1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 6, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes why he did doubt it you are correct sir. TY. i think he is capable of being a starter. he's not going to stay at his 2019 level i believe. he may not be ben or terry bradshaw but i believe he can be on or above the level of neil o'. that can keep us at a high level with the other players around him. especially with sullivan here now and canada's offense. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    urban liked his mobile qb's. ryan day was handcuffed by urban and didn't really allow burrow to play the style he should have at osu. burrow was a lot more mobile then given credit for, but was such a good passer he didn't look to run near as much as some others. that wasn't what urban wanted. he came to find out barrett and haskins were not as run willing either. barrett did because he couldn't read defenses enough and it became necessity. haskins struggled when his go to receiver was out a couple of games. he had to read and go through progressions then and struggled. i know 50 TD passes but as a fan that watched every game, along with others that watched every game, we could see this in him.

i watched burrow play from his HS days. there is even a thread on here where i told everyone to watch this kid for our future qb in burrows redshirt freshman year. he had talent. they all had talent but not all of their talents transfer to the pro game. his did and i think fields will. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Rudolphs ceiling is closer to that of Landry Jones than N.O.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are all entitled to opinions, even if they are wrong. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Glad you are comfortable in your wrongness ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no maybe about it. He will not be Bradshaw or Roethlisberger. He doesn't have that kind of arm strength or mobility.

O'Donnell is probably a good description of Rudolph's ceiling, and even that isn't a sure thing.

7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My contention is just that Meyer really didn't care about developing a QB for the pro game. It just wasn't a priority for him. Not saying he was wrong either. As long as kids kept coming to UF or OSU and he kept winning than the folks that signed his checks were more than happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs again with the best pass during drills :lolol:

Where’s SDOT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think if we were looking for a modern day comparison Masons ceiling might be Kirk Cousins or Jimmy G. There is a chance he can get to that level, I.e. a credible starter but hugely dependent on scheme and the talent around them

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I see no reason the Steelers would not put Haskins on the practice squad this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think that would depend on what he shows and what tape other teams get on him. If he shows a distinct progress from where he was in Washington to something near backup but not worthy of a roster spot will the Steelers risk the practice squad where maybe the Texans take a flyer on him or the Bengals. I just realized I have no idea who Burrows back up is. So then it becomes how much do you let him showcase if you are serious about keeping him around and developing him beyond this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It's the off season. This is media garbage time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    ty no disrespect to Haskins in fact quite the opposite but Dobbs hitting flag and all these guys crying tweener, Canada has plans, Haskins has a lot to prove, not to be a buzz kill

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ask the Redskins what their reason was. This is not rocket science. Hasn't played 1 down yet so what's your reasoning that differs from theirs?

15. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    if Haskins has to go to the practice squad its over for him, a former first round pick -
    the practice squad spot is already been taken,
    maybe Haskins can catch on in the CFL or get a pay day in the new USFL?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Right, they're not buying a lottery ticket and then posting it on a public bulletin board before the drawing. He either makes the roster or is cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Or maybe Tommy Maddox in ten years...

18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You guys aren't seriously trying to glean a QB pecking order from this, are you?

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not sure why urban wouldn't have taken haskins down at jacksonville when he was sitting out there for cheap. he went and brought tebow in. why not his old qb from osu too? they had the money to spend. if he thought haskins would be good enough as a backup at least to his first pick of the draft. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The question that should concern you is why the Steelers brought him in with futue franchise marshmallow Mason Rudolph in the fold.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats a good question. vick, barrett, dobbs, rivers, haskins. hmmm lots of chocolate to go with that marshmallow. :smiley1::cool:

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don’t encourage him.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Joshua Dimes. He would have got us into the playoffs in 2019. We would have taken the Titans spot and beat the Patriots and Ravens. Then probably lost to the Chiefs. This is an alternative reality we were robbed of by Mason Jagoff.

[​IMG]

24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm with you on Mason, but Dobbs stinks. He should learn from Tebow and switch positions while he's still young.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not sure how you can judge somebody who has never been given a real chance. He had one year then Tomlin brought in his replacement. These players aren't stupid. They know what's going on behind the scenes and the politics. Has to be real discouraging knowing you have no real chance. Tomlin and co were going to do everything in their power to make sure Rudolph had every chance to succeed. I mean we saw it when they traded Dobbs to give Rudolph the red carpet. Then quickly realized Rudolph was a dud and brought him back.

I always go back to this game and if he was given a chance to build on it. I always said from the beginning. He's a better pocket passer than Jamar Jackson and can run but not as elusive. Bu the doesn't need to be since he's a better pocket passer.