1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It is a little concerning that he named Haskins as in a competition with Rudolph when he originally was a no risk pick up and didn't hurt his status or help it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ...... !!!!!!!

One has to wonder about the bolded here..

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that Tomlin stated whomever the next GM is that he would be an "easy person to work with." What does that even mean? I understand coaches want to build their roster their way but the General Manager is not some form of road block nor should be looked upon as such. Not saying neither Tomlin nor Colbert dislike either, if at all but shouldn't GM/Head Coach relations be on friendly terms to begin with anyways?!?!

Mike Tomlin has stated some seriously bizarre aspects in the past for certain. This statement though might be the most bizarre I have ever heard from him directly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Umm......

Teryl does have that.. in spades mind you. Whether or not he can be successful here, with his own imprint on the defense... is of another story. Regardless, I do agree with the notion that the team would look outside the organization for a change.

• Like Like x 1
  4. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    They will hire Austin whom also sucked as a DC. Can’t wait for them to waste Cams, TJ’s and Minkahs years here. Rooney’s are idiots if they let it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wink is out in Baltimore

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

On another topic, may we all please stop indirectly comparing the 2018 Cincinnati Bengals or any variation of the 2014-Lions to the soon to be 2022 Steelers please? For that matter, may we all please stop acting as if said teams were defensive juggernauts the same? Realistically speaking, the most talented Defense Austin has ever had was coincidentally the 2014 Detroit Lions. How come? Here were the key Defensive players of that team;

Ndamukong Suh

Ziggy Ansah

Glover Quin

Darius Slay

Again... this is more or less, what Teryl had available. Post 2014?? Suh left and... that defense never recovered soon thereafter. Why am I mentioning Suh? Ndamukong Suh, liked or not, is on the 2010's All Decade Team. No other player is and, quite frankly, with the exception of Slay, there is not anything there for Austin to work with. It also does not help that the Ford Family cannot run the Lions to save their life; the Detroit Lions being, well.., the Lions acting as another factor.

Now..., let us compare that 2014 to what Austin can work with now shall we?

Cam Heyward

Montravius Adams

T.J. Watt

Ahkello Witherspoon

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Terrell Edmunds (yes I said that)

Alex Highsmith

Isaiah Loudermilk

*** Stephon Tuitt *** ( I am presuming he returns to full strength here; both of body and mind)

Tre Norwood

Quite a list of names... no? Of these players, I can count not just one but potentially two HOF caliber players; health permitting for the other. Minkah could be possibly three but I am not ready to anoint him such just yet as even getting into Canton as one is difficult to begin with; much less being first ballot. The rest though? Rock solid players; doubly so in Highsmith and Norwood's case. Loudermilk has far more potential than the likes of CJ Mosley and Andre Fluellen ever possessed. Tre is not likely to surpass the likes of Quin nor Slay but he has shown to be rock solid enough to be worth keeping around. Ziggy vs. Highsmith is not a debate and Terrell Edmunds, for all intensive purposes, is a far superior Strong Safety than James Ihedigo would ever have hoped to be.

To sum up? Yes, I am with most that this whole "in hire" practice is wearing thin; doubly so on the Offensive Side of the ball. However, unlike Matt Canada, Teryl has operated and performed well when given PROPER PLAYERS to work with. Let us give him a chance and see what he can do. Remember that Austin was brought in to fix up a secondary that would routinely give up big play after big play. Since his hiring, the Steelers backend has transformed from one that was constructed of tissue paper to a more respectable one. Yes, 2021 does not reflect this but much of this has more to do with the porous showcasing from both Devin Bush Jr and Joe Schobert being whipped in coverage periodically; Minkah having to play more in the slot at the beginning being one of the more oft forgotten but bigger reasons for his lack of production.

Now, all this said, among the coaches whom I have wanted gone for a long time, Jerry Olsavsky has been my personal number one ever since December 4th, 2017. Onward, he has been nothing but a disappointment and has done little to field even competent Inside Backers on the field; 2020 Robert Spillane included. If it were up to me, given how poor the ILB's have played dating back to the second half of 2020, Jerry's seat needs its thermostat cranked up quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You lost Me at T. Edmunds. I could make a 2hr lowlights reel of Him just from this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Funny, according to you, there is no such thing as an inside hire. Everyone is an outside hire when they first join the team. If they move to another position within the same team, guess what that is? I believe every coach you mentions was promoted from within, or an inside hire. JMO>

9. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    I just want the DC to you know actually run the def AND call all the plays on game day

Vs Mikey T calling them

Def of insanity IMO

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again and, as I said, unless someone on the board has a unique way of ensuring the Steelers that Kyle Hamilton is going to drop, Edmunds leaving is not going to happen unless he prices himself out. If anything, that is the absolute worst case scenario for the team as that adds yet another need to it. There is not a Strong Safety who is as athletic nor has improved as much as Terrell has not just on the team but also options that include Free Agency.

