1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Season Fixes. Need New OC. Fix O-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jan 17, 2022.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Who is available for offensive coordinator?

I hope management has a clue. Right one can make huge difference.

Am assuming we are going to let Mason have his shot while O-line repair job is underway in 2022 season.

Tough times ahead probably.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How many draft picks will we be able to throw at the problem realistically?

This is going to be a multi year fix.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    3 years minimum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    1. Try to get Mike Lafleur(Passing game coordinator) or Mike McDaniel(Running game coordinator) from the 49ers to be our new OC.

2. Try to get Bill Calahan to fix the oline.

3. Maybe even Pep Hamilton? He's worked with Luck in College and now Herbert.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  5. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I really hope Canada is gone. Some of the ineptness on offense can be chalked up to lack of talent and Ben's diminished skills. However, he had no clue on how to find a formula that would work better. It's almost as if he's never heard of a 10-29 yard pass play. 95% of the pass offense is either 5 yard dump offs or deep fly patterns. And are our receivers really that untalented that they can't get open or is it just that the plays are so predictable that defenses have those spots of the field locked down?

Focus should be on the offensive line in the draft and free agency. They will have money to spend and they need to upgrade more than what the draft can produce. The Dline will hopefully get either Alualu or Tuitt back. Then we just need one more plus some more talented depth. An upgrade at WR is also needed. I'm disheartened by reports that the Steelers will stick with what we have at QB or draft someone. No QB on our roster is the answer and there's nobody available in the draft that will be more than a stopgap or back-up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    a good Oline can make a average Qb look better. It also helps the running game to makeup for not having a superstar QB. I only wonder what this team and Ben could have done with a average oline

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Matt Canada likely is not going anywhere. Best to fix the Offensive Line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Canada doesn’t stay long anywhere he goes, he seems crotchety like Todd Haley. Probably wears out his welcome quick just like Todd.

9. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

Ughhhhh. Anytime I see pep Hamilton called I must give props. I maybe wrong but I would love to have him on my favorite team as an OC.

I see pep has a QB whisperer and would give him OC reigns today.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have many holes to fill, I too would like to see some people move on (coaches)
    but it won't happen. Hope Steelers can knock it out of the park in the draft
    and spend their windfall cap money wisely.

11. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    This offense was historically bad all year..We are not super talented, but this guy did nothing to put us in position to succeed.. Zero imagination

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to see some coaching changes, bring in proven winners, people with an NFL track record of past success but not really sure what Canada could do.

Ben had nothing left, it was glaringly obvious. Every year fans scream for a new OC, are they all bad? All the way to Haley whom I despised on a personal level but have to admit the offense was pretty good. Fans screamed for his firing, too.

There are always going to be situational moments we criticize, like three passes at the goal line and not once trying Najee but that will be true of any OC we get, no one is perfect all the time.

Draft some more oline players and sign a FA or two to fix that. Look for a QB and draft a NT to help sure up the run defense but a lot of the gashing came on 3rd down so that wouldn’t be a complete fix either but it would be a start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    This team has so many holes I honestly don’t even know where to begin. The O Line probably needs 3/4 new starters you need a QB although they probably go with Mason and waste next season. You need another receiver DJ and Claypool cannot be counted on at all. You need 1/2 Dlineman pending on if Tuitt decides he wants to play again. You need two inside linebackers you need at least 1 corner and 1 SS.

Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the o-line is playing slightly better under morgan in the short time he has been coaching them.

hassenauer is better then green. fix the right side. we can do that in free agency.

one corner and witherspoon.

one safety. maybe stiner can be that guy. killebrew possibly.

sign adams at the nose. get the rest healthy and back.

inside linebackers. need at least two.

WR.

QB.

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was ok and calm, accepted the loss.

Listening to SiriusXM NFL Opening Drive this morning.

Now hearing these guys, Fire the coaches.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was a sad ending to a season but was expected.

Offense:

Canada. I think he stays although I wouldn't say the seat isn't a bit hot. The O Line issues, he was handcuffed at times with an aging Ben, your top two receivers at times having butter hands.

I am on the record saying Johnson is our #1 but after last night and the dropsies he would be more of a solid #2. This issue has to be fixed. He is signed through 2022. I think they should wait to give him a big contract or franchise him in 2023.
    Chase Claypool is struggling as well, always on his back after another miss. doesn't fight for the ball. Hopefully he gets his head out of his @ss and has a solid off season. James Washington is probably gone not like they have used him properly at all unless they need to. Ray Ray McCloud, give him a respectable 3 year contract he showed he is versatile. They need another receiver and bringing in a vet might be a good thing.

