1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. Coachbuzz

Coachbuzz Member

Jan 14, 2018

I have been saying this on my blog Tank Tomlin for 5 years now. You can recite his accomplishments all you want but you need to compare him to other coaches who have the same talent pool fan base and resources. Tomlin without a doubt has had the strongest coaches and players on both sides of the ball. Look at the Steelers roster and talent pool every year. Tomlin has had the makings of a super bowl contender every year. However, he has come up short almost every year and won it through luck and adversity hitting other teams. Tomlin CANNOT get a clear system working and fails to get the best out his players year in and year out. A coaches goal is to put a system together and have the players buy into the system by building a culture of team and of winning. We all experienced this shocking downfall last year did we not. Tomlin bred a culture of loosing and the players bought into it.
    No doubt steeler nation would be a happier logic Tomlin was ranked 6-7 years ago

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Get some new material, clown, your act is tired :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Like who?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What you call an act is a legitimate argument.

Maybe you need some new material?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry.:shrug: I do always look 2 both sides of an argument.
    I see a lot of post that I agree with most of what someone is saying, and not all of it.
    Also ....I am a Dude that can say .....Sh!+...I was wrong, and New facts can , and will sway Me.
    I try not 2 be so hard headed, and unmovable in my opinions.
    Did 2 much of that in my younger years, and it amounted 2 nothing, and I mean nothing good.
    If we are talking children...well they would be well out of the house, and home by now....so it would be Grandchildren.

• Like Like x 4
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You Very Much.
    I wasn't always known as such.
    So I do try. Some times it's not so easy.
    In my younger more testosterone filled days...Well..I was considered...Hot Headed, Hardheaded argumentative, troublemaking, full of myself D!<khead. LoL.
    I try 2 learn from past mistakes.
    Like I'm sure most do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Boo hoo, sniff, sniff. Beeyotch

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Essentially we have a Ferrari of a franchise but the powers that be are perfectly fine having an ice cream truck driver at the wheel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Taking up for your BF now :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, lame ass use the same joke over and over :facepalm:.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah we're going out next weekend.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    FFS Glenn, GTFOH with your fake ass hall monitor badge. Against the rules... you know where you can stick that, right?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-6-12_21-38-35.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks: :popcorn:

I brought both.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Dude you might want to get that Facepalming checked. It's getting worse.

18. Kevin

Kevin Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Easily the most overrated coach inhistory. Making the playoffs and going home in week one is no different than not making it at all in my book. That crap might fly in Cleveland or Cincy. Maybe I’m confused on what standard is the standard. I assumed it was Lombardi’s . We all know why he gets the pass and why he gets an extension this year ...after we were told that he had to prove something to be brought back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he got a pass. Share with us all why you believe he got a pass? That way we can know your real agenda here.

The Standard set by the Steelers is winning and competing for the Superbowl. They won enough games last year to compete for the Superbowl. They fell short for several reasons.

Considering the Steelers only won 6 Superbowls (11%) out of 55 that's not really a realistic standard. Competing and winning is the more realistic standard. Winning is something the Steelers accomplished well over the years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Me too...I'm just not any good at it!

And I was just messing with ya. Hope it came across that way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The title of this thread is ridiculous.

It's not like Tomlin went 7-9 in his fourth season as HC and then was immediately hired by a team to replace Pete Carroll after 1 year. Not only gettting HC job but also GM. Now that's overrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So are you saying Belichick is overrated? He has two more rings than Noll... plus he earned 2 previously as DC for Giants. 8 total. Hardly overrated, IMHO.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Mostly agree with the exception of strongest coaches. We just got rid of a few who were terrible and had some other one's released before that (i.e. Joey Porter). I am one that believes the HC is the orchestrator of a team and not the one who is doing the actual coaching. Much like a principle in a school. One of the more important tasks that a HC owns is establishing the overall culture of his staff and players. He should be relying on his coordinators for X's and O's tactics, setting up players to succeed, etc. That, to me, is what has failed MT, especially in PO games where game preparation is so important. The coaches on his staff haven't done him any favors IMO. Hence, the MT coaching tree bearing little to no fruit. Leadership requires that there is accountability and lands on the one in charge who is responsible for everything a team does or fails to do. I just think he gets blamed for what others should be blamed for but he is the one in charge and it goes with the title.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    My biggest gripe about Tomlin is you NEVER hear him advertising on the NFL station on sirius. You hear the coach of the Browns, and a ton of others but no Tomlin! This is an area of his coaching that he must step up and fix immediately!

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    His players never quit on him, but they don't play hard enough as a team at times. He refuses to try and bond them as a team with discipline. He seems to feel they are all professionals, and as professionals the team bonding should be there. I think it's a fatal flaw with an otherwise good football coach.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021