the team has spent too much attention on him. For that matter, should neither be there by pick 20, I would imagine that the Steelers either select or trade up to select Matt Corral. He would be the best remaining hand in glove fit for the Matt Canada Offense; one that is heavy on RPOs/Spread concepts. Corral has operated in that Offense for the past two seasons. Not only that, he has a very good arm overall and can be a weapon in the ground game.

All this said, biggest reason why I would select Corral is that he can sit and learn behind a player who had many of the same shortcomings when he came in via Mitch Trubisky. Not only learn from the sidelines bit also fine tune his game overall. That way, should the team believe Corral is ready come 2023 and Mitch is beaten by him... full steam ahead on the Corral Train.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Oh for sure, I'm just dumbfounded with their takes on the MT signing.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He talked about two goals, winning the ACC and improving his own draft status. One of those was a team goal. This idea that he somehow betrayed his teammates over a game that gained the players nothing is just comical.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't imagine he will be there. If he somehow falls, they should take him, but I'm not sure they like him all that much.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Still going to stand behind the guy that doesn’t abandon his teammates. It was important to them.

Trying to spin that Pickett didn’t is comical.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Jets I think. Elton John

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly what do any of those guys get from a bowl game at that point? They get a trip. Younger players get to work on things for next season and perhaps show the coaches what they can do. Maybe they show a few pro scouts something. That is pretty much it. The result of the game itself is quickly forgotten. The playoff has rendered most of the bowl games meaningless. I'm a Pitt alum. I watched regular-season games this year. I watched the ACC Championship Game. Those mattered. I may have watched five minutes of the bowl game because I knew the result really didn't matter. It was a glorified exhibition game.

It's not spin. It is an understanding of what the minor bowl games actually mean. Nothing.

Good luck finding anything negative about Pickett from anybody in the Pitt program.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    We will be lovin Mitch next season, he will suprise.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2