The O Line struggles we all have seen. For the life of me I don't understand why the kept trotting Kendrick Green out there when game after game he was being manhandled and it took and injury for JC Hassenauer to get a hat and played solid. Not that I think he is the answer at center but a solid #2. Ba bye to Turner and Chuks. Dotson will be back and I believe Green will be in the running to replace Turner. Banner is signed and hopefully will take the right tackle slot. I feel Dan Moore has a solid future. He was a bright spot. Need to bring in solid depth. Haeg sticks around being versatile. Leglue also might be challenging for a starter spot.

Najee Harris is a bright spot as well as MUTHHHHHH. Steelers for years to come. I liked Gentry's contributions as well. Benny Snell is signed through 2022.

I believe that Mason will start with a possible 1st round QB pick or low tier FA and Dobbs the #3. Haskins could be signed to the practice squad but what's the point.

Defense:

We don't know if Tuitt is coming back so a DE/ DT is a need even if he does. Same goes for Alualu. He is under contract for 2022. I like Adams contributions as well he has carved out a roster spot. Heyward played like an All Pro. Wormley is getting better.

Watt and Highsmith will be a tandem to deal with for some time. Highsmith is coming along solid. Taco was a decent addition and Tuszka has improved but I would like to see a soild #3 brought in to spell the starters and not hoodwinked.

Bush. Horrible. Spillane. Can't cover. Schobert. Not impressed. And that contract :facepalm: The ILB room is in shambles.

Edmonds will be gone and not a moment to soon. Another 1st round mistake. Fitzpatrick has to many ups and downs although it might be the scheme. Is he worth a monster contract? IDK now. He is here next season under the 5th year option. Need a major upgrade at the SS position. Killebrew would be worth bringing back but not as a starter.

Haden will be gone. I liked his contributions but after getting burned last night a true #1 makes the play. I like Sutton and hopefully they sign Witherspoon. Norwood has moments as well as Maulet. Need to upgrade. And please get rid of that scrub Layne.

Harvin 2 1/2 should have competition in camp. Some team will probably scoop up Waitman.

The legend of Boz lives on!

They have a lot of work to do in the off season. And its not going to be a one year fix.

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chiefs fixed their Oline in an offseason.

so far Steelers did “some” moves this past offseason.

18. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This team is closer to being the Detroit Lions than the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm not exaggerating.

Unless we clean house (yes that means Tomlin) we're going to be stuck in no playoffs limbo for at least 7 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It is a shame the way it ended with Haley. He called really good games, it just so weird about all those stories of him popping up? Don’t know what his issue is/was? And, I guess Ben could not stand him.

20. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Good analysis. Only thing I'd change is I'd look to trade Johnson. Last year of his contract, he's got value...and is going to want paid more than he's worth. We need picks to find a few diamonds in the ruff at multiple positions. Anyone with value and an expiring contract I'd consider moving. If things go really well via the draft, we could maybe start back on an upswing in 3 seasons.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Their problems were just 2 tackles though

22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I feel like Pep Hamilton is flying way under the radar.

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Never heard of a 10-29 yard pass play? He loves those on 3rd and 2.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No formula was going to fix the offense this year. There was no single aspect that was bad.

Bad offensive line + immobile QB + below average receivers + rookie OC

How do you game plan for 1.2 seconds to throw the ball?

25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    First we need to replace the free agents or re sign them. Who do you really want to resign ? Haden, JuJu, Edmunds, Washington, Okorafor, Turner, RayRay, Witherspoon, Maulet, Killebrew, Ballage.... Alualu is 35 years old coming off a season ending injury. What's happening with Tuitt? He's making a ton of $ ...if he's not back you have to cut him. We can't pay Schubert $9mil to sit on the bench so we need to replace him also. This is a 2-3 year project and that's not even counting the QB hole. We can only hope that Mason shows some progress and earns a contract extension.

IMO we could be a competitive team even next season if we focus on building a good O-line . A legit good O-line which means we need a starting OT and center. Fixing the D-line could just mean Tuitt and a good NT and some depth. Replace Schubert with a legit run stuffing ILB. Plug holes in the secondary and WR's. That will have to wait another year. It probably makes sense to re sign JuJu and maybe Edmunds.