1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Way to Early Roster Projection...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, May 9, 2021.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    QB.

Ben, Rudolph, Haskins - I think the only thing up for debate is who is the backup. Does Haskins actually work himself to show he can be a NFL QB. His talent should outperform Rudolph, but the question becomes work ethic. Dobbs I think gets kept on the PS so he can be sounding board for Ben on the sideline.

RB

Harris, McFarland, Ballage, Snell - I think Ballage and Snell are going to fight for carries in a short yardage type role, but this will only be when Harris needs a breather.

FB

Watt - Not really anything to talk about here.

WR

Juju, Johnson, Washington, Claypool, Ray Ray - The only question here is who is making the PS cause I don't think we are carrying 6 WR. Rico Bussey is my favorite to make it at the moment.

TE

Ebron, Freiermuth, Radar - I think Radar makes it based on his blocking and special teams abilities. Gentry just isn't there. Specials changes that final spot.

Oline

Chuks, Dotson, Green, DeCastro, Banner, Finney, Haeg, Moore, Hassenauer - Coward may push to make the roster as well.

Dline

Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Wormley, Davis, Loudermilk, Buggs - I think we actually may keep 7. If we only keep 6 this position will have some really good camp battles.

OLB

Watt, Highsmith, Roche, TBD - I have no idea who gets this last spot. Marsh is the favorite, but I'm not sold on him being able to hold the edge. I think Jones or Watson or even Bundage could push for a spot if they can win on special teams better than Marsh.

ILB

Bush, Williams, Spillane, Johnson, Killebrew - Gilbert lost his chance last year by not staying healthy. Allen is just to small.

CB

Haden, Sutton, Layne, Pierre, Brown - I think the only 2 guys safe in this group are the starters. Everything else is up for grabs.

S

Minkah, Edmunds, Brooks, Maulet, Norwood - Norwood may be the best option at FS and Brooks I think may take the Edmunds backup role. He will have to beat Maulet out for it.

3 specials. Now if you do the math above....I have 51 guys. I think rosters were a little different last year, but it will revert to 53 this year. IF that is the case, one of these guys doesn't make the roster. Who is that player? I don't know. Preseason will make this decision.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hassenauer i do not believe will make the 53. PS all the way with finney back. :cool:

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m only going to address QB here. Unsolicited Tomlin has twice mentioned Haskins, his young age and first round talent. That tells me he will get a fair shot if he can get his act together. At some point this season, and it could be very early, who ever is number 2 is going to become number 1.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Attended his pro day, too. I don’t see how they don’t make him the number two out of camp because otherwise he won’t get the work to develop.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If Moore is up to the task, then I can see us releasing haeg ..... If I'm reading the formula correctly, we lost a 4th Rd comp pick next yr when we signed haeg..... Releasing him gets that comp pick back

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Also think Justin Layne's spot is in jeopardy due to his off field antics, which opens the door for Gilbert, if he's healthy

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Haskins will beat out Rudolph for the backup QB role, Isaiah McCoy could be a WR to keep a eye on, Buggs could be cut or sent to the PS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the kid from slippery rock sounds better then all of them. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with that is they need more than one reserve offensive tackle. Even if Moore is ready to play in the opener, they would need to find another backup at tackle.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think QB ends up being Ben, Mason, Dobbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. Dobbs is better than Haskins, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    collins, cowerd, coyle, okrafor, watson. they have other tackles in camp. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In your opinion, are any of them any good, or at least have shown potential upside.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    3 of them have played in the league and two we have kept on our PS and brought back again this year. so yea i think they could be. we are talking about backups most likely anyway. okrafor would be the next man up most likely. i'm not sure haeg would bring much more the a couple of these guys in that situation, just more playing time. mt likes vets though. except last year when they kept hassenauer over a vet.

to be honest, with all these new players and one year contracted players they are looking at who might stick beyond this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Haskins has more talent than Dobbs and Rudolph combined. If he can be taught to understand the mental part of the game, he’ll be a good QB.

If he makes it out of camp, I can’t see how they don’t promote him to #2, it’s the only way he’ll get enough work to continue to develop.

Tomlin likes him, went to his pro day, he’s going to give him every opportunity to make it.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tomlin was in love with Mason and went to his pro day, too. Also, they just signed him to a year extension. I think they most they're hoping for with Haskins is that he can hang on as a #3.

Personally, I hope Haskins balls out and wins the job.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they already know what they have in Rudolph. They had to extend him, they had no other QB on the roster next year.

If Haskins doesn’t show anything in camp, he’ll probably be cut but if he does make it, they didnt pick the guy up to be a 3rd string QB, they picked him up with the hopes of being the next franchise guy and he won’t be that holding a clipboard getting no reps in practice during the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    he just might be a disrupter, watched him a little on youtube and he DID NOT miss one throw, compare that to the video of Mac Jones over throwing a receiver in pro days w Belichick shaking his head

he came from DII, but he looks sturdy and has a nice efficient throwing motion, Haskins seat is getting warm which I think is intentional

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  19. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017

ok so he missed one, my bad

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yet Bill still drafted him.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Wearing that white boy out... They didn't have another WR on the whole damn team! Dude had to run every rep!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    No other QB is eligible for rookie mini-camp. He's a rent-a-QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Confluence