1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Grades 4 Years Later

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 1, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    2017 Draft

1 T.J. Watt Absolute stud. Maybe the best defensive player in the NFL

2 JuJu Smith-Schuster Instant contributor right out of the gate. 4 years of quality production.

3 Cameron Sutton Currently the Steelers CB2 with potentially his best years still ahead of him

3 James Conner 1 awesome year. Did some great things when healthy.

4 Joshua Dobbs Still on the roster. Likely our QB3 IMO.

5 Brian Allen Bust

6 Colin Holba Bust

7 Keion Adams Bust

We went over the the 2018 draft in the other thread. 4 years later it's hard to argue that this was a solid draft. Currently 3 starters from this draft. Conner started for 3 years(when healthy). Josh Dobbs has had some moments and is still on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    This draft needs to be conveniently ignored to push an agenda.

Mods please delete this as soon as possible.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You forgot we traded Dobbs away. Then got him back . So we got him , and a pick.
    Does that make it a little better???:shrug:
    If Sutton can actually take over, and preform well.( remains 2 be seen)
    It will have been a great draft . IMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    4 out of 7, is that above average for the Steelers? For the league? Bueller?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Great draft

I know it’s pointless stating what could have been but George Kittle was a huge miss here, there were lots of Steelers draft media mocking him to Pittsburgh and he was there at the end of the fourth so it was not in any way risky. Man that would have been nice

• Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It does. It does make it even better. Dobbs will never be a franchise QB. But he has been a great teammate and has delivered on the field in small doses. As a QB3 I will take that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Good short term return, but Watt may be the only one to get a long term 2nd deal.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ah yes. The one draft where we didn't go out our way to draft some crappy player from the DMV pipe and no obvious Tomlin picks. Our last very good draft as well. What a coincidence.

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Very hard to pay more than 1-2 from any class though. Sutton and Juju may get long term deals depending on how 2021 goes

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It was a good draft. To this day I don't understand the Colin Holba pick. It's like each draft they like to have a wild card they draw from a hat or something.

I find the QB picks - Jones, Dobbs and Rudolph - frustrating overall but each one I can see the reasoning. Jones was setting records all over his college career, and turned into a decent back up. Dobbs was the brain and had potential (neither of which the Steelers did much with though, and perhaps the potential wasn't all that after all). Rudolph was highly projected and fell to us, so again, made a certain amount of sense. Looking back on all 3, it seems a lot of draft capital for back up QBs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Impressive that three players tied together got to the QB that many times. Think of the coordination needed! Also questionable whether it’s within the rules.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    That was a very good draft especially if Sutton can rise up to be a decent starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s a really big gap between #1 and #2 on this list. It was absolutely ridiculous that he didn’t get DPOY last season, and the voters who passed him up should be ashamed for punishing the player for whatever anti-Steeler bias leaked into their voting. Pay the man.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    May have been more than anti-Steelers bias.:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

The media is so busy kissing Aaron Donald's butt, TJ was robbed of DPOY in 2020 :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Got to get them Laker fans to the games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    While I know it's your been your thing, the repetitive slanted, anti-Tomlin schtick gets old. Not because you don't like the guy, but because your statements are so often void of substance. Talking about a draft four years ago as the 'last very good one' a team has had - when the general consensus is that three years ago was average to below, and the rest are still too early to judge - and somehow pinning that on the HC is at best a significant reach (kinda like the Edmunds pick you've repeatedly railed on about previously).

I mean, if you want to make derogatory statements against Tomlin, that's fine. But I'd think having them bear some semblance to reason not be too much to ask. There are plenty of bones I could pick with him as well. Laying sole blame for the 2018-21 drafts wouldn't be one of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Who the f*** were these three?! lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Really hope Highsmith is up for the task.

It’s depressing that we had 2 guys in the top 5, that’s huge and a big blow to lose that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm surprised to see Dupree there, honestly. PFF has him ranked far lower. I think he's going to struggle without Watt in Tennessee.

I'm excited about Highsmith. Hopefully he can perfect one go-to pass rush move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Watt seemed to struggle without Dupree too :shrug:. Watt and Dupree were tied for having the quickest get off last season, per SNR.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Injuries played a big role in the defense faltering late in the season. None had a bigger impact than Dupree.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I know, I was just messing with Maddog, the run defense was bad the second half of the season.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's very easy to tie Tomlin to draft picks. Just look at the huge influx of DMV players(where he's from) over the years. None of them have even been above average. He went to school with Edmunds mom. Vick was clearly his idea. On record saying he fell in love with Rudolph scouting Washington(wasted a free 3rd round pick) All the Maryland players because his son goes there. Sean Davis(2nd round) Most our draft in 2020 was Maryland players and none good and complete waste of draft capital. Used a 4th on RB that did nothing just to use a 1st round the next year on the position.

2017 was one of the few drafts with no DMV players and obvious Tomlin picks. Like he knows the players mom. And it was one of our best. Coincidence? No.

I don't hate Tomlin. I think he's a great players coach and motivator. That's why his early years were the best. He had less say in big decisions and Colbert handled it. They had great players and he did what he was best at, motivating and that's why they had success. Over the years, his role has evolved. He's had more say in big decisions and it's been a disaster. He's not good at evaluating talent or XOs. Those both go hand in hand imo and it shows.

Needs to go back to the way it was. Let people who can evaluate talent handle the draft. Let Colbert handle FA. We will have a better roster and be able to overcome Tomlin's lack of XOs. Just let him motivate them on Sundays. That's the winning formula.

• Like Like x 1