Keanu Neal is essentially all one can work with. Presumably Ronnie Harrison though and perhaps even Jordan Whitehead but neither option is definitive at present. Heck, even if they were, neither possess the athletic ability nor availability Edmunds has. Edmunds has missed only one game due to injury I believe since being a starter. Hard to find that anymore; safety or otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did say whether or not he can be successful, with his own imprint on the defense mind you. I have not ignored the aspect of Tomlin's involvement in all of this. Just wanting others to know that Austin is not as inept as others make him out to be. In addition, while Austin was a promotion from within, he was hired outside the Organization.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If you look at it that way every coach to get into the Steelers org is hired from outside. But when you've been here for a couple years and moved up, you've already been baptized into the Tomlin failed regime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm.... cannot say that is true. Remember that this secondary, prior to Austin's arrival was.... yikes. Specifically the 2015-2018 years in which Pittsburgh's Pass Defense was no better than one ply tissue paper. Post Teryl Austin??... different story. Again, I understand that being within an organization could incur some influence from the Head Coach though I do not agree as to how the team would obtain its staff otherwise?

If you are referring towards obtaining a major coaching position such as a DC from outside to be slotted into said position on day one... I agree. However, Austin really has his own style of defense given the fact that he was a DC once upon a time outside of Pittsburgh. I severely doubt that such knowledge has withered away since 2018.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You also don't see Tomlin talking into his headset when the team is on defense, that's why I'm skeptical of these reports.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mike Tomlin is the DC

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It works for Andy Reid, his OC stands right next to him, but Reid makes most of the calls on offense.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Anyone over Teryl Austin.

This is a guy that didn't last 1 year with the Bengals. And has done nothing at his current position of DB coach with the Steelers.

Anyone remember this headline after he was fired in Cincinnati? For the season, Austin's defense held just one opponent to fewer than 20 points.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I just saw a Bengals news site that was ecstatic at the thought of us hiring Austin as our DC because of how ****ty he was.

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Actually, I did, when rewatching the the game only when the Steelers defense was on the field the camera went over to Tomlin and he had a headset on and was talking…… not sure to who…….

Cajun

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I know this subject comes up often in the offseason, but what do people think about making the switch to an even front for base defense? I’m thinking about how that will affect certain players on the roster. The biggest beneficiary IMO would be Devin Bush, who we of course have a ton of draft capital invested in. Bush struggles on the inside, but seems to be ideally suited to be a “run and chase” WILL backer. Heyward and Tuitt can play any technique on the inside and can both handle one-gap and two-gap assignments with ease. Watt is perfectly comfortable in a 3 point stance and will be just fine without having to drop in coverage upon occasion. Highsmith should be good. In some of his best college tape he was playing exclusively out of a 3 point stance, and even lined up inside of the tackle on occasion. Just a thought for discussion.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need to think about current and future hires and just
    not promote from within. Lets here other ideas from outside
    and what can they do for us to get players to over achieve and have fun doing it.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sub-package football or primarily a 4-3? If they did some type of sub package it would be interesting what they do with the fourth man to let Watt rush the QB or are you thinking a 5 man pass rush?

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    4-3 base, and sub packages off of that. In a 4-3 you’re mostly changing to sub packages that affect the allocation of LBs vs. DBs, while your 4 man front remains. On the line you’re most likely only going to interchange between guys in your front who are better in base vs. better as pure pass rushers (if you have the luxury of having enough talent on the line to do that). Your base would generally be. 4-3-4, nickel 4-2-5 and dime 4-1-6. With current personnel, I would have Watt and Highsmith as the ends and Heyward, Tuitt and Alualu as a rotation inside. Against run heavy teams you might put Heyward or Tuitt outside on some first downs in place of Highsmith or Watt when they get breathers instead of subbing in a guy like Charlton, so in that case you’d still have a 4 man front, but with 3 “heavies” in obvious run downs. I could see that being effective against Tennessee. But for the most part Watt and Highsmith as ends with Charlton as the first rotational guy.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So basically not far off what they have been doing the last few years where you are utilizing your 3-4 personnel in a 4-3 scheme as opposed to a more traditional 4-3 where the two inside DT are eating up space and blocking and the DE's being bigger powerful edge rushers that can set the edge as well as bull rush and manhandle individual linemen. Somewhat similar to the Vikings front from 10 years ago with Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams where the the interior was just as effective stuffing the run and collapsing the package.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    exactly what i said if they do indeed bring brandon hunt up as GM. we might as well have tomlin be coach and GM in that scenario. omar was second in command to colbert for many years. why would he not move up to counter tomlin being supreme leader? 1 year after colbert got here omar was hired. now all of a sudden he's not good enough for the job? i find that hard to believe. this may be the work of art2. :cool: