1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do the Steelers rank in the AFCN?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 10, 2021.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Saying what? That the Browns were the team to beat last year? I highly doubt it because I don't remember thinking it. But if you can find a post of mine saying that, then I'll own it. Doubt such a post exists though. I don't really remember much about my division predictions from last year, but I very highly doubt I picked the Browns.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Did you have the Steelers sweeping the AFCN? I did, they didn't make it...:facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Lamar Jackson will be out of the league in a few years and I stand by that. He’s very athletic, yes. He’s a absolutely horrible at seeing passing plays develop and even worse at standing there and letting them develop.

He is a super athlete I will not deny that. But he also turns the ball over way too much and the hits will add up. There’s a reason running backs don’t last that long and he’s not even a true running back.

Ravens are third best team in the division with Jackson and all the injuries.

Steelers looking like a strong second at the moment; however, I hold that though until they actually play the Browns.

Cincy is still Cincy. Burrows will be good (better than Jackson) but he has like zero help at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    We would be a Super Bowl Contender. You must have missed that word. We aren't currently one unless our offense shows a lot more than it did Sunday (and last year).

5. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Jackson will be in trouble if he loses his athleticism. However, he is a seriously dangerous player unless or until that happens, even with his passing limitations. It is not like he never makes nice throws. Even the other night he had several.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If We are a SB contenders with Lamar, then We are definitely SB contenders without Lamar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Not unless Ben has a lot more to give than he showed most of last year and so far this year. We aren't winning anything significant with an anemic offense. Hopefully the couple nice throws he had on the final FG drive are a sign that he was shaking off the rust and we will move forward with that as our baseline. Because if we keep getting from the passing game what we got in the first half against the Bills then we will not have a successful year.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This from a Guy that praises L. Jackson who only threw for over 3000 yards ...barely...once in his career. I would guess from things You say...you are fairly young ...in Your 30s(this is not a shot at You...I promise) , or Just really got into football about 20 years ago.

9. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I seriously wonder what people think they are seeing with Jackson. Sure he is limited throwing the ball but he still does it highly effectively. He has a career TD% of 7.1% and INT% of 1.8%. Both are phenomenal. He averages 7.5 YPA (pretty close to his attempted air yards per attempt of 8.1). That's a fine if not great number in today's NFL. He fumbles too much but he also makes a ton of plays with his legs. I have no idea how people can think he is bad or would not be a significant boost to our offense which can neither throw nor run well. I mean, I get that aesthetically he leaves a ton to be desired when throwing. I didn't think he would ever be much in the NFL as I didn't trust his arm or accuracy. I think he looks terrible a lot of times when he throws. However, it really doesn't matter how pretty it looks because it is very effective. Yes, if he loses his ability to run without improving on his ability to pass then he will be out of the league but so far he still has that ability and he makes great use of it. Like it or not he is currently a very effective QB. Obviously he also has serious limitations but anyone who thinks that is not true about our current QB is living in a fantasyland.

10. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Jackson won a freaking league MVP already and makes the playoffs every year. Apparently he does so while sucking out loud. Kind of incredible really. I also notice you don't mention that he has almost 3,000 rushing yards and a healthy 6.1 YPC. That does have something to do with his performance as a QB and for damn sure helps them win all the games they win with him as the QB.

11. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I didn't even mention his 102.5 career PASSER rating. Certainly not the best measure of a QB but also not completely divorced from performance. But yeah, Jackson is terrible and lucked into a league MVP and a 30-7 record in his first 3 years. Wish we could get some of that luck.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yet our Qb has Made the playoffs how many times....yet He is not good enough. Do You know how many Qbs have a MVP title and have never won a thing??? He will not be the 1st , nor the last 2 do so. Anyone can have a magical year, ask Cam(MVP, only 3 winning seasons...no SB win), Matt Ryan (MVP , no SB win , one magical year)....
    Yes when You are the only Qb in the league running a system....You will catch Defenses unaware, and practically not built for it. That's why I said you are pretty young . We've seen this before...., but once a few teams start doing it , and Defenses have 2 prepare for it, and draft for it.....every year it gets less , and less affective. Until everyone goes back again 2 what is , has already , and always been affective. A Qb that can 1st and foremost Play from the pocket. Everything else is Icing on the cake.

I can name You 5 Qb right off the top of my Head that 2 older Football Watchers have heard.....will change the game.....only 2 not win a dang thing ...an dissapeared .

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We went 12 -4 last year. Yet it was not good enough because we lost in the playoffs. Yet it's great for other teams ....that also lost in the playoffs :shrug:
    This is stuff I really don't get. Praising Teams for the same things their teams do , they down play. LoL

14. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I am not predicting what Lamar will be in the future. As I said very clearly, he will be in trouble if he loses his athleticism and does not improve his passing. But he actually has the athleticism and it makes him special RIGHT NOW. Like it or not, he is a very effective QB, warts and all, unless or until he loses the athleticism. It obviously will happen at some point but until then he is a dangerous QB, as evidenced by the success the Ravens have had with him as the QB. Idk, I don't even particularly like him. I'd take Burrow over him if I could take any of the AFC North QBs. I said before I thought he'd bust out in the NFL because of his ugly ass throwing and what I thought was serious accuracy issues in college (I actually watchin him a bit in college). But I am capable of ignoring how pretty or appealing things seem to me and looking at the results. The results show that to this point Lamar Jackson has been a highly effective QB who wins games. That could certainly change if he blows out his wheels.

• Like Like x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. Truce. I'm tired of debating. LoL.

16. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Did I praise the Ravens for their performance last year? I must have missed that.

17. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Ok, I guess. I just really don't get how everyone can run Lamar Jackson down constantly when he clearly has been a winner and very effective. Again, I am not even some huge believer in him. I simply accept that the results are there and as long as they are I don't see how anyone can deny them.

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Ask Trent Dilfer:)

• Like Like x 1