1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

10 Players That Impressed At OTAs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That doesn’t change the fact that he beat out Hodges. He was on the team when the season started, then they traded him to the Jags and then Hodges made the team. Then they again jettisoned Hodges for Dobbs.

They clearly do not like Hodges better than Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dobbs- Limited PS availability left and likelihood of being snatched off the squad with no compensation for the Steelers so they trade him for a 5th round pick.

Duck-strange cult status with Steelers fans similar to other camp heroes over the years. Being cut doesn't hurt him as no one was calling when it happened and signing him to PS is a zero risk proposal since no one was snaking him from there.

End result was not choosing Duck over Dobbs but rather getting compensation for a draft pick that had been developed vs a zero risk/reward UDFA.

2021 season: Dobbs veteran player who knows the team, smart and talented no brainer to have on the team given Ben and Mason's injury history.

Haskins is essentially a higher ceiling Duck where there is zero risk/reward for Tomlin to scratch that itch. Absolutely zero thought by the staff given to having a guy to push him on the roster. Probably less than zero if possible.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Have you seen the strip clubs in Latrobe?

I think we are safe in this one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Everyone was raving about Ballage

I really thought him coming aboard would be Training Camp Fodder at best.

But who knows maybe he beats out McFarland. I have to think this is the end of Samuels as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They also clearly don't think there is a big difference between the two, which tells you they really don't think Dobbs is a long-term answer as anything more than a backup.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have been hopeful about Gilbert since he was drafted, but it is hard to count on him at this point. He just can't stay healthy.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How would you know let alone “clearly”? Fact is, they chose Dobbs over Hodges twice which was the whole point. Not how much more they like him than Hodges which you wouldn't have any clue about anyway.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can use the power of inference. They traded Dobbs for a low pick because they knew they could promote Hodges into his place. That made it clear that they didn't see some huge difference between the two. If they really believed Dobbs had long-term potential to be a starter, there is no way they make that trade.

To be fair, I should have used didn't instead of don't. I think it is fair to say their opinion of Hodge diminished over the course of the 2019 season. That said, the fact that they chose Dobbs over him twice really doesn't do anything to counter my point. Just because they made the same choice twice doesn't mean the margin isn't slim.

Some people on this site really need to get over their fantasies about Joshua Dobbs. He wasn't that good in college. He was lightly regarded going into the draft. The Steelers unloaded him for a low draft pick, then a terrible Jacksonville team dumped him so they could go with a rookie as their second-string quarterback last year. We all got to see Jake Luton against the Steelers last season, remember? Do you really want a guy who couldn't beat him out as your quarterback?

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

There’s no fantasy, Scribe, you get triggered when anyone even implies something positive about Dobbs and Edmunds for that matter.

You’re interjecting your bs into a conversation that didn’t involve you are have anything to do with your point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I speak the truth when people write positive things about Dobbs and Edmunds. That seems to trigger you and others.

I do not understand why anybody thinks highly of Dobbs. He saw extended playing time in a regular-season game exactly once and he played poorly. The Steelers dumped him for a low draft pick with the idea of replacing him with Hodges. This was a team that considered itself a contender, so it is clear they didn't see a big drop from Dobbs to Duck. He was so bad with the Jaguars that they never used him in 2019, then cut him when Luton beat him out for the No. 2 job last season. This is the same Luton who was completely overwhelmed when we all saw him last season. Hell, he even made Edmunds look good! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not the one carrying on about something that has nothing to do with the topic :shrug:

Maddog stated that Hodges beat out Dobbs, I corrected the record. Can you admit that much?

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Scroll up. Two posts ago, I wrote that they chose Dobbs over Hodges twice.

That the Steelers saw so little difference between the two that they were willing to trade Dobbs while moving Hodges into his spot in 2019, however, is absolutely relevant to the topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven’t really been reading your replies fully to be honest. You have this thing where you try to force debates on topics we’ve discussed a thousand times, not interested.

