1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Five potential FA signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 28, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can find nothing 2 either confirm that he has ,or hasn't passed his physical.
    So I wonder the same.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Probably wants to start, too. No chance of that in Pittsburgh, best he could hope for is sub-package work, barring injuries to Minkah or Edmunds.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Coming off an achilles injury that’s just not realistic. He may not even be ready by the start of the season. Whenever he is ready, he will be worked in slowly.

I look at him as someone who can contribute in the second half of the season and good depth in case of injury. That’s not to say he won’t play until the second half, just that he won’t be back to normal and making an impact until then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm really on the fence about spending money on Hooker for Safety depth when it could be better used on a CB imo, but this IS interesting...

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In his case it could be his ankle?

And wait and see?

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wait and see? No every move should’ve been made on the first day of Free Agency. And if not we’re only trying to win regular season games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You and I seem to think alike.

you have my deepest sympathy.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s actually scary. Lol.
    Seriously though I wish people could have a little patience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Very interesting.

I wanted Vander Esch when he was drafted. Not kept up too much on what he did on Dallas since then - why are they wanting to shift him?

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    2C1BF3CC-3B53-481F-8541-FCA6C9CBCE77.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it is his injury history, drafting of younger players at his position and new coaching staff. When I have watched him when healthy he has the instincts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consider the source, I will believe it when Schefter or Rapoport report it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowboys have said they aren’t interested in trading him but that doesn’t mean anything, could just be driving up his price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Stranger things have happened. Arthur Blank said Jones was going to be a lifelong Falcon now looks like he will be a Titan very soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the problem. He can't stay healthy.

Also, can any of the outside linebackers on the roster play outside? If they are going to spend resources, they have serious depth issues at cornerback, safety, and outside linebacker.

17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Also, would the Steelers be on the hook for his total cap hit? If so it's a non-starter.

https://overthecap.com/player/leighton-vander-esch/6904/

Not as worried about the injuries. In 2020 he broke a collarbone and returned to play 10 games. In 2019 he had surgery to alleviate a pinched nerve in his neck.

He's not blowing out knees or achilles.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    high ankle sprain. neck. collarbone. all not good for a LB. they declined the 5th year option on him. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Devin Bush shredded his knee. Also not good, or as you would describe since he's a Steeler - fine. :cool:

The real reason they didn't pick up his 5Y option might be that he stinks at football. 50 PFF grade last year. Awful.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think Mac was making a statement about whether a serious injury means more or less when you are a member of the Steelers. He listed the injuries that would be a red flag when looking at LVE versus getting depth at CB, Safety, or OLB. If they are going shopping with their limited cap space guys without obvious red flags at a position of need rather than ones who would fill a great role on the Steelers if the remain healthy. I liken it to wining and dining Hightower and missing out on some solid depth guys several years ago. Butler liked Hightower but he was just using them to set his value so he could go back to the Pats.

My God did I have a bunch of typos in this response.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well MD if you ever read my posts i have not been a huge fan of bush and the 3 draft picks it took to get him. it's more about the position and the injuries mounting. LVE was quite good his first couple of years and then the injuries mounted and he's nowhere near the same player. bush may not be the same either, which for him will really make the 3 picks used on him even more of a liability. steeler or not that has never mattered to me. can he help the team is more of a priority for the money spent. will he get better going forward is also in the formula. if the knee injury affects them as he moves forward then it may come down to the 5th year option decision. LVE's injuries have hurt his development so far, so why take on that increased burden when money is already tight and we have or may have a problem at that position already. why create two problems. vince already limits us at the position. why make it 3 problems. the inside LB position has hurt this defense for years and we keep trying to fix it but end up back to vince which was the initial problem to start with. we have been adding guys to cover from that position for a few years now.

i don't think we are in that bad of shape at the OLB spot. as long as we stay fairly healthy. if not it's like any other position if the starter goes down, the backup usually isn't as good. i do think roche could be as good as highsmith by the end of the year. if they show improvement thats all we can ask. it will make us better.

if you noticed over the last several years we are trying to find that safety/ LB tweener. allen, barron, killebrew, brooks, denmark. they want to make this a big part of this defense. we have thumpers but they are a dying breed. coverage has been killing us from this position. the slot play near the line has been helping but we have lost a good one and now have that hole to fill as well. one of these guys could help that if they can make plays from the LB spot instead. we have thrown a lot of numbers at these two positions and are looking for them to distance themselves from the pack. time will tell. LVE at this point for the money will not help. our rookie johnson might, UG3 if he could stay healthy might. if it was LVE from his first or second year, yes but as i've watched him play the last couple, these injuries have taken there toll. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've heard by Cowboy fans he still has neck problems. Of course ,how they know is beyond me:shrug:???

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bush and LVE would be far better than any other combination they could put out there, I would freaking love that if they can make the numbers work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    ...or pee into the wind.

25. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You seem to be locked on to @Maddog78 these days. Did he kick your dog? Peg your girl? Not invite you to his annual bbq? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like Like x 1