1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

bad decision

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    defense getting shredded, you need two scores,why punt? why did you draft Harris in the first round if you cant get a half yard. fuk it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea didn’t like that decision at all. The way the defense was playing and already being down a timeout I would have rolled the dice there and went for it with 8 minutes left.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The bad decision was game planning to take Waller out of the game and leaving everyone else singled up without a true press corner or man corner on the team. It probably would have played out differently had they let Carr force the ball to Waller in the middle where Minkah can go after deflections.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, very bad call.

Suggests a problematic lack of confidence with the o-line.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Go deep or go home mentality isn't going to cut it mr.ben. These 50-50 balls to claypool isn't an offensive scheme. 2 downs to get 4 yards one deep and one wasted. Why do they let him do this instead of keeping the drive alive? Way too much of it and Ben making his defense get right back on the field all day long. Especially a defense that is hurting player wise. I don't blame this defense. Ben wore them out today. We also need some smarter players. No discipline at all.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd rather them line up in Jumbo and not get it than conceed defeat like that. The defense was already gassed anyway. Whether you give the Raiders the ball back at your own 40 or somewhere else, did it really matter?

Speaking of, I can't even remember the last time this team went out in a Jumbo set. It's been a couple of years, now, hasn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I don't agree with going for it there. The Steelers had shown nothing to give me confidence they could pick up a 3rd and 1/2. You don't make it and game's over right there because they would already be in FG range.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Even though it is tough sledding, I think we need to feed Najee. He needs 20-25 attempts a game.

Otherwise Ben is going to get KO'd eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Genie Lee

Genie Lee New Member

Sep 19, 2021
    It's sad that Tomlin didn't trust his players enough to make a play that was less than a yard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It was at that moment I knew we lost. Up until then, I thought with a break or 2 we could win.

That was raising a surrender flag. Shameful.

At least the Raiders are a decent team. We didn't lose to bums. Other than that, not much positive to take from this game.

Oh well. It's one game. It's early. Yada Yada Yada

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why is Ben completely worthless in these situations?

I remember Ben running these sneaks all the damn time. Even old man Brady is still doing it. Is it because of Green?

12. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Coach was a coward and d quit after that lame decision. He was afraid to lose by 18 instead of 9

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They will also need to override Ben's thinking on personnel groupings. It seems counter intuitive that spreading out on offense is hurting the running game as well as the passing game but it is. Jam the 5 guys in routes and rushing one more than the OL can handle doesn't give Ben time to work progressions and go deep if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Exactly !! Most of the leagues is still running QB sneaks and with a high success rate. Not the Steelers though. Laughable

15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At least try to get them to jump.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin made the correct decision to punt the ball. Every coach in the league would had made the same decision. You don't simply hand the opposition potential points with that much time left. Any thing can happen.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What is more damning is the fact that not only is Najee Harris your first round pick but you have returned Derek Watt as well. Speaking of Derek Watt, will he ever see the field in 2021?? I do not think he has one Offensive Snap to his credit yet. Not an ideal situation.

Never mind those two though and more so to the young Offensive Line. Give them the vote of confidence by going for it. Heck, even if the play does not work, at the very least, you gave your Offensive Lineman a shot to prove themselves. Not doing so is not really assisting either.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It is even more damning that Najee Harris with Derek Watt are made for situations like these.

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I didn't like the call to punt at the time and I still don't. Yes, conventional wisdom says you punt there and live to fight another day. But, that presupposes you aren't getting your a$$es handed to you because your defense is beat up and gassed. I think it was bad situational football.

Worse than that, this offense gets bullied on first and second down by everyone. How many times are they left facing third and long because they can't gain any ground on first or second? And, it's not just the reworked offensive line, because they had the same trouble the last two years. The big difference this year is that Ben is taking a beating and that is on the reworked line.

What I don't know is how much of this is Ben being permitted to do what he wants within the confines of Canada's offense. What I also don't understand is the outright refusal to try and use the FB they have sitting on the bench making $3+ million to be a ST's ace. Would he help? Well, who the hell knows since they probably have only deployed him as a position player 5% of the time he's been here.

What I'm trying to point out is that as bad as the offense has been for the last 9 or so games, I'm not completely convinced that coaching is doing everything possible to make the most out of what they have. They don't have to score every possession. But they sure as hell would get some love from the defense if they could cobble together two, three first downs every time they have the ball.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ratbirds went for it with the game on the line last night. They had faith that they could get 1 yard and got it. Not every coach would do what Tomlin did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Far from every coach. I bet half or more of the coaches in the league would have gone for it. The defence had just given up a long TD drive. They were hurt and tired. Plus that means the offense needs to make 2 drives after punting the ball away. As we know, our offence is just not capable of that. We pretty much needed to treat that drive as 4 down territory just to give our offence more of a chance to do something for once

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Does Derek Watt even see the field other than for STs? We're paying him like $4 mm a year....which is a lot for a STer.

23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hated the call. Still do.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The circumstances were different for the Ravens and the Chiefs vs the Steelers vs the Raiders. Understand?

Teams are not built the same way. Every team has different players, different strengths and weaknesses, ect.

I think 99% of the coaches punt on 4th and 1 with 8+ minutes remaining considering field position.

You don't simply give the opposition an opportunity to gain points in tight game.

What do you think is easiest to achieve. Come back from 10 points, 13 points, or 17 points?

I'd bet 10 grand that it's easier to over come a 10 point deficit than a 13 or 17 point deficit. Simply because it's easier to get a FG and TD with limited time remaining than it is to score two TDs.

But here we are debating the decision when the reality, %s, and simple common sense state otherwise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hold them to a FG and it's still a 2-possession game.