1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Phil Jurkovec is DEFINITLEY SOMEONE I would consider investing in. The fact that Brian Kelly just let him walk away and start Ian Book over him is very suspect. :hmm:

2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not convinced that the Steelers will draft a QB in Rd 1 in 22. I think they're going to give Rudolph and Haskins every opportunity possible as early as this season. Maybe one or the other is the solution, or perhaps neither is the solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Teddy Bridgewater is only 30 and available next year depending on what happens in Denver. IF they have to get a bridge QB, he'd be my target as it is right now. Mason may progress and Haskins may stay on his meds so we'll see how it plays out there. QB will certainly be a position I'll be keying on this fall during the college season

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you guys like Brett Favre? You will love Sam Howell.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know what nobody is saying.
    With the way the Steelers do things.
    If We draft someone in the 1st round and they are not the MAN....we will have 5 long years of them trying 2 prove he is.
    That is how they treat their 1st round picks now.
    When you know if the Guy wasn't a 1st rounder...he'd be gone , or benched.
    Some that wanted the pic will be saying its everything , and everyone else's fault, but the player.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You have to make that pick though. If there is a QB in the first that you think could be the guy, you have to take him. I think they will trade up to get one as I don’t think they will finish with a losing record to get them close to a top 10.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I see them giving Mason a chance before trading up. Maybe trading up in 2023. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they already know what they have in Rudolph. I think their plan is to see what they have in Haskins, I have a feeling they will make him #2 unless he’s just completely awful in camp and preseason.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason #2 is set in stone,Tomlin will play his vets is my thinking. Haskins probably won't dress much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why pick up Haskins then? He won’t develop as the number 3, no work.

I don’t think Rudolph is a lock for anything. If he’s out played, he’ll lose his spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    For those who believe trading up for a QB who might not be the guy must understand one major aspect of the NFL Draft; luck. As unfortunate as such a condition is, luck is sadly involved here as there is no direct way to determine how successful a QB will be in the NFL sans some seriously obvious observations. However, some of that luck can be swayed to the teams side should said team have conducted the proper research and analysis on how they will fit into the system. As such, picking a QB within the First Round has to come down to three major key factors;

1.) Schematic Fit

Given the fact that a QB is your best chance for your team to get to the promised land, you better have a scheme in place to fit their play style. Most recently, teams have continually evolved their own Offenses based on the QBs skills alone rather than the totality of the Offensive Capabilities of the Offense itself with the QBs. I doubt the Steelers hop onto this "New Era" level of ideology as the entire Offense itself is just as important as having "the guy" commanding it.

2.) Traits/Characteristics:

This sort of falls into number one although not entirely so. For example, a big armed QB should be able to function in any Offense correct?! Not quite. A West Coast Style of Offense greatly diminishes the Offensive Performance of the Offense by forcefully handicapping that Big Armed QBs greatest asset. Just an example but the major takeaway here is having a QB that has the ability to run multiple styles of plays within multiple styles of ways. For example, an RPO Style Offense can be run with a multitude of options; boot legs, PA's and QB Draws to name a few. Having a QB that can perform all of these and more greatly augments the scoring capability of the team and, as a result, increases the teams chances of winning.

3.) Intangibles:

Having the first two is essential for certain. Having this final one though is next to impossible to locate in the draft. How a QB acts when the game within the reach of victory to how they act when the game seems out of reach but is not are two entirely different concepts. Much of this stems from the correlation of a persona that must elicit confidence, pride and perseverance with the dedication and commitment to see things through to the end throughout the entire Offense. Even the smallest gestures such as communication and body language can explain an awful lot for many GMs and Scouts. Finding the most mentally tough QBs who can overcome the mightiest of adversities is what usually separates good QBs from great QBs.

Overall, while I do believe Pittsburgh must keep their interests open for finding the guy in 2022, I also believe that seeing in what one has is also an important step. Should that one on the roster warrant enough discussion to be the one, then the focus of the NFL Draft should lay elsewhere. If said QB is not but the guy is within reach come the NFL Draft, there will be no other choice but to trade up for him. Waiting on who one believes to be the one is not going to work.

A risky gamble?! Sure. A possible major payout if it works out in the end?! Most definitely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You might be right Blast. I'm not convinced that they trade up for a qb after the season. Taking one at their draft spot seems more Rooney's style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Great read, but I think you left out the thing that every Great Qb has.
    Not how fast, big, strong, arm talent, intelligent, and even System fit.
    How fast does he process what he sees.
    Most QBs can get on a board and tell you were to go, what routes 2 look for. Just like most can watch a fight on TV and say ....example: he should be stepping 2 his right and firing the upper cut. Simple looking from the outside.
    Not so simple while bullets are flying.
    Same with the Qb.
    How fast is he processing what he sees.
    I don't believe its intelligence ...I dont believe it can be taught. I do believe you can get better at it, but only 2 a point.
    I believe it's something you're either born with ,or not.
    JMO.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind when I stated Traits/Characteristics, processing was left out intentionally. Why?! A first round QB must have this ability in spades to warrant the selection although there have to be SEVERE circumstances that permits said QB to succeed in other ways. Processing is a definite quality to have but there are workarounds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Normally, I’d agree with you but Bush and Minkah have turned that on it’s head.

Obviously, Rudolph and Haskins development will ultimately be the deciding factor on what approach they take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope Haskins make some waves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I do hope that Haskins can turn it around. The less the team has to worry about finding their "next one", the better that Draft Capital will be served for the entire team. However, should he be unable to, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As do I.

That Draft Capital should be better served elsewhere. Cornerback, Interior Defensive Lineman (how much longer Cameron Heyward can play is in question) and possibly Safety (or more specifically Kyle Hamilton although he will likely require a trade up barring extreme circumstances) are early possibilities for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    At the rate they're going, I think they're waiting for Arch Manning

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You need the straw to stir the drink, better get that QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

That said, if Haskins does pan out, opt for someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well they best figure this situation out. Rudolph and Haskins as potential starters next season I believe they will draft a QB #1 in 2022.

Neither will get many starting reps as long as Ben stays upright except for pre season.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Aaron Rodgers .....

Rodgers holds out all year the team with the most cap money available (Steelers), will be first in line at their shot at signing him.

I still hope Mason gets his shot at the Starting position. If he lights it up this preseason there will be a QB controversy in Pittsburgh.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Again everyone, having either Mason or Dwayne pan out will make drafting for the future that much less of a predicament. Not saying either are the answer at all but, of the two, I really am pulling for Haskins.

• Like Like x 1