1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hmmmmm, May 4, 2021.

1. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Most people were hoping for the Steelers to draft offensive linemen sooner. It seemed to me that before Mike Munchek we had a lot of high draft picks and a very under performing line. Then he arrived the same personal looked ten times better (the high draft picks). Even when we had injuries and an undrafted guy came in there was much of a drop off. What I am trying to say is we need a good oline coach. If that happens the line will be fixed. If we don’t get a good coach it doesn’t matter who we draft.

2. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I say we kidnap Munchak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mike Munchak should have been retained by all means possible even if it meant showing MT the door.

That being said. Position coaches add some input to the draft final say but not much more besides an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... :hmm:

I do not get any of this. How is it that Adrian Klemm has already failed before any of his coaching methods have been put into place?! For that matter, why assume Adrian Klemm is destined to fail?!

The teaching methods of Munchak and Klemm are different. Munchak was more about the technics and refinements of the game. Klemm brings with him the will to instill the nasty disposition and controlled aggression the line had been missing since the days of Jerome Bettis. Both teach the basics and fundamentals.

All that said, even with Munchak in 2020, I seriously doubt the team would have been any better for one major reason; age. Pouncey was clearly nearing the end, Big Al was essentially a turnstile when it came to running the football, Chuks seems to lack that aggression that Klemm wants (and all the more reason I personally believe Dan Moore Jr. could supplant him sooner than later) and DeCastro did not look like himself... at all. On the opposite end though, Banner appears to have a nasty streak within him, Dotson clearly does and both Kendrick Green and Dan Moore Jr have shown that on tape.

Now again, all of this has to come together.... so expect some growing pains for the unit as cohesion and continuity will take time. That said, if the Offensive Line can gel quickly enough, that is just one major aspect in which the running game will return. So in short, give Klemm some time and let us judge him based off of not just how much the running game will improve but also how quickly he can create continuity and camaraderie among the lineman.

Only then can he be judged fairly. Until that time? Sit back and relax. Training Camp this season is going to be a lot of fun... more so than in a long time! :herewego:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You do know who runs this team right?

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We have a new offensive line coach. Let’s see what he can do.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I wasn’t trying to say Klemm already failed. My point was if he is a good coach the offensive line we have will be above average. If he isn’t a good coach then the line will struggle even though the players aren’t the problem. Mike M. Didn’t need high draft picks to have a good line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    This is outstanding.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is Munchak doing that is so great in Denver?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mike munchak didn't have a real good line his first year here either. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Your concerns are warranted. Munch was one of the best in the game. Klemm may be fine, but this is his first year as an NFL OL coach.

Everyone assured us there would be no dropoff from Munch to Sarrett, and I'm sure the water carriers here were scolding anyone and everyone who was worried about the loss of Munch, snarkily asking them if they Know More Than Professionals, but we all know how that worked out.

Let's hope Klemm is better than he was.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I knew it your post give off wine drinker vibes. I always knew playoff parties would suck with you.

[​IMG]

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wrong again, hated Munch leaving. Wanted him for HC, not that it would ever happen.

There’s a difference between being a negative nancy complaining about every team move and having balance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there was a lot more then what you are making it out to be in the transformation from munch to sarrett. foster was starting to faulter in munchaks final season. pounceys dropoff started in sarretts along with injury to decastro. feiler being moved. we still don't know who made that call, because tomlin was a huge fan of banner.

munch had a good interior swing man in finney, whom now isn't good enough by many here. AV starting to faulter under sarrett enough that the team dumped him. ben going down in game 2 under sarrett.

injury and eventuall dumping of a better interior swing man for hassenauer under sarrett. again we don't know who made that call.

dotson being drafted under sarrett.

so many things played into the differences. we don't know how munch would have faired either with all those things going on. denver wasn't a top line under him either.

it's easy just to say one guy is better then the other unless you take the deeper look at the situation. maybe he was and maybe he would have struggled too. players decline. you only can deal with what your coach tells you to do and who to play at certain positions.

sarrett learned from munchak. i can't believe he and the players just forgot how to do what they had learned from one guy to the next in two seasons, or was it personnel and who the head man told them to use. so much more to the story i'm sure.

our head coach has now gone to the next man up that learned under the guy they fired. the only difference being personnel change and adding a seasoned veteran offensive line coach with klemm. much better situation then sarrett was given. player wise and assistant wise. :cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Didn't he leave for Denver so he could be closer to his Granddaughter? Nothing the Steelers could do about that.

I read this as Caesar from Life of Brian.

Anyway, I'm optimistic about the O-line this year. We have new players, a new position coach, and a new OC. Combine that with a feature back, and maybe this year I won't have to risk a heart attack watching the Steelers fail to pick up 3rd and 1.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He might have stayed for a promotion.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A head coach position would be hard to pass up, but anything less and family wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not this again :facepalm:

19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

He's got a valid point. What's wrong with discussing that?

• Like Like x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

He wanted to be closer to his daughter and her family, so yo are correct. However a HC job with the Steelers would have been nearly impossible to pass up. I just wish he would have been given that opportunity for us to know for sure. I think he would have had a no nonsense approach as a Pittsburgh Steelers HC. Kind of like Chuck Noll had when it came to getting his point across. I know they are from 2 completely different era's but we need to get back to coaches being disciplinarians more so than players being coddled to a degree.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Because they were never going to give him the HC position because that would require firing Tomlin. I just don't get the fascination, if we're going to get a new HC, then don't just settle.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he didn't do well for the titans as a head coach.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What did he do last time he was HC?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see this argument all the time. He wasn’t horrible and had no talent and more importantly, no QB.

I liked the guys intangibles and attention to detail and would have liked to have seen what he could do with a talented team.

Even Noll struggled without talent. It’s such a weak argument against Munch.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    More like whine drinker