1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good day in the standings for the Steelers…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 11, 2021.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    At the start of the 2020 season, if you exclude the 19 point game against the Ravens, the Steelers scored 24-38 points in the other 10 games.
    The offense does need to improve their play from where they are now (and more defensive TOs), but it isn't an unreasonably huge leap for them to get back to that level.

As for the remaining games, that depends on how you define "brutal".
    The Steelers will be underdogs, but most of those teams have shown enough problems where the Steelers would only need some good luck to stack some wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It takes an enormous leap, IMO, to think defenses will start respecting Roethlisberger's deep passing and MOF passing to back out of the box. That is the crux of the issue - they know he can really only throw short so they collapse the field, and he hasn't yet been able to get them to back off.

3. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Are you saying that Ben's deep passing was good enough last season for teams to guard against it?

Opposing teams make adjustments in 1 or 2 weeks, based on game tape.
    I find it hard to believe that it took 11 weeks for opposing defenses to figure out they could stop respecting the deep pass.

(That would actually be an interesting study, if you know of anyone that posted an analysis of last season, and not just assuming what happened.

I find it easier to believe that getting shafted out of a bye week led to increased fatigue late in the season.
    Maybe it is only a difference of a few percent in performance, but it is a thin line between good and bad teams.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying this. Also they Had Him so figured out they just Kindly let him score TD. I guess they felt bad for Him.:shrug:
    Maybe....Just maybe they'll feel bad for Him and Let Him throw 30 or more TDs again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    At some point his downfield accuracy tailed off and has never recovered. Some cite a shot to the knee in the Dallas game. Whatever it is, it's a thing now and I don't see it improving.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His downfield accuracy seems fine when he throws those long TDs to Diontae, it would also help if Claypool caught more of those 50/50 balls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with the lofted passes on the sideline. Those don’t take the arm strength or lower body strength that throwing darts in the intermediate range in the middle do. He’s really not showing that he can make those throws. The same goes for deep outs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said this awhile back. One knows how 2 track , and adjust 2 the ball, one doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    There is an article on the Steelers Depot, where Alex comments on Ben's hip injury and how Ben said it affected his motion. What Ben said matches up with what Alex sees on tape, and what you'd expect from a painful hip limiting core strength.

If Ben shows improvement for the Browns game, then there is hope that a healthy Ben can make the necessary throws later in the season. (There may be doubt that he will be able to avoid getting more lower body injuries, but it seems like some people are assuming that there is no possibility of any kind of his passing game getting better.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger has admitted that the pain in his hip is messing with his mechanics and that he isn't getting his lower body into his throws. When I heard him explain it, I thought there was no way he should be playing right now.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I said that about Claypool when we drafted him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Diontae adjusted and walled off the defender nicely on both of those, basically Ben just lofted them out there and he made the play. DJ is easily our best, most consistent receiver. It would be nice if CC caught more 50/50, but they can't make those kind of passes the norm for him.

This guy should be dominating as a big slot, but they don't seem to want him there more than a handful of plays, one of the many personnel utilizations that have me scratching my head, along with Spillane in dime, Minkah's re-invention...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Right, we need more receivers like DJ to track down Ben's lofted prayers. The days of Ben hitting guys in stride downfield are long gone.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Those long TDs to Diontae were good throws, what are you talking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Vs. Denver, Diontae was breaking in and had to track back toward the sideline.

Vs. GB, a little underthrown, mitigated by DJ's beautifully subtle push off.

Basically he's lofting it out there and DJ is making plays.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Claypool didn’t have any trouble tracking balls his rookie season when he burst onto the scene.

Wonder what has changed, what could it be, hmmmm :hmm:

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He also wasn't getting a lot of long balls, and if Your into charts...The biggest misses down the right sidelines last Year were mostly 2 Claypool.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And this is where I wonder if You watched other games.
    I don't know a Qb that doesn't have lofted balls down the sideline some time during game that other Wr adjust 2.
    Just using Lamar....., and only because You said in one of Your threads before that He was better than what we have. I don't think He has thrown ,but one TD in His last 3 games that wasn't ....Well...I mean...Well adjusted 2 , and a Hell of a catch. If You watched others games ...it happens all the time.
    Kind of like the LBs covering Wrs.....that You use 2 like 2 go on a lot about. Till everyone pointed out game after game was happening 2 many other teams every week.
    Not cutting You down, but a lot of what You put down on the Steelers is happening all over the league with Great, and not so great teams.

For instance. A while a go I brought Up KCs O- line 2 compare 2 ours...instantly mocked by many on Here....Believe the words were....Are You comparing Ben with P. Mahomes??? P. Mahomes will pull out of that, and some such....
    Yet I wasn't even comparing the Qbs...I was comparing O- line....Yet How is it working for them....Most turnovers in the league, and same record as ours....even with a Young, great Qb like Mahomes......Yet You expect Ben ....Who I agree is not what He was ...Though still a Good Qb...2 do better under the same circumstances???

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Claypool regressed?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nah, obviously you aren’t watching

It’s Ben

You should be embarrassed for not knowing

But you wimped out and put me on ignore

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You My Friend get a disagree, but I won't use the button...LoL. He still has problems adjusting 2 the ball...most of the long ball misses last Year are 2 Him(Claypool)on the right sidelines ....Now Most of the long ball Misses are on the Left sidelines also 2 Claypool.
    Not saying Ben isn't a factor, but His long ball 2 Dj are more Hit than miss ...This Year , and Last....except for DJs little bit of Yips last year.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    The Steelers are currently the 6 seed in the AFC playoffs if the season ended today. This win was huge today with these 2 upcoming games at home with the Bears and Lions that are very winnable. If the Steelers aren’t 6-3 going into LA to face the Chargers 3 weeks from tonight in that Sunday night game it would be an epic disaster.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe every game is winnable...Now will we win them...????:shrug:
    I said this 5 weeks ago...when some were saying ....I can't even see us winning 3 games(the sky is falling crowd)...I watch an unhealthy amount of Football, and then when Football season is over I hardly watch TV....I have Yet 2 see a team that I'm like ....No way we can't win.