1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Ben to a new contract

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Figured this deserves its own thread. New contract, wonder if that means paycut.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Welp, hope you have it in you Ben. Let’s get it :herewego:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

“Adjust” being the key word in there, no pay cut I bet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No details on the number yet. He will be here for 2021.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No but probably what has been speculated about, cap hit will be around 29 million, could have saved 6 or 7 million by cutting him.

I’m still hoping they got the number down to around 24 million but I don’t know enough about this stuff as to how they would go about getting it that low without a pay cut.

6. Steelmatic83

Steelmatic83 Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Get in shape Ben

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Ugh. Oh well one more FINAL year and we move on. I still think he’s playing one more year than he should but what do I know.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He did take a pay cut, 19 to 14. Nice, Ben.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Anyone betting he is taking a pay cut?

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ah I pulled the trigger too fast lol. Nothing new

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    MYQB.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    And so it begins/ends. One final year. I hope I'm wrong about what he brings to the offensive table. I really do.

(So here's the positive spin on my opinion that is really gloomy. I just feel like being positive, even though I'm very skeptical.)

Ben and the offense suffered because of an unsettling number of drops and batted balls. Get those back and we are a different team with a higher level of success last season. Quite a few drives wouldn't have stalled. We left a bunch of points on the field right beside those balls that didn't make it to where they were intended.

A new OL concoction could work wonders for us. With the ability to pound the rock, Ben becomes more dangerous. A balanced attack takes pressure off the run AND the pass. Defenses have to start playing us honest. That allows Ben to use his experience to read defenses and exploit them.

Ben might be better accustomed to his elbow and arm strength after a full year under his belt. Improved accuracy and ability to dial in the medium to long-range passes will give Claypool and DJ the opportunity for some chunk plays. With Washington and JuJu (if possible) in the mix, we'll once again have one of the best WR groups in the league. If Ben has time and ability to get the ball beyond 10 yards with consistency, defenses are going to have to commit to stopping the pass and the running game will flourish.

All this bodes well for the offense.

(All that is riddled with more "if's" than substance. But like I said, I feel like being positive right now.)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm happy he is coming back, I wish he could have taken a little more of a cut to help us out, but oh well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was in the move on from Ben camp but I don’t mind him coming back under those circumstances at all. My issue was that there would be a tonne of dead money to deal with after he is gone. It should be more manageable now with this new contract.

Now to build what they can around him. They are still not going to have much money for free agency so they need to nail that draft!

Edit: $10.4m dead money next season by my back of an envelope calculations, assuming he retires

16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This a fantastic move for the Steelers and I'm sure one that's greatly appreciated by the front office and fellow teammates alike. The Steelers have a lot more flexibility for 2021. This is essentially the final ride for Ben in Pittsburgh, albeit is an incredible season; let's see where it goes!

• Like Like x 1
  17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Shouldn’t this be merged into the other Ben Threads. Don’t really see the point of having so many Ben Threads.

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If I'm TJ Watt I wait to extend. The long term future of this team is murky. They seem to be going all in in 2021, with a huge crash ahead in 2022. Guessing Colbert and Tomlin bail after next year and let the next poor slobs clean it up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Welcome Back Ben!! , now prove all the doubters wrong again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  20. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    My only issue with this is that for the entire term of Ben's career we have been saying if the Drives didn't stall we would be a different/better team.offense. Other than Ben and Tomlin everything else has changed at some point in Ben's career and here we are still having a constant problem with Drives stalling (and in essence not generating points on a consistent basis).

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    2.85 over the next 4 yrs. On the voidable end after this year. If he retires next year we owe 10+ towards the cap unless he's after june1 cut then we would spread it over 2 years. It actually puts us now roughly 4 mil under with the top 51 of 2.5 -3 under with the 53. We still need moves made.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The team is facing an almost total turnover of the roster over the next two years. It could go either way.

Two good drafts and some savvy free agent signings will keep them in the hunt. They will have some cap space next offseason for once.

If they don’t find some guys in the draft, including a QB it could get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Glad they worked it out. I still think right now he's a better bet than a new QB or Haskins or Randolph. I know the Steelers need to move on from Ben after this, but I'm happy to see him have another year to give it a shot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    When did he prove the doubters wrong the first time? Just asking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

The past few years all you hear was oh this team will go 6- 10, 9-7, 8-8 blah blah blah, Oh Ben cant play, he hurt his arm/ elbow, blah blah blah, Every year he has played well. Fix the line and running game and we are back in contention again.... Mark my words a lot of people will be surprised by midseason next year

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1