1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 6, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Agree on all of this, but IMO
    Jones is the 1st Qb I seen come out of Bama in a long time I think can make it in the NFL.
    I'm not basing this on Arm strength, or Athletic ability.
    Purely on His ability 2 read what he is seeing Quickly, and knowing what 2 do.
    Of course....We shall see. LoL.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree MD about fields. i think he's the best of the bunch to come out of there for awhile. maybe not immediately but soon with the right handling. we shall see what sullivan can do with these backups this year. he will make both better i believe. i think team wide they are not complete yet but we have some of the building blocks in place to begin the process. we need these players to get seasoned and the drafts to hit during the process. don't expect it to happen game one of preseason though. let it play out and show improvement as the season goes on. we have some solid base players to build around i think. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being no chance in at all and 10 being a lead pipe lock, my confidence on either Rudolph or Haskins being a reasonable NFL starter, meaning a QB that holds the starting job for two consecutive seasons on the same team, is about a 2.

I won't rehash my arguments regarding Rudolph, they were in another thread.

As for Haskins, teams just don't give up on #1 QB picks like the Redskins did unless they feel he is completely and utterly unsalvageable. You invested a lot in him in terms of money and draft capital, so you try to get something in return at a minimum. Instead they felt the team was better off with him being nowhere around even if it meant throwing that entire investment away. That says a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think a lot of Haskins leaving besides not playing well etc. not studying the game enough, and off the field problems (strip club during covid)

Is that he was not Rivera's guy. Rivera didn't draft him he inherited him from Jay Gruden, and he wanted his new guy under him to be some one he drafted and took.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree. I've always liked the guy from his days at UT. He seemed like a real team player and didn't get into any trouble here in Knoxville. And by all accounts, is a real good dude. But being a good dude equals precisely zero wins with the Steelers. I just don't believe he has what it takes to be a mediocre BU let alone starter in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think we'll know what we have, in Haskins, by the end of the Philly preseason game. If he doesn't play well in those first two preseason games, then I could see him being cut rather quickly, and the Steelers washing their hands. I fully expect Tomlin to give him every chance to not only make the team but be the number #2. The ball is in Haskins court to achieve this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You aren't explaining things. You are making things up. Perhaps you should learn the difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Haskins really doesn't have much in common with Pryor or Barrett other than the college where he played and the color of his skin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    syllables in his last name?

The college where he played is relevant though, imo. When the track record coming out of there is as bad as it's been, you have to wonder. Is it the system, the type of coaching they're getting, what? Athough Urban Meyer hasn't been there since 2018, he recruited those guys and knew what he wanted in a QB to run his type of offense and that philosophy hasn't really changed. Joe Burrow wasn't going to see the field much at OSU so transferred. The last QB that Meyer actually developed into a reasonable passer was Alex Smith at Utah and Smith was already there when Meyer arrived in 2003.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Which part did I make up?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...r-jackson-nfl-mock-draft/stories/201803260117

Please give me a logical explanation why any team would keep a 2nd/3rd string QB all camp and preseason then trade them right after the 1st game? Steelers played the Pats on Sep 8 and Dobbs was traded Sep 9. Why was that even on their mind immediately after that embarrassing loss? We just got blown out by the Pats. Lets trade our 3rd string QB lol what? They knew Ben was hurt and wanted to give Rudolph the red carpet with no QB controversy. The cherry on top is when they use the Dobbs pick to get the TE Rudolph trains with in the off-season. They have given him every opportunity to be an average QB and he can't do it. Shocker this is Tomlins guy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    “The Legend of Josh Dobbs” perpetuates for two reasons: 1) he’s been around a long time now - year 5 now and 2) he hasn’t played much. This allows the fan base to imagine unrealized greatness - if only he got the chance.

Maybe we can write a ballad.

Gonna tell y’all a story bout a man named Dobbs
    Yinzers fell in love with his lollipop lobs.
    Then one day he was traded and bad luck!
    His chance for greatness was taken by a Duck!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  13. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Mallard that is. Webbed-foot waterfowl.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why not 2021? He has more faith then men of mustard.

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have more faith in Rudolph than I do Haskins. So Rudolph only had 4 of 11 games without an interception. Ben over his career being a gunslinger has had more than his share of interceptions. I would guess he is above 50% with the number of games he threw an interception. Let alone we well know he has also had games with multiple interceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This off season can't end fast enough. Why not start a thread on the punters. Wait, not really.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    See, this is another example of one of your many bad habits. You assume the Steelers can make whatever moves they want and other teams will just happily go along with it. There was another team involved in that trade. That was when the opportunity presented itself, so that was when they made the trade. Clearly, they didn't think that much of Dobbs.

You are making up the bit about wanting to hand things to Rudolph. They didn't have to hand him anything. He beat out Dobbs that preseason.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why is this a story? What did we expect? Did we think it was Rudolph's intention to hold a clipboard for his entire career?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm sure there are many QBs out there who are fine being a backup QB for the paycheck. They just don't come out and say it directly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pryor says that in another tweet, what else is he going to say but I’m sure he really believes it as well he should but I don’t see it happening.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pryor must have a required minimum for her social media. I doubt her news judgment is that poor.

What's next? Najee Harris wants the ball this fall!

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why don't you doubt mason can become the guy? because of how he was thrown at the wolves in the begining of his second year and his first as the backup two years ago? BS. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you meant to ask why he did doubt it, not why he didn't doubt it. :)

Some folks are now welcome to return to making excuses for Rudolph as they work to convince themselves that he can be Roethlisberger's long-term replacement.

Rudolph certainly could be the Steelers' starter in 2022, but that doesn't seem like it will be a good thing for the team.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason looked better than Ben the last time we saw Mason as I stated earlier his key to success will be his deep ball ..He is not a stand in the gun and read a defense and then spread the ball around guy.. He is a get under Center true play fake QB then make 1 or 2 reads then check it down if not there..The play design will be key in spreading out the Defense with different runs to different holes and using route trees behind it that attack the windows opened by those holes .. Add to that the check down either blocking or fake blocking from the TE and using the correct time to release or cut on his route.. In a ideal Play this would occur right after his 2nd. read 'boom turn your head and hit the check down..

Also you can employ multiple drag and crossing routes from PA with a somewhat mobile QB as his reads come with him as he rolls out giving him half the field to read .. Ben can physically no longer do it IMO and he doesn't like to turn his back to the Defense so my hope is our new OC has Offenses that can be catered to whoever wins the bu job instead of Gun draw left draw right make a play style Offense...The reasons above are also why I will not count Dobbs out of the running for the bu spot because he does add a element on the edge if our OC has those types of plays in his playbook ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Still doesn't tell the whole story. Urban recruited and coached different kinds of QBs, the one that beat out Burrow -- Haskins -- was less mobile than Joe. Both pocket passers recruited by Meyer, as was JT Barrett, who was more similar in style to Braxton Miller and Terrelle Pryor, both of whom were recruited by Jim Tressel, none of whom were as talented a passer as Justin Fields, who was recruited to play at Georgia before transferring to OSU.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021