1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good day in the standings for the Steelers…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You just had to jinx it earlier, didn't you? :)

Seriously, their defense fell apart and the offense kept relying on a kicker who hurt himself in pregame warmups. The block probably wasn't his fault, though maybe it was a low kick, but the missed extra point is inexcusable and there was no reason to be confident on that attempt at the end of regulation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those wins still count and Jackson makes them a threat pretty much every game.

That said, it certainly helped that the Colts were so beaten up that they were playing with practice squad guys in the secondary by the end of that game. Throw in the pre-game injury to the kicker, who missed an extra point and a field goal in the fourth quarter, and you've got the third consecutive victory aided by a great deal of luck for the Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Duck also beat Kyler Murray and the Cards in Arizona. Maybe the Steelers should sign him to play QB in only games when they travel out west.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Going for 2 when it was 22-3 was stupid as well instead of kicking the extra point to make it 23-3. There is a huge difference believe it or not being up 20 points as opposed to 19. It let the Ravens always be within 2 scores and two TD’s and two Two point conversion attempts as opposed to 3 scores and 3 Touchdowns that entire 4th quarter. Frank Reich is not a good coach he is too soft and has no killer instinct in him and Carson Wentz even though he was very good last night is still another loser and he seemed too content and satisfied with losing that game last night afterwards. Like look a little bit mad and show some emotion dude and he did neither.

The Colts got exactly what they deserved last night. They played stupid, scared and not to lose and that’s exactly what happened. That’s just a crushing loss for the Colts and I don’t see how they bounce back from it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Colts game was all about the injured kicker missing two late kicks. The Lions game came down to an obvious uncalled delay of game penalty, that would have pushed Tucker's FG attempt back to 71 yards.

Or course they count, like our 11 wins counted last year, but I always found the "you are what your record says you are" trope to be nothing but results bias. Process matters - this mode of winning isn't anymore sustainable than it was for the Steelers last year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I agree with the sustainability part. Good teams don't win close games. Good teams don't have them. They blow the other teams out. Having said that what this does provide is a cushion to get their game together. They're winning on luck and it then becomes a question of whether they capitalize on that luck or not before it runs out.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I remember that game. Based on the amount of Steelers fans at that game, I can confidently say that game was a Steelers home game.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, I think we've done just as bad. Maybe not losing a lead but getting blown out in the 1st qtr of a playoff game seems just as bad. I was just surprised the Colts were in it like they were. I'll chalk this up to the Rats making necessary adjustments vs the Colts.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    How you feel about where ranks now far as qbs in the afc?

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ravens best team in afc cause they have the current best player in the afc.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I suspect if they had a healthy kicker, the wouldn’t have gone for 2.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Justin Herbert may have something to say about that. Do not count out Josh Allen either. For that matter, for my money, Buffalo is not just the most complete team in the conference but perhaps the entire NFL. Arizona has a claim but I do not believe the Cardinals defense matches up in comparison.

Baltimore has more problems than they are letting onto. Last night proves that. If Randy Blankership could actually make that field goal, the AFC North is looking a lot different right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They have some injuries and will soon be healthy. It's right now pretty much lamar carrying them. I like Herbert but the discrepancy between him and lamar as passers is far smaller than him and lamar as runners. Lamar is now proven to be a very capable enough passer to win and he's far away a better runner than anyone at the position. His impact currently is second to none except Kyler but he's not as explosive. I'm rolling with the Ravens and lamar figuring out a way to get it done this yr. With him throwing it like he is now they are the most unstoppable force in the league. You pretty pretty have to pick your poision.

14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    What silly analysis in the ultimate team game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They're 9th in scoring. Apparently there are 8 forces less stoppable.

And that 9th ranking comes against defenses ranked 17th, 32nd, 25th, 2nd, and 23rd in scoring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ah, opinions. We all know what they're like. I'd have to give the nod to Buffalo. Did you not see the Ravens defense?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Andrews is good but, the BEST??

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Exactly this... If I recall correctly, last few seasons we made SB runs had bumpy starts or feelings of hopelessness. Weren't we 8th seed because of an unprobable tie breaker situation the year we won it all over Seahawks?

Hell the legendary PimplyDan story would have never happened if we weren't at a point where it felt like we must "win some games and lose no any more games" or however his Greatness put it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same

20. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That was a huge swing game within the division last night. Big difference of having 3 teams at 3-2 and the Steelers at 2-3 instead of one team at 4-1 and ahead of all the other teams by 1 and 2 games.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ravens looked very beatable.

I have long accepted that my initial hope Lamar would be a one season wonder was wrong. However, I still don’t think he’s an amazing passer of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    How?

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not looking at just numbers. Kansas city still is putting up great numbers but they've been figured out. The Ravens with lamar throwing like this are indefensible. You have to maintain certain contain repsonbilities due to his running ability. You can't just stack the box and force him to throw it now because he can. So what do you do to stop them?

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Buffalo not impressive. The chiefs win was nice but they are just in shambles rn. They have no other good wins besides that.

25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    All of this makes for an interesting season. Anybody can be beaten on any given Sunday. Gotta love it!

• Like Like x 1