1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade a third round pick for Sam Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No.

Him being signed means the Steleers now have three First Round picks from the 2018 Draft. Having to pick up two options via the fifth year option is tough enough. Now three?!

That would require salary cap gymnastics the which none of us have ever seen Omar Kahn perform!!! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL.

Seriously anyone who saw Rudolph's play and says he's better than D'Arnold is high on crack. MR was barely, if at all, better than Duck. And 2019 Steelers were a much better team than anything the Jets have fielded in 5 years.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers never lose to inferior QB's.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Rudolph- It wasn't the helmet to the head incident that screwed him up. It was the cheap shot during the Baltimore game, can't remember who it was but they came in under his chin on a head shot. He wasn't quite the same after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Earl Thomas, yeah that was nasty and it definitely did effect him afterwards. He was doing ok up to that point, it seemed to shatter his confidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    More like trading out a rotten banana for a rotten apple. Rudolph couldn't win his job back for a month or so. Once the NFL figured out how defend Hodges it was back to the first rotten fruit. Neither of them could hold onto their starting job as an NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    His 5th year option kind of kills his value. Teams will be able to grab him for free after this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The fact that it was even contested should tell you all you need to know about Rudolph. All that being said the smart thing to do would have been give Rudolph this full year to truly finalize and evaluate or trade for a guy like Darnold. But it’s Big Ben and the pistol offense!

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    so Rudolph did beat out Duck

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    yep...He beat him out.......But its like bragging cause your smart car just beat a scooter in a race..Mason has looked very Average behind center. Dont see him much more than a stop gap between the next real starter. Hope he proves me wrong!

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who said they were going to pick up Edmunds 5th year option :shrug:?

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    With the new formula his option is around $6.5m iirc, where it would have been over $10m under the old system. I’d be surprised if they don’t pick it up at that number. I know some people would still rather let him walk, but I don’t think they will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Why wouldn't they?!

Sam's fifth year is way more expensive than Terrell's to start out. For two, Safety Tandems like the Steelers have are very difficult to not only create but also retain. Most importantly, for three, who is to say that Darnold is beyond damaged at this point?!

Terrell is the furthest thing from damaged at all. If anything, he has now become a rock solid Strong Safety in the NFL; among the best Strong Safeties in the game entering the 2021 Season. Sam Darnold is not even within the Top 25 of QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Picking up a fifth year option nearly $20 million dollars for a QB who is likely beyond repair is an unimaginable leap of faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds is surrounded by talented players, he still isn't good in coverage, Darnold has played with garbage his whole time in NY.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Neither Terrell or Sam can control what is around them as that is not within their assigned tasks. They only can control how well they perform. Here in lies the kicker though;

Terrell has ascended year over year. Sam has descended year over year. Again though, even this is not the issue at hand here as my initial reply to the question is the ultimate reason why the Steelers should not and thankfully will not trade for Darnold.

Pittsburgh, or any team for that matter, is not picking up an option of nearly $20 million dollars, in full guarantees, to a player who is likely beyond repair at this point. That would be a leap that is comparable to Superman himself jumping from Earth to the Moon. The only way this happens is if the Jets would somehow elect to absorb some of the monstrous cap hit. Again though, here in lies the kicker;

Who says they have to?! In which case, the deal would be off.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    The Jets will not pick up his 5th year option, he'll play out his final year and become a free agent after the season. The Steelers will have the opportunity to pick him up next year without having to give up a draft pick and with Ben no longer around. There's literally zero point to trade for him given his contract situation and Ben coming back. He wouldn't even get the opportunity to play here in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't think it was a confidence issue, I think it was the concussion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Hell no, he is about to get waived. Then you can sign him for whatever you want when he clears waivers. No one (sane) is going to pick up that contract for a project. Any team desperate enough to actually claim him can select an equivalent project in the draft for cheap and 4-5 years of control so I doubt that will happen either. Hell, could we even afford adding him to the cap this year? How much would we have to move around?
    Do not trade for him for the same reason no one traded for Steven Nelson: They did not have to.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Correct, 1- Jets are going to cut him
    2 - he sucks

• Like Like x 2
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So Rudolph did beat out Duck?

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Did Rudolph beat out Duck? I bet he beats out Darnold in the career #s with more playing time.

Edit: even if he goes play for the Jets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Of course the concussion was the reason he went off injured, and it’s why he missed a few games. But even when he was cleared and came back he looked very unsure of himself in the pocket, not that he was particularly commanding in the first place. That’s what I meant.

24. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    No, he will be due a decent salary soon, we need to rebuild with a young drafted QB. That way we will finally have some money under the salary cap.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    what I’m saying is that his brain was scrambled and he came back too soon. Anyone who gets knocked completely unconscious like he was is going to take time. It looked to me like his decision process was slow after the concussion, which is understandable

• Like Like x 1