1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So what stops the Raiders and Chargers from tying?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jan 9, 2022.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am still trying to forget that.

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Collinsworth really ticked me off during that game. He was saying (paraphrasing) "Uh oh, what are the Steelers thinking about this, got to be gut wrenching" way early, showing his eagerness for OT, then possibly a tie that would deny us and it sounded like teasing to me. He was doing that when Raiders still had a 15 point lead, but SD was driving.

Usually I don`t have too much problem with him, but I think he was showing his true colors during that game. At best, this was a clumsy attempt to build suspense at Steeler fan expense IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Nothing will ever compare to the emotions I felt watching Bettis's fumble against the Colts (his first of the season), the shoestring tackle, rookie Bryant McFadden breaking up a Manning pass in the endzone and then just missing a pick on the next play, then ending with a missed fieldgoal of the most accurate kicker in NFL history at the time.

But this is a solid #2 for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Don't forget about the Polamalu INT that was overturned which would have clinched the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Solid #2s are good. Better than having to scrub the bowl when you’re done.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I had to go to bed with the Raiders up 15 and the Chargers driving. I just knew LA would tie it, but I am surprised both teams were so aggressive in the final seconds of overtime. I'm so glad I didn't stay up to watch. I don't need that kind of stress. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I went to bed and didn't watch a single play. Had enough stress for the day. Didn't need any more. I'm the wuss that has to get up at 4:30 am. Couldn't imagine watching that go to the last 2 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It doesn’t matter how you were wrong, you were wrong.

9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    You knew the tie was in play still when it was 29-14 with 8 minutes left because of how good Herbert is and what needed to be done to make it happen. I mean Herbert was giving me ulcers with all those Must have 4th down conversions he kept getting time after time. I honestly have no idea what Brandon Staley was doing calling timeout with 38 seconds. I don’t know how he goes back in that locker room and faces his team when he pretty much just pissed away a playoff spot.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Raiders coach said they was playing for a tie, untill they busted that 10 yrd run...... I think that run kinda surprised even them .

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bizarre season to go along with bizarre times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Woke up and saw that the Raiders won and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The I saw that the Raiders won a 47 yard field goal in OT with no time left and that the Raiders coach earlier considered kneeling and taking the tie but only kicked the FG once they got good yardage on a run play the play before the kick.

The FG was barely good too. If it had drifted 2-3 yards the game would have ended in a tie and the Steelers would have been out of the playoffs.

Whew.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Old enough to remember when the Houston Oilers won and helped us make Playoffs and Steelers sent them suitcases (I think) as a thank you???? I think we ended up winning the SB that year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Kept tossing and turning in bed. I'd grab my phone, check score, try to sleep. At one point I saw score and thought all is good so I dozed off. Woke up again and saw OT and got out of bed. Turned on the TV wanted to punch Collingworthless in the face. Turned down sound and just stood there frozen convinced the NFL was fixed or the world was ending soon.

I'm not sure what FG I yelled louder for BOZ's or Raiders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Anybody who went to bed was the smartest Steelers fan ever last night.

I lost 15 years off my life twice yesterday, and we came so close to missing the playoffs it wasn't even funny.

Lost 30 years of my life to probably go watch us get destroyed by KC, but heck it was worth it!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Benny, Tomlin is too good of a coach to let the Raiders miss that kick.

And if my aunt almost had male genitalia she's almost self-identify as my uncle.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. Although after the fact, what Steeler fan would possibly give aid and comfort to the Rats, Stains, or Bungals. Just the thought is beyond belief. So, it didn't happen, I believe, for this fact. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Our game came pretty close to being a tie and that is with both teams playing their ass off for a win. Plus it already happened to us this year. JMO>

20. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    26-14 Raiders
    This is good oh no way they can tie
    29-14 Raiders
    5 min to go, well looking really good they need two TD's and one with 2 pt conversion its looking really good still.
    4th and 21, oh its over just don't get a flag....
    Chargers score boom and get 2
    29-22. Oh well they still got a TD lead, gonna be hard.
    Chargers convert 4th down after 4th down, after 4th down, after 4th down, after 4th down after 4th down...
    Tie it up on last play with no time left.
    Steelers fans lets please vomit. Not sure who the two guys at the game wearing Steelers jerseys where but my goodness their butt holes looked so dang tight it was crazy....
    Raiders go down and make it 32-29.
    Ok just one stop, Chargers look like a guy might go for 60 yard td and end it. He gets stopped. Chargers kick a FG.
    32-32. OMG this is happening we are gonna get screwed....

Its John Madden this is all on John Madden, this is pay back for the Immaculate Reception, the only explanation.

Looks like time is gonna run out, Raiders might just punt, play for the Tie.

Chargers coach calls a Time out. OK?
    Josh Jacobs 10 yards, oh my maybe. Will they let it run out?

Daniel Karlson boom, Steelers in Chargers out...
    I couldn't fall alseep forever.
    Lost 30 years off my life yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So the Network kept showing the same 2 Steelers fans and Collingsworth kept razzing them.

Did they ever show their jubilation after the FG, that would have been awesome!

22. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    It wasn’t barely good it was right down the middle and cleared the uprights by 5-10 yards. So there was never any doubt once it left his foot that the kick was gonna be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When the Chargers kicked a field goal in OT to tie it up again with under 5 minutes left in OT I bowed out. It was after 11 CST and I needed the sleep. 25 minutes later like @steel machine I checked the phone and was like ok now I can sleep

24. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I was wrong simply because Staley call the TO. The Raiders were content to play for the tie and that's been said a number of times this morning. I guess I didn't consider the whatever you want to call the Chargers coach factor.

Take the gift but doesn't change the fact this game was headed for a tie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    We really owe Josh Jacobs, I mean if he doesn't get like 10 yards on a 3rd and 4 that game is ending in a tie.

As a Steelers fan you say its rigged, I've watched the NFL for 30 years out 36 years of my life and never witnessed a comback and set of events like that.

NFL also just needs to do away with ties completely. This league needs to play until their is a winner and loser in every game. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1