1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3:10 to O.T.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Oct 19, 2021.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Greetings, all! Definitely nice to get a couple consecutive wins.... (as a former West-Coaster, I still lament the fact that the Steelers are lifetime 1-7 IN Seattle, so I look forward to those Hawks games that are played in Pittsburgh where I believe we're now 9-3). Always happy for the win, but something about the way it got to overtime didn't set well with me (and I'm not talking about that final second which might have been avoided altogether if we had played it differently).

I didn't get to see the end of the game properly when that bad Seahawks injury occurred at 3:10, so I was only getting bits and pieces. In my mind, with 3:10 and a running clock near midfield and a tie score, I would have THOUGHT the ultimate goal would be get into field goal range and kick the winning FG with as little time left as possible. Boswell has been very accurate lately, so clock management becomes key to that strategy (which always makes me shudder given some weirdness in the past 15 years).

Even though Big Ben routinely lets the clock tick down to 1 before he snaps it, with 3:10 and running clock, instead of letting the clock run down to 2:45 at the snap and with the play taking several seconds, COULD have run the clock to the 2 minute warning or force Seattle to take a timeout, he snapped it at about 3:00. The next play was also snapped with about 10-15 seconds on the clock. Then, I didn't get a clear picture of what happened, but I think we had 2nd and 5. At that point in the game, 5 yards (I think) would practically have sealed at least the chance at a VERY high % field goal with almost no time left.... but instead we ran the 30 yard fly pattern (offensive pass interference, blah, blah blah.....) I just don't understand why we didn't try to get the 5 in that situation.

It's easy to second-guess and they did (just) enough to win so champagne glasses all around, but I don't understand the randomness of not taking clock down and THEN going deep when 5 yards would have set up Seattle with no timeouts and under a minute. I've been critical of Tomlin on numerous clock/game-management occasions, but I feel the one-second thing at the end of the game doesn't happen if we have our head in the game at 3:10 with a running clock. Seems like something we've never been able to take for granted.

Correct me if I didn't see it right, but can you imagine anyone else in that situation not taking the clock down as far as they could have twice in a row?

Hope everyone is well!

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You saw it correctly. This team has very low football IQ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought this was going to be about a sequel to 3:10 to Yuma.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin is the worst clock managing HC in the history of the NFL. Nothing surprises me anymore with his terrible mismanagement of the games.

This injury point in the game that you brought up though gives me an opportunity to apologize to that injured Seahawks player. The Steelers were really moving the ball very well during that drive. When the injury occurred, I said to my son that he needs to get up, he's faking it to slow the game down. I've felt terrible for a long time for saying that seeing how badly he was injured. Get well soon, kid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Memory on the above situation is foggy chronologically speaking but the question is always the same as I ask year after... why not play the down for the distance to keep moving the chains and burning the clock? I’m talking personnel and package wise as well. Sure you’re gonna have shots here and there but damnit If it ain’t 3rd and short let of fly. 3rd and long “let’s ring up another 2 yard dump off the YAC will get em” hahahahaha

situational football sometimes does not exist in this dojo!

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oh yeah well atleast he don’t film teams or bug locker rooms or deflate balls or win lots of super bowls and the such so he’s got that going!

hahahahahaha

yeah I said a prayer for the kid. Supposedly he’s gonna be A OK from what I read earlier. Atleast hope so!

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also a great Western. Both Versions. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No the Texans Coach ...can't remember his name...3 coaches back if You include the one they have now.
    He was the worst ever.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Not sure who you are talking about as I rarely watch the Texans but if he was worse than Tomlin then he probably was deservingly fired.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Gary Kubiak. Terrible game clock management. We got them a lot were I lived when he was a coach...So if I wasn't watching the Steelers, I seen a bunch of their game.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The worst I saw was by the Falcons when they were up 28-3 on the Pats in the Superbowl. Up 4 touchdowns they continually snapped the ball with 25-30 seconds left on the play clock. If the Falcons would have simply knelt down every play and let the clock run down to one second before snapping the ball they would have won. There simply wasn't enough time left in the game for the Patriots to win, they had to rely on the Falcons coaching staff to do stupid things to lose the game.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Why would Tomlin have anything to do with a snap count that's controlled by a 17 yr veteran QB??? U think you have to tell Brady when to snap the ball with that little time left in a one score game especially at this stage in his career???....seems like your issue is misdirected and you're pointing the finger at the wrong person based upon past issues. I notice you constantly find a way to incorporate a slight of Tomlin in a lot of your posts (even when he doesnt fit into the equation) which means you're a pure hater...either that, or your reading or comprehension skills are lacking (clearly for this post at least). Either way its not a good look. With every emotional/personal post u make (whether it involves Tomlin or not) I notice you constantly stick your foot in your mouth...EVEN BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I am not sure of the exact number but I think the falcons only ran the ball three or four times in the second half.
    It almost seemed scripted as the Falcons did everything they could to not run the clock, no running plays and snapping the ball with lots of time on the clock

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    i posted this on another site and got zero responses. I was thinking maybe i'm the only one
    watching this freaking game.

this video confirms exactly what went on. it also is very clear at about 6.15 when the player is taken off the field.