They chose Dobbs, they clearly liked him better. How much is just you speculating and being triggered by something positive being said about Dobbs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Accurately reporting what happened in 2019 is not being "triggered". In fact, if anyone is acting triggered in this thread, it's you.

Dobbs is Haskins' riding crop this summer, nothing more.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They traded Dobbs. They clearly don't think he has a future as anything but a backup. In 2019, they clearly didn't think there was much difference between him and Hodges. The rest is you being triggered because I dared criticize the guy.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A lot of back and forth about Dobbs, Hodges, and Haskins, none of whom are starting QBs in this league and with QB3 ceilings. I'd hate to see if it were between real contenders. On to Buffalo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys have the same grade school comebacks.

Maddog, you misstated twice that Hodges beat out Dobbs, pointing out you were wrong is not being triggered. I see you go to the school of Scribe and apply arguments to me that I am not making.

Scribe, you’re talking to me like I made those points you are arguing about, all came from you. The floor in your logic is they could fetch a 6th rd pick for Dobbs, he had value, thats why he was traded. Then they brought him back over Hodges again, they obviously like him better.

Scribe and Maddog when something positive is said about Dobbs:

upload_2021-6-15_11-40-2.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would appreciate it if you would stop projecting your own approach onto me. You seem quite upset when someone posts something negative about Dobbs. That must be difficult given that he isn't very good and the Steelers really don't seem to think much of him.

You asked me to admit that Dobbs beat out Hodges two posts after I did exactly that, then you blamed me for your error. At least I pay you the courtesy of reading your posts before responding to them.

Also, the Steelers didn't trade Dobbs for a sixth-round pick. They got a fifth-rounder for him. That said, teams don't trade away quarterbacks for picks that low if they believe the guy has a future as anything more than a clipboard holder.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Stop being triggered and I will. It’s all there for everyone to see Scribe, stop applying arguments to me I didn’t make. Everyone knows you have a bug up your ass about Dobbs and Edmunds. You did this with me about Edmunds too when I posted an article about him without comment and came after me like I wrote it. Don’t want me to call you triggered, stop acting like it.

And yeah, 5th rd pick, that makes your argument even worse. Think Hodges would fetch a 5th rd pick? Good grief.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The only person who is triggered here is you. That is why you keep making errors. You implied that I wouldn't admit that they chose Dobbs over Hodges when I had written exactly that two posts earlier. You also got the round of the draft pick they got for Dobbs wrong. You are so upset that somebody might dare criticize Dobbs that you aren't even bothering to read or understand what I'm posting.

I never wrote or implied that Hodges was better or equal to Dobbs. Hodges was a fun story for a while, but he proved that he isn't even an NFL quarterback. My point was that the Steelers clearly didn't see replacing Dobbs with him as much of a loss. Sorry, but teams don't trade a quarterback that they think has a real future for a fifth-round draft choice. My argument holds up just fine.

You keep relying on what everybody knows and personal digs at me to cover up for inaccuracies in your posts. I have been nothing but reasonable and accurate in this discussion. I'm not sure you can claim either.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know you are but what am I, LOL omg, good one. That really bothers you doesn’t it.

Here Scribe, here’s how triggered I am about Dobbs. My first response on this topic in a different thread.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My apologies if the truth troubles you so. The difference is that I can present evidence to support my claim. People who are triggered, as you are, tend to make mistakes. I presented two of yours.

Given your last post, I do not know why criticism of the guy troubles you so. Maybe you haven't forsaken him completely after all, just as some posters who finally admitted that Edmunds was a terrible draft choice suddenly started trying to prop him up again after his two-interception game against the Jaguars. Of course, they conveniently forget that those interceptions were thrown by the completely forgettable Jake Luton, the same guy who somehow beat out the great and powerful Joshua Dobbs for a spot on the Jaguars' roster last season.

See how nicely I brought that full circle? ;)

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    can we trade Haskins for a fifth round pick?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

• Like Like x 1