1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers release DeCastro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Jun 24, 2021.

1. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Why??? What’s going on??

Cajun

3. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    The Steelers announced on Thursday afternoon that they have released guard David DeCastro.

"David was without a doubt one of the premier offensive linemen during his time with us," said General Manager and Vice President Kevin Colbert said in a statement. "He helped us win a lot of football games, but it was David's consistency, reliability and professionalism that stood out more than anything else. We wish him the best moving forward in his career."

A staple on the team's offensive line for nearly a decade, DeCastro was selected by the Steelers in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the 24th pick overall, out of Stanford. Over the course of his Steelers career, DeCastro was one of the most stable forces on a line that was consistently considered among the best in the NFL. He and the offensive line helped to provide a security blanket for Ben Roethlisberger, who threw for over 4,000 yards four times during DeCastro's nine seasons. Over the course of his Steelers career, the offense also featured a 1,000 yard rusher three times. Pittsburgh was also the least sacked team in 2020 and the least sacked team overall since 2014. In fact, the Steelers were the second least-sacked team in the NFL since DeCastro entered the League in 2012.

During his nine-year Steelers' career, he played in 125 games, starting all but one of them. His 124 career starts rank 11th all-time among Steelers offensive lineman and sixth among guards.

He was voted AP first-team All-Pro twice (2015, 2017), and second-team All-Pro once (2016).

He was also voted to six straight Pro Bowls (2015-2020), including last season despite missing playing time. The only Steelers' offensive linemen voted to more Pro Bowls in their careers were Mike Webster (9), Maurkice Pouncey (9), Dermontti Dawson (7) and Alan Faneca (7), three of whom are Pro Football Hall of Famers.

He was voted the recipient of "The Chief" Award by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America in 2017, honoring a player who displayed the cooperation with the media that Art Rooney Sr. embodied.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Man. Thanks for the time in Pittsburgh DeCastro. Going to take a few moments to conjure up my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He’s continually dealing with injuries and they need the cap room, that’s why. This saves $8.75m

Hate to see him go out like that. Very best of luck to him, whether he retires or decides to go to another team. What a fantastic player he has been for the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't see that coming. I wonder if Matt Canada didn't like what he was seeing. I thought DeCastro had several years left still

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I can't say I'm totally shocked by this. Something really seemed a miss. Especially with him not participating in mini-camp. Last year he was hurt, but also didn't seem with it, in a contract year this year.

But, but a thin line even liner, Steelers have to be making a move for sure.

But, when healthy and on it, DeCastro was one of the best guards in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    After the Steelers checked out Trai Turner, I started to get suspicious.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I don’t think this is a massive surprise to anyone, probably not even to Dave himself. Its just tough to see one of your favourite players finish up on your team this way.

My guess is that they decided to wait and see how he was after than ankle surgery, and when he had to sit out minicamp they decided that they couldn’t bet the season on his health.

They could very likely have a new starter at every single spot on the OLine this season now, which is just insane.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Unreal!

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Unless the team can obtain Trai Turner, I have not the foggiest as to who will line up with Dotson on the team. Going to be an interesting development the next couple of hours. Either way, I will miss Mr. DeCastro... definitely one of the best Offensive Guards during his prime and in the 2010s.

I wish him all the best!! :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I suspect he just was just cleared physically.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Dotson LG, Finney C, Greene RG ??

I do expect them to bring in a veteran to compete for a spot though

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    BJ Finney can also play guard as well, he played a lot of spot starts when Ramon Foster went down hurt a few seasons back and performed quite well.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind though that, as you said, that was a couple of years ago. Who knows how well Finney looks now?! For that matter, given the fact that Canada's Offense will be vastly different that Fichtners in terms of blocking schematics, will Finney be a good fit?! Hard to say for sure.

That said, at least with Finney, should the team fail to land Trai Turner, have a somewhat known option.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Pittsburgh has been in talks with Trai Turner. Hopefully he can be added onto as he also has been a former Pro Bowl Guard. Even if it is a one to two year rental deal, that at least gives the team a stop gap option. Guess 2022's early Draft Projection will have to be at Guard. Keep in mind I did say early but not the first pick as I still believe QB is the premier runaway at this point in time.

19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    This offensive line on paper has to be the worst in the league no?

The best guy going in is probably Dotson and he is a second year guy who only played maybe half of one NFL season.

Wow

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Might have to revise my record prediction now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Hard to say I'm sure there's worse.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see a post merger coming

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    If anything, should Turner not make it, Green likely is the incumbent starting Center by default as I do not forsee JC beating him out even before the Second Pre Season game.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Up or down?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Well we were the worst run blocking group and lost Decastro Pouncy and Villanueva this year. Not that any 3 of those guys were particularly strong last year especially in run blocking but I think all 3 were fairly solid in pass blocking. Ben might not make 3 games behind this group

• Agree Agree x 2