2.56 snap 24sec on clock left

Darrell Taylor Scary Neck Injury | LIVE 10-17-21 - YouTube

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good post, I must say I missed the game live as it starred at 1.20am here in Ireland and I had an early start Monday, so I only caught the condensed 50 minute version on GamePass the following day. You miss this kind of detail when that happens.

Many NFL teams have analysts employed to support the HC in the areas of clock management, challenges and other on-field matters. We can point to a lot of instances where suboptimal in-game decisions have been made over the years and assign blame, but the really frustrating thing is that it is very likely an easy fix.

Steelers are behind the curve in terms of using analytics and other modern day tools to improve performance, and their policy of promoting coaches from within does not foster innovation or change in my opinion. They have the lowest spend on coaching in the league I believe.

Nobody can be good at everything, the key to being a great manager in any walk of life be it in business or sport is recognising your shortcomings and surroundings yourself with people that can mitigate them for you. I’m not sure the Steelers and their HC are doing that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Your analysis is irrelevant since this is a issue of when the snap ball....not when to take a timeout. If it's an issue of when to snap the ball that's more on the QB then the HC. Theres absolutely nothing about analytics that helps in this situation. How?? This is simply about being smart as a QB. It's really not even about being smart, because it doesnt take a rocket science to know that clock is your friend in that situation. Why does the QB need to look over to the sideline to know when to snap the ball?? These guys arent puppets and your QB is supposed to be your on field general. I dont need direction from the HC to know how to use up the clock with a lead.

Hate to compare this to fantasy but it's best analogy I have. When I use to play Madden with a lead it never occurred to me once that I didnt have a coach in the room yet i was intelligent with a lead to run off as much clock as possible with a lead. No analytics, no coaching, just God given sense. So once again i have to ask. Wth does analytics have to do with running down a clock with a lead??

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah Ben needs to be smarter but there is a trend of this kind of this kind of sloppiness and poor decision making right across the team going back years, which is what I was referring to in a more general sense.

I know the difference between a challenge and a decision in relation to when to snap the ball, no need to be a d**k about it. Christ, some people!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll offer a quick suggestion. Ben didn't want to do that and let them tee off on the snap based off the clock. They know what he normally does and the game situation and they still needed some yards.

So, they snap at an odd count to keep them off-balance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Boi I just tried to make sense of why you felt the need to bring up something totally irrelevant to the initial post. Maybe you thought you was on to something, but you werent...and if you're talking about analytics being an issue it's not just across the team, its across the league. I guarantee you if you look at others team's fan forums you would find similar complaints. I looked up stats of coaches challenges for example...you might be surprised that Tomlin is not the worse. There's a few coaches that have him beat.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...oQFnoECAYQAg&usg=AOvVaw1buUxXpUCkyGw5Xn527-_5

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The best prepared teams don’t make these elementary mistakes very often, if ever. Maybe the ones that do should start playing more Madden?

It comes down to coaching, analysis, preparedness, attention to detail and just being aware in situational football. It’s all related.

That other teams often have the same failings is not a reason not to try to improve decision making.

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Oh I get that...but the problem still remains that we're dealing with a 17 yr veteran making a rookie mistake in my opinion. Theres not much a coach can do about a low IQ player...if there's not a better option (i.e. Vontae Burfict).

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree on that @SteelReal

23. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    That makes sense. Best response I've seen up to this point, but unless they know exactly what we're running I'm not sure if it helps that much and still keeps them in the game if we're not successful with the play we're running, or if the clock is stopped. Maybe play games and go with a hard count instead (trying to draw them offsides), but run the clock down. I feel like we hold more cards if we just run the clock down and hope for the best in execution. It probably wouldnt make a difference if this was a juggernaut offense and could run whatever knowing a defence couldnt stop it...but even then you dont wanna get too cocky.

24. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    SteelerFanIrl said
    " but there is a trend of this kind of this kind of sloppiness and poor decision making right across the team going back years, which is what I was referring to in a more general sense."

---Exactly!

Incidentally, the Hawks did not have to burn a TO until 1.35 thanks to this little?? oversight/miscalculation.

3-15-SEA 46 (1:48) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to N.Harris to SEA 34 for 12 yards (D.Reed, J.Adams).
    Timeout #1 by SEA at 01:35.

they were donated a minimum of at least 18 sec plus at least 1 TO.

they should never have made it to mid field let alone kick a 43yd fg and then even have a chance to win the game.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If falcons were running the ball and playing prevent they still win. Seriously, that was awful

• Agree Agree x 3