1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where does are WRs rank as a unit compared to the other 32 teams?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Sep 13, 2021.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I think they are a Top 10 unit. Claypool is a #1 deep threat, DJ is probably Ben’s favorite quick hitter and Juju is always there for tough yards and timely first downs. Washington may be one of the best non starting receivers off the bench in the league.

If DJ can limit the drops and Claypool continues to make circus catches, be physical and draw PI calls on 50/50 balls I like our chances. FB and TE can only add to this success.

what do others think?

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They are certainly top half of the league, maybe top 10 but I think probably not

Bucs
    Chiefs
    Titans
    Bills
    Dallas
    Vikings (top 2 are awesome, not much else)
    Bengals
    Steelers
    Browns (with OBJ)
    Broncos
    Rams (again it’s just 2 guys)
    Seahawks
    Giants
    Packers

all excellent, some are propped up by 1-2 outstanding players rather than being a great group

What the Steelers do have is great depth but don’t have a really top end receiver. Diontae and Claypool have huge potential but neither have had that breakout season yet. I think juju is a top 5 slot receiver as well

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Top 3 at worst. James Washington off the bench is a luxury most teams do not have in addition to a gadget guy in McCloud.

I would put the Buccaneers at one or two right with us. They have a better top end with Evans, AB and Godwin, plus Scotty Miller is no slouch.
    After that the Cowboys. Lamb, Cooper and Gallup is a tough trio to beat.
    Titans with Brown and Quintorris Lopez Jones. I have no clue who their #3 is but Jones is unquestionably elite.
    Seahawks with Metcalf and the super underrated Lockett. Like the Titans it does not matter that I do not know who their #3 is, those two are just that good.
    Cardinals, not much need be said. Quality receivers supplementing the elite Hopkins.
    The Bills should be very good as well. Diggs is elite, Sanders is a crafty vet and Beasley is the prototype slot.

I would say Buccaneers 1 with us right behind them with the edge going to Evans being a more established and consistent receiver than any of ours (1,000 yard seasons every year).
    After that it gets kind of nebulous with the Cowboys and Cardinals and Seahawks of the world. But I would not trade their receivers for ours, especially since we have 4 viable ones.

The thing that makes the Steelers wide outs so good is that they can all hurt the opposing team and put up solid production. Last year, the Steelers were the only team to have at least 4 players catch 5 touchdowns, and they had 5 of them (Ebron as the fifth). Obviously that means no other receiving corps. matched what ours did.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They are a very good unit, and they are young. Their arrow is
    pointing UP.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Somewhat agree with @SteelersFanIrl.

Top 15?! Without a doubt. Top 10?! Eighth at best for me. No higher than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowboys, Bucs and Steelers have the best WR corps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably best group but as far as top receiver on a team, plenty ahead of them but I think DJ and Claypool can join that group. DJ either led the league in receptions or among the tops in receptions last year but didn’t do much with them, didn’t even crack 1,000 yards. He needs more YAC to enter the upper echelon. Claypool has all the gifts to be one of the best receivers in the league. See what kind of leap he makes this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree, and you have to be able to imagine; would Steelers Wideouts produce better with Mahomes, and would Bucs wide outs do worse with Big Ben? I think these Steeler wide outs are outstanding. Hopefully Big Ben can get the arm loosened and unleash some accurate deep throws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I have our unit pretty high simply because I think VERY highly of Johnson. TBH tho, we have 3 really good WR's and zero studs atm. Johnson and Claypool can become studs tho. JuJu is a great 2-3 weapon from the slot.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think we are being very generous to the Steelers here and very much underrating other groups in the league

Look at the Bengals for example, Higgins, Boyd & Chase, that’s a really good group with massive upside

Broncos, Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler and Patrick, then Fant at TE. That’s a group that is at least as good as the Steelers IMO

Even the Jags have Chark, Shenault and Jones, an excellent trio

We have a very good #4 in Washington, but I’m not sure the starting group is top 10 let alone top 5

I definitely do agree with whoever said that the QB play may be limiting the group somewhat, especially Claypool. He looks like he could be a total nightmare for defences if he could get the targets down the field

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Top 10 is questionable. It kind of depends on how you look at it.
    Ben is definitely holding the group back. He's not a gunslinger anymore so our WR's aren't going to put up big numbers. Our Oline is also holding things back.
    We don't have a single stud on our team. I don't care that Claypool may one day get there. Lots of young WR's are there now, he's not. DJ is far from being a stud. It's been 1 game, he needs to show he can get the job done consistently.
    Juju is a solid WR, but not a stud. Washington as the #4 is absolutely solid. Lots of teams wish they have a #4 guy like that.

A lot of teams have 1 or even 2 studs (TB has 3 for god sakes, plus Miller and Gronk, crazy). We don't have that guy that can take over a game when needed. So for that reason, I would say definitely top 15 and maybe top 10 if I started breaking down rosters. The potential is there, but that's all it is right now. We also may have to wait until post-Ben to see how high those guys can soar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If they could treat Claypool as the #1 Johnson as the Possession WR, and JuJu as the slot.

Plus Washington is no turd, he can play.

It be one of the best in the NFL. But everyone has to accept their role. I think the problem is everybody just wants to be the #1.

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bucs
    Chiefs
    Cowboys
    Titans
    Vikings
    Cardinals
    Bills
    Rams
    Seahawks
    Browns
    Chargers
    Packers

Just off the top of my head

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bucs then Steelers. Maybe I'm biased. Claypool deep. DJ deep and all over. Juju and Washington over the middle. Problem is Ben's arm is shot. They don't even look downfield and when he does Claypool has to make a crazy catch.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They probably rank higher in grammar than some people I'd imagine. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Probably top 5 to 10. Steelers have a deep receiving corps that lacks that dominant #1 receiver. That may not be a bad thing, as the Steelers wide receivers can absorb an injury hit better than a team with a big gun #1 guy and not so much behind him. And injuries always come, it is a long punishing season.

17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Chiefs, Bills too high. Who do they have besides Tyreek and Diggs? Titans? Julio is washed.

Bucs, Steelers, Bengals, Browns, Dallas top five in whatever order. Maybe Broncos, but Jeudy needs to show more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought JJ was out for the Broncos???

19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    While he's a Tight end. Kelce had more yards and catches than anyone on Pittsburgh last year. He's so lethal you can kinda consider him a receiver. I'd take the combo of Diggs, Beasley, and sanders over the 3 in Pittsburgh. I'd take Julio still right now over anyone on Pitt except maybe Claypool but I'm still not sure of his route running.

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The ceiling of our WR corp is highly dependent on how much time the OL gives Ben to throw

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They are good, but they seem to struggle to be open. Good at combat catches, but too rarely are they in a hole in the zone or clearly beat their man. Or a bubble screen behind the LOS with blockers. Been that way for a while, now. I wonder if that is why Ben seems to struggle - they aren't getting good, clear separation, and passes need to be right on target. Not sure if it is scheme or what. I long for the days when Hines and Heath could be counted on to find the opening in the coverage.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    In the top 8 for the group, with no no.1 receiver

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Top 10
    Not many teams have 4 good receivers like the Steelers do