1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Cole - center - review signing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Mason Cole Is Suddenly A Stud

When the Minnesota Vikings traded a 6th-Round draft pick for Mason Cole last spring, folks spitballed whether he’d play right guard, replace Garrett Bradbury at center, or merely fill a reservist role on the team’s offensive line.

Cole is a center by trade, but the Vikings adore moving offensive linemen from their organic positions. So, fans tangibly believed Cole would replace Dakota Dozier at right guard, who started most of 2020 and struggled. Cole ultimately did not move to guard, but Dozier wasn’t re-upped as starting right guard either. That title was awarded to Oli Udoh, a player who started the season strong but soon devolved into penalties and reduced production.

Lo and behold, Cole emerged as the Vikings starting center.

Bradbury was in charge of the position for 2.5 seasons, losing his job — evidently — to Cole after Bradbury spent time on the COVID reserve list. Through some serendipity, Minnesota’s coaching staff learned Cole just might be a better center than Bradbury.

The numbers — at least through a few games — confirm it.

Suddenly, Cole is the Vikings top-graded offensive lineman, scoring a 71.8 per Pro Football Focus grade. And somehow, that tops right tackle Brian O’Neill’s score, which is 70.9 through 11 games. PFF is not without faults, but generally speaking, it serves as a reasonable indicator of player performance. For example, though, not a single Vikings fan around the globe would proclaim Cole a better football player than O’Neill.

The important part? Cole, so far, is outplaying Bradbury. That’s impactful because Bradbury hasn’t quite turned the corner for his career development. Bradbury is not a poor football player — he’s actually rather apt with run blocking — but he has not matched his 1st-Round draft stock with performance on the field

The Vikings have until this spring to opt-in to Bradbury’s fifth-year contractual option. Doing so would cost the Vikings north of $12 million, an unlikely splurge for general manager Rick Spielman because a sort-of journeyman Cole will be undoubtedly cheaper.

Minnesota has six games remaining in 2021, so those matchups (at DET, vs. PIT, at CHI, vs. LAR, at GB, vs. CHI) will be Cole’s almighty audition. For now, he’s vividly showing Vikings brass he can be the center of the future. But career verdicts take longer than 3-4 games. His solidification at center would also mean the Vikings only need one more solution on the offensive line. The right guard spot currently owned by Udoh just cannot be wholly solved by the coaching staff. Wyatt Davis, a rookie, is on the roster, but the team is extremely standoffish about putting the Ohio State alumnus on the field.

Otherwise, Christian Darrisaw (LT), Ezra Cleveland (LG), Mason Cole (C), Unnamed Solution (RG), and Brian O’Neill (RT) are a sturdy foundation for the years to come.

And the bizarre part about Cole is that he truly felt like a turnstile-type reservist offensive lineman, in the mold of Nick Easton or Brett Jones for the Vikings in years pas

But nope. Cole is suddenly on track to be the starting center for the next few seasons, barring any abrupt regression

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    - So basically his first year was nothing.
    - Vikings traded a 6th.
    - Vikings thought like us with moving OL players around.
    - Mason Cole stepped in mid season and performed better than their center for 4 weeks (nice pff grade)
    - When their original center returned. Cole was moved to RG and performed great.
    - suffered an elbow injury at the end of the season with one hand left. So they put him on IR.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    There's articles before he came here he would cost 3 year for 15 million. If that holds true. That's an amazing deal if he becomes center or guard for us (two positions we need to improve).

So this has me thinking the Steelers are going to see what top FA center or guard they can pick up. And then make Cole play the other position.

If he doesn't perform as a starter. Than at least we got a good player who can step in if our center/guard goes down.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Not a fan. The line is meh, left to right.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Yeah I want us to sign a big name stud for either center or guard

7. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Good signing, i hope they still draft an Oline man, but we can't have a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players starting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    He’s the best OL we have right now. Can we find 4 more? LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s a good signing we just have a ton of holes to fill. All these other little signings we are doing is needed, not sure why people are crying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I haven't seen much crying. Almost all I've read are people like us who know we need to stack up all the holes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like the signing, cost and ability.
    Anytime to can gain a "utility" guy like that, it is good, be it depth or be it starting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    very short arms. 32-1/8". chuks okrafor still at RT for the next 3 years. :huh:

:cool:

13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    wait. did we sign Mason Cole?

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yes - well, there's an agreement. 3 years, no $ yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the notes Cliff

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You're welcome. I'm new here, so I hope it was ok. Because I don't like shuffling 10 pages to see if we signed someone or not. And also want to know something about them, if it's not a known player.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Mason is already shown to do well with the Vikings. So things like how arm length don't matter.

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Well that's good news!!!! I'm pumped about that

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    It should not be much.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks isn't guaranteed to be with the team for that whole contract, I doubt he will get that whole 29 million, only 4.5 million in the first year. Who cares about Cole's short arms? He did alright with Minnesota in their run game.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wonder why they didn't keep him?

chucks will cost us dead money next year if released so it's not just 4.5 mil. this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    chuks will cost us very little in dead money if he were to be cut. He’s got a 1 million dollar base salary and a 9 million signing bonus. The next two years the majority of the money is tied to roster bonuses. The Steelers front office made a solid move to plug a hole and give us flexibility once again.
    Holy **** the sky is falling Cole’s arms are 3/8” shorter than pouncey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He was talking of getting rid of him next year. That would cost us around 6 mil. in dead money. Not just 4.5 this year.

Now as far as 32 inch arms, that is very short for NFL standards. It lets defenders get to their body. I never said he wouldn't work out but it is a concern. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    go watch his play against us this year when the Vikings ran for over 200 on us. You’re making a mountain out of nothing. Ps David decastro had 32 3/8” arms you never made a peep about it

• Like Like x 3