1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are going to do what Ben wants to do, and how Ben wants to do it.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 15, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Brooke Pryor
    @bepryor

Matt Canada on Ben Roethlisberger: "I think any football, it's 11 men doing their job. The quarterback is the focal point ... we're going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it." Says there are some changes in terminology and how plays are called.
    10:52 AM · Jun 15, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No big surprise. Look for about 75% pass to 25% run ratio.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hopefully this means "within the new offense".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    New offense???

New OC doesn't necessarily mean new offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    From what I've seen , and read...excluding this article. It seems there is a New ,or more Disguised Offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No surprise. In the shotgun, three step drop, ball out in 2.2 seconds. Complete to Harris for a 2 1/2 yard gain. Rinse, dry and repeat on second down. Third and five, chuck it up for grabs 30 yards downfield because he's afraid to get hit and can't avoid the rush anymore. Picked off or incomplete. Punt from their own 30 on third down if incomplete. First and ten from the 50 for the opposition offense if intercepted. Some of you wanted Ben. Well, you got him, and you got him doing what he wants to do because he's immobile. 9-8 is starting to look like a pipe dream. Butler better demand a lot of cardio training for the defense because they are going to lose TOP on offense consistently.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd be surprised if Harris cracks 800 yards this year. However, in 2022 he will probably lead the league in rushing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I think he gets close to 1000 but not over, given its a17 game season now. It's going to be hard to get a run game going on a consistent basis running shotgun draws. I hope they find a way to get the kid touches. He is going to be a special back if the Steelers use him right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Welp. Ben sucks

lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I'd be very surprised if Najee didn't average more than 47 yds/game. I think we're going to give him the ball more than 20 times a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everything I have read has said Ben is putting in the work and learning the new offense and terminology, even this article says that about the new language.

It won’t be exactly the same as what was run last year but i don’t think anyone was expecting a complete overhaul either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Instead of throwing it 60 times he will throw it 55 lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Better not be, Mr Art II wants a running game, and he is going to get it. The hell with #7

16. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It's a smokescreen. This is Canada's first attempt at misdirection! Hopefully the rest of the league takes this at face value and doesn't gameplan any differently than the second half of last year.

NOTICE TO NFL: THE STEELERS WILL BE RUNNING THE EXACT SAME GAMEPLAN, TERMINOLOGY, AND SCHEME AS LAST SEASON. PREPARE AGAINST US ACCORDINGLY. WE STILL HAVE NO RUNNING GAME AND WILL BE TRYING TO RELEASE THE BALL UNDER 2 SECONDS. DO NOT RUSH THE QB! JUMP STRAIGHT UP ON THE SNAP TO BLOCK THE PASS!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny because Ben was poking fun at people saying they are predictable when he said tongue in cheek about the new offense that nothing will be the same, you’ll see things never seen before, will be a whole new game plan, ect ect. Some people took him seriously, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’ll wait until the season starts before complaining but we had better see a significantly more innovative and unpredictable offence this year.

I refuse to believe that the Steelers brought him back without a robust discussion on how the offence needs to change, and how he needs to change what he is doing.

They used their first four picks on offence for what is surely his last year, and they brought Juju back when it is very questionable if that was the best use of $8m.

No excuses, if Ben can’t execute a better offence next season and he is back to changing plays in the huddle and doing whatever the hell he wants they should pull him and give Mason his chance.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Same. I believe Canada probably meant in the context of his new offense, that’s every OC that tailors a playbook to their QB’s strengths and what they like to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ll give Canada credit for this: he understands who the boss is. Of course, he was here last yr, and learned that if Ben didn’t want to run his cutesy-sh$t, he wouldn’t.

Canada might figure, indulge the star QB for a yr, part friends (assuming Ben “parts”), roll out the offense in ‘22 with a new dog who might really want to learn old tricks.

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I cant imagine a scenario where they yank Ben unless the bottom falls out, like an 0-5 start or something. Tomlin will give Ben the benefit of the doubt. This team is likely to be floating around .500 at worst when November rolls around. The Steeler mentality will be: we’re in the hunt, we can make the playoffs, we won’t quit on Lombardi #7 and Big Ben #7 gives us that chance. That means Ben starts, unless he’s hurt or they’re mathematically eliminated.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think Canada is smart enough to know that to coordinate a productive offense that gets results, he cant be in conflict w Ben, by throwing him a bone (in this article) he maintains command and control of the offense

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You mean you think Ben will give him the ball 20 times a game. I'm not so sure but it would be nice.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I would think an offense can run only one system in a year and not use plays as they were called last year and old terminology. However, I also think all systems have similar plays called but maybe blocked differently along with wr routes or whatever. So dink and dunk last year may now be the new wink and jink. I had concerns about a rookie OC in our situation. Hope it works out.