1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben your Guy??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Hell no, he'll keep us in the AFCN

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Hell yes, he is hurting our future

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. We should get Tom Brady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Should he stay or should he have gone?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just curious where the board stands on the issue.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Big Ben is the guy but sadly so via default. I personally believe that, despite year over year improvement, Mason Rudolph is not the guy. For that matter and, it bears repeating, Dwayne Haksins is the Wild Card of it all. Let us also not discount the fact that the Steelers have been to a number of Pro Days with many of the QBs in this Draft; Tier Two ones such as Kellen Mond and Kyle Trask. Do not be surprised if either or end up a Steeler (I personally doubt it but one never knows).

As a result, Big Ben gives the team the best chance to win. That said, the team had not done a very good job of ensuring that the franchise is ready to move on from him..... until now though. That said, getting Big Ben a Running Game is going to be key.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Should have already gotten Ben's replacement. Unfortunately, that guy is still not on the roster with the bag of D's (Deer, Dobbs, Dwayne) the FO has acquired.

Ben needs to retire.. That said, Ben still gives them a better chance of winning than the other rejects they have behind him.

• Agree x 3
    • Hilarious x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I was looking forward to a year with Mason, to see what the guy could actually do.

2019 I thought was a bad year to judge Mason's talents, because he was rushed back into the starting job after the Baltimore game. You watch Mason in the Cincinnati game and you see a very promising young QB. Also was wanting to see what he could do in an offense that was built to his style of play. I think the running game would immediately get a huge boost with Mason under center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

Come on man, the bengals defense ranked in the bottom of the league and the ravens were a top 3 defense. of course he looked good against the bengals and struggled against the ravens. thats like saying water flows better down hill and has a hard time flowing uphill.

Mason looks scared and very unsure of himself. And if he was promising at all he would be signed to an extension already. I wish he was good but he just isn't. He's here cause he knows the system and probably cause he is Bens friend now. Who knows maybe he dating someone in Ben's family? that seems to be how you keep your backup job for the steelers QB position.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben trailed off badly last year and he is now a year older. I doubt he makes it past the third game. What’s the point of creating this turmoil?

8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It's weird to say that he gives us the best chance to win. It's true. But just because he gives us the best chance to win, doesn't mean we're going to. That's why there's no reason for him to be here. Should have given Mason the keys. This is a throw-away season anyway. Give the kid a chance to show whether he's starter material.

But alas, we'll never know.

And since they're happy to throw away this season, why not toss the next 3 out the window? Most consistent organization in football. Hang your hat on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I thought we'd beaten this horse to death already. But.......:beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hopefully we will know what is up if Ben decides to play some games in preseason. Maybe showing up to practice everyday couldn't hurt either.

I thought last year down the stretch the WRs started dropping balls when Ben quit practicing.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m hoping for 8 games and that they spend a pick on a QB next week and he can step in and have Ben like success out of the gate.

Thats my pie in the sky and I’m sticking to it :beee:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Did you really have to mention Marsha?:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I wanted him gone to be honest but now that I know he is coming back I will get behind him 100%

I am hoping that the offence is more expansive next year, more deep shots, better running scheme and improved line. It needs to improve across the board. I don’t know if that’s likely with Ben another year older and his lack of mobility etc but I don’t think it’s completely impossible either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Some dead horses never die.

15. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    A "deep ball" for Ben is anything over 15 yards!

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want Ben back for 2021, improve the running game so he doesn't have to throw it 40 times a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They did give him the keys in 2019. I myself saw all I needed. Is Mason a NFL QB? Yep..... and that's not a bad thing. BUT he is not THE GUY. THE GUY does not get benched for THE DUCK... ever!

HACK

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If Ben could borrow masons deep ball and Dobbs legs he would be decent lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason is not the guy, should be obvious by now. Therefore Ben is called back to help Tomlin get in the playoffs. Agree with jeh though, don't see Ben finishing the season under center.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Frankenben

• Like Like x 2
  21. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    They didn't "give" him the keys. He was still working on his learner's permit and they said, "Hey kid, ever drive a Ferrari?" He wasn't prepared. "Giving him the keys" means putting him on notice in the offseason that it is his job to lose. THEN is when you see if he's THE GUY or not.

And even Brady has been benched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben Rudobbsberger

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's funny. Rudolph's deep ball accuracy is pretty suspect. Or did you mean balls deep instead of deep balls?

25. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    as bad as some of his lobbed INTs look that may be more like +5 yards

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2