1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Declines Fifth Year Option For Terrell Edmunds (REPORT)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, May 3, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Clark played next to the late great Sean Taylor...after seeing a ton of their games, I knew Clark would be the perfect Robin to Troy's Batman.

It is hard for any rookie to come in and start, especially at safety. I would hate to try to replace him with an early pick.

I don't know, let's see how this year goes. You can't expect every player to be a star, and Edmunds has been steady. He is not a liability on the field.

Maybe we can get him on a cap friendly deal. Other teams might have a need for safety, but I don't see many teams offering him a huge amount of cash.

I do miss having an "enforcer" in the secondary though. No one lays the boom anymore.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he can follow Willie Gay's path.
    Or just get better now!

• Like Like x 1
  3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He’s not junk, he’s just not worth the 5th year option.They’re right. They’ll try to sign him to a new lesser deal more in line with his ability or he can move on. He’ll test the market and that will define whether he stays or goes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:clap:

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think if he gets in the right scheme he can be a top notch player. IMO this would require a move to the Hybrid LB where he mostly stays and plays in the box and is used in short zones or as a blitzer. I think he can man up on the TE position , but would get exposed versus RB'S and shifty WR'S in man..

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What did you expect him to say? Was he going to admit that the Steelers spent a first-round pick on a third-round talent and the guy is only worth keeping at a lower price? That's the truth, but no way Colbert would say it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Junk player, can't wait till he's gone !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Big Al got 14 mill and 8 mill guaranteed so there's no telling what someone might pay him. That's ok but don't think for a minute there are not folks out there that won't sign him

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m just the messenger :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The message rings hollow, especially given that the Steelers are projected to have plenty of cap room next season. Sure, a big chunk of it is going to go to Watt, but they should still be able to handle Edmunds if they really thought he was playing up to his first-round status.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They couldn’t pick up his option at that salary but I don’t think it necessarily means it’s his last season either. If he takes another step forward this year, theres a good chance they will retain him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That sidesteps the point, which is that despite being projected to have as much or more cap room as any team in the league, they chose not to exercise a reasonable option for the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok. You act like I was having a debate with you, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Steelers picked up some Safety depth by signing Arthur Maulet today from the Jets. He had 5 starts last season with one pick and a sack.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Call it what you like, but the bottom line is the Steelers seem to see what I see, that Edmunds isn't very good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Had a different response here but not going to give you the satisfaction. I don’t even disagree with you that Edmunds hassnt been very good and you know that so I’m not sure why you’re coming at me with this.

We’ll find out how Colbert feels about him next year. There really was no reason to pick up the option now given how many other players they need to sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hahaha, that's hilarious!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not really sure what the big problem is. Edmunds is a good solid player. He didn’t choose where he was drafted the Steelers did. Was it a mistake taking him in the first on their part? Probably, but what’s done is done. Not sure why there’s so much hate for him. Not opting for the fifth year option doesn’t automatically mean the Steelers don’t like Edmonds or don’t want him back. It just means they don’t wanna pay that much. I believe Kevin Colbert said they would still like to sign him before free agency next year. It would be a challenge to give him an extension that makes sense for the team now and keep his Hit for this season lower than the $3.4 million it already is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 be honest. I'm not sure I'd be happy if he was a 3rd round pick.
    I really don't care about stats, but if you go back and watch every TD scored against us...all the way through the Playoffs. He was responsible for quite a bit of them. You don't have 2 believe me, or agree with me. Just go watch the complete plays of TD against us. Not just as they score, but the whole play.
    JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As the game and the rules have been evolveing the FS position is getting weaker and weaker for the NFL.. Teams need to get more in the box and to protect against the short passing game the natural set to do so is single high .. The problem I see is College Teams don't really care that much about Defense if they have a 4.4 guy who played Defense and WR in HS they probably only play him at WR even if he is very deep at the position..

This is why I have been on the we need to convert someone for years .. The single high guy must have speed and if you look at the drafts for the past 5 years or so you will notice not many 4.4 FS guys to choose from..I only see 1 or 2 a year at most to help close the gap between the Offence and Defense you need man CB'S on the outside and a FS with speed and ball skills .. There was 1 FS I liked in this draft was Trevon Moehrig his 40 time was a bit slower than the 4.4 , but he would and will make a excellent Single High guy..

Any FS who is slower than 4.50 or so will never be able to play the position greatly ..To me it is simple math as if they dead center of field they need to be able to go 27 yards or so in either direction slower guys just can't get there..Edmunds actually has just enough speed he just doesn't have the quick read and the quick hip turn to allow his speed to let him reach the sideline he is 1 to 2 steps off a lot and thats just on a deep half..We need a deep whole guy amd he will never be it..

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, what happens to the theory that KC must not think he is very good if he signs him to an extension :hmm:

He had a good season last year so there is a very good possibility that is exactly what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are very correct about his hips. That IMO is why he's in a bad position so Much .

• Agree Agree x 1