1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

10 Players That Impressed At OTAs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Gilbert, Ballage and Pierre are the guys I think most likely to make some noise this year. And Harvin, I think the punters job is as good as his.

I mean Najee will be getting the lions share, I’m not expecting a committee but I could see Ballage bumping Snell down the depth chart.

I feel really good about Gilbert, think they found a gem there if his injury woes are behind him.

I think Pierre will continue his climb that began at the end of last season.

Honorary mention, Shakur Brown. He didn’t make the list but he’s another guy I have some hope for.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I like how the team stopped everything to watch Harvin's punts. Cam Heyward came up with the new nickname for Harvin-"the hamburgerlar".

• Like Like x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Rashaad Coward is the guy on this list that I am intrigued by. Started in place of Decatro who was absent. Has some starting experience with the Bears. This guy could very well make them roster and bump Finney.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Norwood is featured prominently in the article. The thing is, Norwood’s biggest weakness is tackling, and that’s one thing that doesn’t get tested at OTAs. Let’s see how he does when they put on the pads.

If Hassenhauer is our starting center for any significant length of time, that does not bode well.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think Ballage might bump Snell off the roster. He's a better short yardage back, and Snell is just meh as a runner. You could see Ballage being the guy to pound a D into submission late with a multi-score lead, to help keep some tread on Najee's tires. I hope McFarland can improves enough to get in that rotation. That's a nice mix of skills.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should keep 4 RBs, get rid of Samuels, and keep Snell.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Nothing gets decided in OTA's so no one is moving up or down on the depth chart until they start playing for real. Then we'll see who is really doing something to be impressed about. That time cannot get here fast enough. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t wish time away. Trust me. It goes fast enough. Carpe Diem

• Like Like x 3
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree mostly but probably Samuels that gets knocked from the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wonder if Snell and Samuels get the boot. The Steelers could go with 3 backs.

This is a strange thought, but I could see the Steelers using the extra roster space to keep 4 QBs. The Steelers love Dobbs. If Haskins shows anything in camp, I could see this happening.

I am in no way saying I agree with that. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Haskins was the only QB on the list. The writer saying that isn't that he has looked any better than Rudolph or Dobbs but you can tell by his arm that he is a special talent. Also his teammates are rooting for him and going out of their way to help him. I think what gives him a step up above the others is that the whole organization is hoping he makes it because of his major league arm. It would also be a feather in their cap by taking a cast-off and have him become a competent NFL QB. Unless he completely melts down in pre-season, I think he makes the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A common theme I’ve noticed is that Haskins needs a good support system, not sure I’d look at the accolades he is getting as much more than that at this point although I hope so. Hoping they caught lightning in a bottle.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020

LOOOOVE that Gilbert is looking good. Barring those injuries, he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Curious to see how Calvin Bundage will look in pre-season. He looked fantastic in his highlights.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Preseason has been cut to 3 games, though the Steelers have 4 because of the HOF game. Usually another Pre would just be meh to me, but I like the rookies getting that extra look. The real hook for some of these guys is if they can play special teams, so looking forward to the camp battles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Looks like the Steelers will play a total of 24 games 2021-2022 season.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I see no way they keep 4 on the regular roster, I do not think Dobbs is PS eligible (doubt they would keep hi there anyway). To me it is actually Haskins job to lose that 3rd string position. If he shows maturity, shows growth and willingness to learn, and does not totally screw it up in the pre games the job is likely his. Dobbs IMO was brought back just in case Haskins shows none of those things, he knows the system, they are comfortable with him and unless there is some rook worth developing he does not cost that much more. Even is he is cut it is doubtful there is going to be a mad rush to grab him, keep his phone number close and give him a call if needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I've always been of the opinion that preseason games are close to useless in terms of the team and staff evaluating players. Every player will get way more snaps during training camp practices and scrimmages. That's where roster spots are won. The preseason games are fluff. As fans we like to think they mean something because its the most we see, but for the staff they're a very small % of what they observe.

I remember reading an article where Doug Pederson basically said that in practices and scrimmages you could compare players under controlled situations which you can't do in games. For example, seeing how two OLBs might do against the same linemen. Or how two RBs do behind the same OL. You get the point.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but.... there are things you see in games that you don't in a practice situation too. live fire from different competition. game settings where a coach doesn't determine when a play is over. refereeing game situations to take back for practice purposes. how whole units work together under game conditions. some may be small nuances but they matter. getting units on the field in timely fashion. some is even for the coaches to get things working under game conditions. remember we have a lot of new coaches working units together as well this year. it's not only about player evaluation. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If they love Dobbs why did they jettison him for Duck Hodges? I think they brought him in as Haskins fuel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Unless Haskins is a complete turd in the preseason and/or hits the strip clubs during camp, I think they're keeping him, too. Best case he sits and learns all year, both the offense and how to prepare like a pro on a good team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Stays.

Goes.

I feel Pierre will continue to impress.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe why Doug P is no longer a Head Coach :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They didn’t, they traded him for a draft pick and then brought Hodges back.

That’s twice you’ve been corrected on that, are you allergic to facts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Harvin has never been a placeholder, is that what the author was saying? That is a little bit scary. I hope he can do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Trading for a low pick is jettisoning. They obviously didn't think he had a future here. If you think they brought him in for anything more than to light a fire under Haskins' arse, you're sadly mistaken.

• Agree Agree x 1