1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kalen Ballage - RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Feb 10, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He has not done much in his career. He is apparently surprisingly effective as a pass catcher out of the backfield (29/36 for 166 yards in 2020) and he is a big strong man. If he can pass protect he may be worth keeping around but at Samuels expense rather than as a starter.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Were the Chargers the right system last year? Ekeler and Jackson averaged 4.6 YPC, Ballage 3.3.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not convinced that getting other backs will make that big of a difference until we can hand the ball off without the defensive players already in our backfield.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Him Snell and Mcfarland they might not draft a RB now.. I see no need to carry 4 RB'S when we are going to be a pass happy Offense.. I really see no need for OL either as all the routes will be quick.. I guess WR,TE, then CB is probably the best way to go..Or maybe LB ?

We could always move Edmunds to LB and draft a real Safety ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If I was Samuels I'd start putting on some weight and muscle while working on drive blocking. His only path to a roster spot is to become a better cheaper version of Derek Watt.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t read too much into this signing, they carried 4 last year. RB and OL will still be the focus of the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep probably , but I don't think it should be .We are not going to run enough to carry 4 RB'S..Ben not being able to play under Center takes away a lot of running sets ..So if all in year with Ben get him another WR and a TE we could use a scat RB maybe Travis Etienne would fit good.

8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I decided to not instant react and watch some film. I watched every play of Ballage's from last year.

His numbers on paper are awful. His play on the field is NOT awful.
    • He has nice hands in catching the pass and screen.
    • Protects the ball.
    • Runs tough and usually throws a little extra on the defender when finishing the play. Looks like he can run block just fine.
    • Some time now removed from his Dolphins tenure he does not have a lot of tread. He basically spent last year just staying conditioned. So this could be both the freshest hes been going into camps as well as the best situation for him only if Colbert continues to attack the run game hard in the draft.
    He won't be the starter day 1, obviously. But I think I'm making a solid bet here that he will NOT just be on the PS, and will be the #2. Those of you on the forums praising this signing even those his numbers were awful, I think I'm sniffing what youre sniffing. Especially in the Canada offense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Good analysis. This may be contrary to what another poster said about our scouting. I hear you about this Canada offense that I haven't seen yet and won't disagree with what you anticipate next season. But for me, this is still Ben's offense until its not.

10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ben not willing and or wanting to play under center takes away a lot of running sets. This coaching staff, hell the whole organization allowing Ben all of the leeway he gets on how the offense operates is one of the reasons I wasn't all giddy about his return. Even an average running game would make his life so much easier. Chucking the rock around out of the shotgun is how Ben wants to do things and it won't change until he's done, unfortunately.

Having said that, not much risk signing Bellage. Give him a chance to earn a roster spot, if not a starting job. Like the man said, he might already be better than anyone they have on their current roster

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe they will commit to the run this year and if they don’t, it’s still important to put the pieces in place for when Ben is gone after this year.

We also don’t know if it’s Ben can’t play under center or doesn’t like it. I think it’s more he doesn’t like it which I’m sure was a topic of discussion for bringing him back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm agreeing on that last Edmunds part.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Great call, Nostradamus.

And even though this kid's numbers are crap, he looks like he has good vision and hands. He isn't afraid of contact and he has some wheels. And he's got some shiftiness to him. He's definitely worth a shot in camp.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well if anything it shows either the Steelers brass actually read this board to make decisions, or they finally have listened to the calls to sign everybody.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    ...I'll take the third option. It's the one where it seems they have a bunch of decisions on a dartboard, close their eyes, and the closest decision to where the dart hits is what they go with. ;)

16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Watched the highlight video from earlier.
    I like how he pushes would be tacklers back 3-5 yards.
    Hits the hole, no dancing around.
    Haven't seen this type of running in years here.

17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Yup. He showed a nice stutter step and change of direction and then hit top speed quick. Looked decisive and explosive. Granted that it was a highlight reel, so we were seeing the best runs. Still, looks like he can run the ball. And with good hands out of the backfield, very well could push Samuels out the door.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Samuels should have a for sale sign at his home, if they draft a RB he's probably gone.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They will need 4 RBs the season is longer, and the roster is supposed to expand to 55 players.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ballage on 3rd and 4th downs with 1 or 2 yards to go he converted on 18 of 24 attempts, that's fifth in the league since 2018, certainly better than what the Steelers did in 2020.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This thread certainly aged well... :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    It takes more than a running back to run the ball. It's NOT our RB's that are the problem. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about this. Terrell Davis wasn't a great RB. He made it to the HoF because he ran behind some really good lines who zone blocked better than anyone in the league at that time. They also chop blocked and were a nasty bunch of mf'rs. But they got the job done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Certainly doesn't help the YPC average either.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That makes sense 4 is probably the right number..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    i would rather have mark ingram or stick with conner instead of ballage. maybe even leveon bell.

• Agree Agree x 1