1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4-round mock spawns next gen offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Get this to Colbert, stat. Go back to drafting/signing FA D in 2022, and we're a legit contender again that very year.

24: R1 P24 QB Mac Jones - Alabama
    55: R2 P23 TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State
    87: R3 P23 C Josh Myers - Ohio State
    128: R4 P23 RB Trey Sermon - Ohio State
    140: R4 P35 OT Dillon Radunz - North Dakota State

• Like Like x 3
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't break down tape or follow a lot of college football but some of the articles I have been reading seem to suggest Mac Jones is more a product of a powerhouse system rather than a bonafide star. That would be a flag for me. I was talking with a guy at work who is a Niners's fan and there have been links to them moving up for Jones or Trey and I was skeptical of Trey because of the small town school and how Wentz fared. I said if the Jets picked him it is a hell of a culture shock to go from Fargo ND to New York City and all the pressure. QB at a farmers school to starting QB in the biggest media market in the country is going to be a tough transition

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Love it, but surely Jones is long gone by 1.24? Most people think he won’t get past the Pats at 1.15

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am anti first round QB. But I wouldn't hate this draft.

I would rather go RB, OT, C, and then start addressing defensive depth.

I guess it all depends on who is available and when.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the biggest problem with this draft is that the first 4 guys will go sooner in each round and Sermon will probably go a full round sooner. We could get him in the 3rd though, I wouldn’t hate that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This would be great except for one major issue. Pittsburgh historically does not go one sided within the First Three Rounds. Prior to 2016, the last time the Steelers went one sided was in 1984; Louis Lipps, Chris Kolodziejski and Weggie Thompson. Ironically enough, those three were Offensive Players.

I do agree and will give @S.T.D credit for this; two of the top three picks likely will be on Defense. There is simply way too much evidence at present to suggest otherwise barring an EXTREME freefall of a player whom Pittsburgh has their eyes on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    agreed, hard choice for me if both Meyers and Sermon are there in the 3rd and neither position have been addressed, but like you said Meyers will likely be long gone, possibly before we draft in the 2nd.

8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Mac Jones is another Matt Leinart or Ken Dorsey. He's a system product, IMO. I'd pass.

I really like Freiermuth but I don't think they take a TE high.

I don't think Myers or Radunz fall that far down the board.

Sermon is a steal in the fourth round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I agree, but maybe his 2nd pro day turned some teams off. I think Lance is the guy to fall, but I think he's more of a project.

10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    My only concern with RB in the 1st is that, unless they're an all-time great, you don't want to sign them to a huge contract for their declining years. I'd rather spend a first on a 10+ year player.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I think his floor is higher than that. Super smart, accurate, anticipatory thrower. Chris Simm has him ranked 3rd in this class behind Wilson and Lawrence. Like Irl said, though, I think he'll probably be long gone by 1.24.

Change my first pick to Trey Lance and how does that draft look?

12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm good with not taking a QB at all this year. We need OL starters, a RB, and depth at every level of the D. I'd rather add talent all over and address QB next year with more picks and actually money for FAs.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No on QB in 1st. QB can wait until 2022. Roethlisberger and Rudolph will likely be gone... we'll need to sign a free agent QB and draft QB in the first.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I'm interested in the evidence. Are you able to summarize or link?

15. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Picks 1 and 2 will be gone in the top 20

16. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Outside of Lawrence (no way he won't be the first pick) and Fields (I think SF is gonna take him at 3), I wouldn't touch any QB in the first round.

I'd rather we get a RB or a LT.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Historically, the Steelers have never had Big Ben in his final year. First thing to consider is the "Ben Effect" that will push offensive acquisitions. Second thing to consider is that we simply have more need on the offensive side of the ball. Third thing to consider is that Tomlin's agenda/legacy is hitched to Ben's wagon. Tomlin won't be judged based on defensive production, or lack thereof. He will be judged based on the production of this year's offense, or lack thereof. He won't be able to survive another year of offensive ineptitude. We're loading up on offensive talent in the draft. Lock it in.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are correct. Pittsburgh will be locked in for Offensive Talent in not just this draft but likely two or potentially three drafts. That said and again, even under the Tomlin/Colbert Era, only one time did the team select their first three picks on one side of the Football. Given how conservative both Tomlin/Colbert have been in that regard in addition to the holes that now exist on the Defense and the natural inclination is that the Defense will receive attention in the draft.

I personally do not expect as much attention on the Defensive Side of the Football overall for this draft to begin with. That said, quality over quantity here; doubly so if Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah is available at pick 24. I really do not see any feasible way that the Steelers play a blind eye to him; doubly so since that today's League, rather a re emphasis of, deploying as many versatile Chess Pieces on Defense as possible. Pittsburgh already has two in Minkah and Terrell.

Adding J.O.K. to this defense would add yet another dimension that it did not have already. Not saying someone like Travis Etienne would not help but others like Trey Sermon would definitely be worth investing in later in the draft. Besides, no matter which Offensive Player we take, the highest priority of them all is still the Offensive Line; Offensive Center doubly so and no less. I seriously hope Creed Humphrey is in the Steelers plans UNLESS Landon Dickerson checked out via his medicals.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure thing!!!

Here you go!

Link is here good sir!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    JOK does a lot of damage from the outside/nickel spot, which was just vacated by Hilton. At the very least, you can play him there while game planning him as a rover.

I know highlights can make anyone look good, but this guy really is that good. Love when he robs Etienne and takes it to the house.

Alex Kozora mocks him to us at 24 and gives a nice write up on him:

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/kozora-2021-steelers-mock-draft-post-pro-days/

21. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Fair enough! I thought there may have been an actual write-up.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good picks except for the first one

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    colbert did say we can't fill the change to canada's offense in one or two drafts. maybe move each of the draft picks up one spot and drop jones. or drop jones and freirmuth and draft samuels at 1, myers at 2, surratt at 3, radunz at 4, and sermon at 4b.. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 of the first 3 draft picks will be Defense. We may go offense heavy after that.
    They know they still got Ben . They will worry about the O line. Which will be one of the 1st three draft selections.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That kid tackles! I worry that Bush might not have that playing speed he had before injury.
    I didn't like his coverage ability as it was, but his speed caused all kinds of blocking breakdowns.